Is Byrd on it's way out?

With the Tenacious LW comming out and the MSRP being close to a FRN Cara Cara 2. I can't help wonder if this is the beginning of the end for Byrd?

IMHO there was a decent gap between the economy line byrd and spyderco. But that gap has now basically disappeared.

What do you guys feel the future is for byrd?

Last edited:
I think you can still buy a Byrd for about $20-30. They aren’t Spyderco in fit and finish but they certainly cut just as well, at least until it’s time for an edge touch up.

The new Harrier 2 is a brilliant design and maybe a little nicer than the Endela in its size range. Extra bonus that these models are still offered in G-10 while their Seki counterparts have been discontinued.

It’s a shame that the nicest Byrd models like the Raven will likely get undercut by the new Tenacious LW because the maker who does the Byrd BD1 knives does truly excellent work.

26095256-180E-4FCC-B1A4-9AA7BF9C16B5.jpeg If they were on their way out I doubt they would be doing color variants.

I still love my Endura but the Cara Cara2 feels a bit better to me and Spyderco’s 8cr steel is done correct.

i would have bought into the byrd line,
but just so put off by the oddly shaped
horizontal tear drop of a thumb hole....
or is that some graphic representation
of a claw or beak??!
that downward curved portion
just makes it so sad... just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Since they just put out the Waved Cara Caras I don't think they're likely going anywhere. If there were to be a major change coming I suspect it would come in the form of their lineup being reabsorbed into the Spyderco lineup rather than the models being discontinued.

Doubt it. Entirely different price market than the Tenacious line; a few dollars makes a lot of difference to some.

I've got a Cara Cara 2 and a Meadowlark 2. Bought the Meadowlark by mistake; too small 4me and will probably give it away w/something else that I want to sell.

Still waiting on the Cara Cara 2 Wave.

I was just kinda wondering as you don't see a lot of people talking or buying byrds even though they are fantastic knives for the price. They are my go to for gifts at the moment.

i would have bought into the byrd line,
but just so put off by the oddly shaped
horizontal tear drop of a thumb hole....
or is that some graphic representation
of a claw or beak??!
that downward curved portion
just makes it so sad... just my 2 cents.
Comet actually.

I was just kinda wondering as you don't see a lot of people talking or buying byrds even though they are fantastic knives for the price. They are my go to for gifts at the moment.
I gave a couple of Byrds last Christmas and one of the young ladies actually commented "This is my best gift this year" or something to that effect. This was coming from a teenaged daughter of a friend, so I figured she probably meant it, haha.

I gave a couple of Byrds last Christmas and one of the young ladies actually commented "This is my best gift this year" or something to that effect. This was coming from a teenaged daughter of a friend, so I figured she probably meant it, haha.

I was thinking I could justify giving my co-workers the Byrd rescue model for Christmas this year. Hopefully without looking like office weirdo by saying it's for keeping in your car for emergencies and cutting a seat belt. :D... Maybe not

They aren't going to be a huge topic on an enthusiast forum, as many budget knives aren't.

That said, when the recommendation for a budget knife comes up or an alternative to a clone, the byrds always mentioned.

As for not seeing people buying them, I bet spyderco sells a butt load of them to average knife users in big box stores all across the country.

I think you can still buy a Byrd for about $20-30. They aren’t Spyderco in fit and finish but they certainly cut just as well, at least until it’s time for an edge touch up.

The new Harrier 2 is a brilliant design and maybe a little nicer than the Endela in its size range. Extra bonus that these models are still offered in G-10 while their Seki counterparts have been discontinued.

It’s a shame that the nicest Byrd models like the Raven will likely get undercut by the new Tenacious LW because the maker who does the Byrd BD1 knives does truly excellent work.

I bought a Cara Cara in titanium scales. Fit and finish was fantastic!!

I don’t think Byrd is going anywhere.

When Spyderco puts out an Endura and Delica with the 50/50 choil like on the Cara Cara and Meadowlark, then you can worry...

I think the people who buy Byrd's just don't talk about knives much. They want a good knife they can beat up and not be out a bunch of bucks when they lose it or break it.

I think the people who buy Byrd's just don't talk about knives much. They

LOL!

I own 2 Byrds and 300 other knives and I talk about knives on BF quite a bit.

However, the reason I bought a couple of Byrds and want to buy another s precisely because I "want a good knife they can beat up and not be out a bunch of bucks when they lose it or break it." For a cost only around around $17.50-25 to me, doesn't matter what happens to any Byrd that I carry.

They are entirely disposable knives to me and that's the reason I've bought the ones that I have.

I think they will still be around.

Doubt it. Entirely different price market than the Tenacious line; a few dollars makes a lot of difference to some.

I've got a Cara Cara 2 and a Meadowlark 2. Bought the Meadowlark by mistake; too small 4me and will probably give it away w/something else that I want to sell.

Still waiting on the Cara Cara 2 Wave.

It can be more than a few bucks & you are right it does make big difference

Outside the States there can be a big mark up. I like my Spydies as you know. I tend to save & wait for a good deal

When I first read this thread I did quick comparison on Oz sites.

Byrd Cara rescue average price $89AUD
Spyderco rescue $145AU

I have the meadowlark full black combo blade. I got it a couple of years ago as I couldn't find a delica combo for less than $200 at the time.
The byrd cost me about $70 so worth a try.

I will add both ranges have become more available in the past couple of years, due to 1 handed opening laws being more relaxed.

Ebay always has plenty of both listed.

Still holding my breath for the return of the full-serrated crossbill in g10 (or frn—I’m not picky). Best box knife ever

Still holding my breath for the return of the full-serrated crossbill in g10 (or frn—I’m not picky). Best box knife ever

I missed out on those. My wife picked out a non serrated crossbill with stainless handle and it’s a good knife. I’d love one for myself in g10.

I have an frn full serrated hawkbill that I abuse the hell out of doing yardwork and it’s been excellent for what I use it for. I don’t worry about it one bit - just cut what needs cut, and put it away dirty.

Back