Is centrum a good multivitamin ?

There is an Italian you-tube out there explaining differences in the old types of cows [red cows ] and the newer breed . A great video explaining the chemical composition of both , protein, carbohydrates, etc and how long each takes to digest [as cheese ] . She spoke proper Italian with a good speaking voice. So even with my less than good Italian I understood most of it ! I thought milk was milk but the differences were great ! So red cow milk and cheese were very different , and the red cow cheese is far more more flavorful !!...Nutrition is a very complex subject ! You can get red cow cheese in the US now. ]Parmesan cheese type.]

Dissolving pills ? Many have coatings so it will in your stomach not your mouth . and then there are the time release type.

Micronutrient supplements are a waste of money. The supplement industry is 1/3 as big as the pharmaceutical industry, yet it is nearly completely unregulated. Very few claims are evidenced based, and supplementing anything has associated cost and risk. Don't blindly take something and assume it'll give you a benefit without getting tested for it. If you think you're deficient in whatever, discuss the risk/benefit of supplementing with your doctor. If they advise supplementation then do so. Then follow up with another test after a period of time to see if it's a benefit.

The reality is micronutrient deficiencies are not common in the United States. If you want to improve your health the answer is nearly always a lifestyle change. If you're fat, you're eating too much. Period. Change your diet however you like to put yourself into a calorie deficit and lose weight. If you're sedentary, get your ass off the couch and move, you'll live longer. "Eat less and move more" isn't very helpful to an individual with poor lifestyle habits, but it technically is the solution.

This idea that you can improve your health simply by buying something and taking it daily is flawed. The health/fitness/supplement industry is full of salesmen who literally make shit up. Don't fall for it. The Dunning Kruger Effect is everywhere.

*this topic triggered me a bit as you can probably tell.

Micronutrient supplements are a waste of money. The supplement industry is 1/3 as big as the pharmaceutical industry, yet it is nearly completely unregulated. Very few claims are evidenced based, and supplementing anything has associated cost and risk. Don't blindly take something and assume it'll give you a benefit without getting tested for it. If you think you're deficient in whatever, discuss the risk/benefit of supplementing with your doctor. If they advise supplementation then do so. Then follow up with another test after a period of time to see if it's a benefit.

The reality is micronutrient deficiencies are not common in the United States. If you want to improve your health the answer is nearly always a lifestyle change. If you're fat, you're eating too much. Period. Change your diet however you like to put yourself into a calorie deficit and lose weight. If you're sedentary, get your ass off the couch and move, you'll live longer. "Eat less and move more" isn't very helpful to an individual with poor lifestyle habits, but it technically is the solution.

This idea that you can improve your health simply by buying something and taking it daily is flawed. The health/fitness/supplement industry is full of salesmen who literally make shit up. Don't fall for it. The Dunning Kruger Effect is everywhere.

*this topic triggered me a bit as you can probably tell.
I felt the same way for years. Started taking a mult-vitamin daily about two years ago. I had stopped because it always seemed I got sick when I took the vitamins. Makes no sense.

My diet is not well balanced. Some days I don't eat anything because I am simply not hungry and then eat a lot the next day. I hope that the vitamin rounds things out a little, but I have no evidence to back that up.

It takes months to get a vitamin deficiency in most cases, so as long as over a week your diet is well rounded, its not like you have to do much more. As far a I'm concerned, when they can show evidence and are subject to regulation, I'm in, until then, I got better things to buy. Like knives.

Making up for a deficiency make take some knowledge and experiments. A typical case can be that you need a recovery dose first for a start Then you can drop back to a
lower maintenance dose .That recovery dose may be very high but without it nothing helps. Been there , done that as have some friends ! All changes should be done for at least one month !!

People without a gallbladder for instance will have a deficiency in vitamin uptake (from foods or supplements).
Even taking vitamins may not be enough to make up for it. It's said that bile salts can help make up for the limited bile the body has without the organ in order to process more.

Though in not sure the amount of actual tests done on this because bile salts iirc aren't even fda regulated. But it's an example of a person that would need help with the subject. Uptake of several vitamins like vitamin d in a regular diet etc is low. Even taking supplements alone may not be enough.and a multi would have to be avoided due to them having to many vitamins in it at the same time fighting the uptake fight. Lol

Searched for gallbladder and vitamin deficiencies, first two pages were nothing but trash selling supplements, and one really weak study about B12 and gallbladders. While there are some bits and pieces that might be true, vitamins are absorbed in wide range of ways, so making generalizations is kinda pointless. If you think you might have a deficiency, get tested, then get advice from your doc. As for Vit D, yeah its not well absorbed from food, because humans typically get enough from being out in the sun, and its not found in that many foods. Supplementing Vit D isn't straight forward because absorption depends on kidney function.

The science isn't that hard to find. But of course if "It's said" is good enough for your health, well, that's fine I guess.

Searched for gallbladder and vitamin deficiencies, first two pages were nothing but trash selling supplements, and one really weak study about B12 and gallbladders. While there are some bits and pieces that might be true, vitamins are absorbed in wide range of ways, so making generalizations is kinda pointless. If you think you might have a deficiency, get tested, then get advice from your doc. As for Vit D, yeah its not well absorbed from food, because humans typically get enough from being out in the sun, and its not found in that many foods. Supplementing Vit D isn't straight forward because absorption depends on kidney function.

The science isn't that hard to find. But of course if "It's said" is good enough for your health, well, that's fine I guess.
Tru. But yea I've got mine removed and ive been through the ringer with tests through the years and I definitely have a reduction of uptake of vit d and various others due to it. I don't take supplements anymore as most of it just doesn't work as well as eating right. But it's still very low. The few doctors I've seen don't know anything about vitamins be it from food or supplements and the internet is indeed all about selling crap products.
I do a fair amount of walking outside getting vit d from my eyes and eating right. But it's never enough. Indeed different types of supplements can be absorbed differently. For instance there are like 4 or 5 types of magnesium each different than the other.

In any case the whole vit market is a crap shoot and should be avoided mostly if at all possible

Tru. But yea I've got mine removed and ive been through the ringer with tests through the years and I definitely have a reduction of uptake of vit d and various others due to it. I don't take supplements anymore as most of it just doesn't work as well as eating right. But it's still very low. The few doctors I've seen don't know anything about vitamins be it from food or supplements and the internet is indeed all about selling crap products.
I do a fair amount of walking outside getting vit d from my eyes and eating right. But it's never enough. Indeed different types of supplements can be absorbed differently. For instance there are like 4 or 5 types of magnesium each different than the other.

In any case the whole vit market is a crap shoot and should be avoided mostly if at all possible
Vitamin D has nothing to do with your gallbladder. Also its a total myth that your eyes produce more Vit D than your skin, you are better off throwing on some sunglasses and rolling your sleeves up. There is good info out there, you just need to learn to find it. If anyone is lumping all vitamins all under one banner then they don't understand how they work. As for magnesium, yes there are many chemical forms of it outside the body, but once inside, its all the same, the only difference is how soluble it is, and thus how easily it is absorbed.

The way I see it, we shouldn't debate minutiae.

If your car door has a huge dent in it doesn't make sense to fixate on buffing out a tiny scratch on your hood.

If you're concerned with improving your health, losing weight, reducing risk of all-cause mortality, increase your quality of life, increase life expectancy, feel better, have more energy.... blah blah blah.... don't fixate on minor things that probably don't matter or that you can't control.

You should focus on the BIG things that will make a significant difference, like:

Eating a healthy amount of calories (google "TDEE calculator")
Eating mostly unprocessed nutrient dense natural foods
Getting adequate amount of quality protein daily (google "PDCAAS")
Developing a reasonable baseline level of fitness (strength and aerobic conditioning) and exercising regularly to maintain it
Get plenty of sleep
Maintain healthy psychosocial relationships with others

Some people have less than ideal genetics or pre-existing conditions that increase their risk of this or that. However, that doesn't diminish the positive effects that a lifestyle change can have.

The way I see it, we shouldn't debate minutiae.

If your car door has a huge dent in it doesn't make sense to fixate on buffing out a tiny scratch on your hood.

If you're concerned with improving your health, losing weight, reducing risk of all-cause mortality, increase your quality of life, increase life expectancy, feel better, have more energy.... blah blah blah.... don't fixate on minor things that probably don't matter or that you can't control.

You should focus on the BIG things that will make a significant difference, like:

Eating a healthy amount of calories (google "TDEE calculator")
Eating mostly unprocessed nutrient dense natural foods
Getting adequate amount of quality protein daily (google "PDCAAS")
Developing a reasonable baseline level of fitness (strength and aerobic conditioning) and exercising regularly to maintain it
Get plenty of sleep
Maintain healthy psychosocial relationships with others

Some people have less than ideal genetics or pre-existing conditions that increase their risk of this or that. However, that doesn't diminish the positive effects that a lifestyle change can have.
Ah man, that sounds like work! I mean, isn't that why they even bother to make those pills for us? I kid obviously.

Deficiency and toxicity are at epic proportions in the USA. Easy way to find the proof is to just look at all the sickness and disease we have. More than seventy five percent of us have at least one diagnosable disease. Wether it's allergies, autoimmune disease, clogged artieries, lung disease, or cancer.

One of the biggest single largest drain on the economy is the cost of disease. You don't have to be fanatic, and you don't have to be perfect. Just make the right choices most of the time instead of the wrong ones. Health is a choice and almost anyone can choose it.

The key to success is simple. The human organism is a magnificent self-regulating, self repairing system; it is capable of keeping you fully functional and in excellent health for well over 100 years of vital productive life. My job is to support the system. Your are the sum of everything that goes into your body, which includes nutrients, toxins, water, air, electromagnetic fields, thoughts, emotions, sunlight, and even noise. For the most part we control what goes into our body. Given adequate support, your body will reward you with the gift of good health and long life.

Last edited:
To answer your question about supplementation, my answer is yes. Unfortunately, we can no longer get sufficient amounts of certain vitamins and minerals in our diet. Although whole food should be our main source of nutrition, supplementation is required to make sure your cells are getting everything they need. Vitamin and mineral supplements are essential and remarkabley safe. But I'll be the first to admit that it is difficult to find brands that do what they are supposed to do and deliver high-quality nutrients. While the need for specific nutrients vary greatly according to a person's condition and unique biochemistry.
I used to take tangy tangerine, I think it's a very good supplement. Now I take Maxn- fuse nutritional replenishment.

The amount of energy you can produce may be the most important measure of your health.
Taking nutritional supplements that support energy production like CoQ10 is critical cofactors in mitochondrial energy production. Magnesium is essential to every step in the production of energy. B vitamins are critical for the body's energy levels. Acetyl L carnitine transports fatty acids to the mitochondria from damage.

To keep myself at the highest level of health, I must consume a diet that Mother Nature intended for me to eat. And I'm not totally there yet, especially around the holidays.....lol The consumption of processed foods must be kept to a minimum. As a simple guideline be suspicious of any food product with an ingredients label. Thousands of studies show that eating a raw plant-based is dramatically protective against ALL diseases. Such a diet includes fresh vegetables and fruits, nuts, seeds,and sprouted foods. Foods such as beans, lentils, vegetables, apples, avocados, raw spinach, steamed broccoli, and whole grains containing souluble fiber that provides many health benefits. Cooking more than a small percentage of your food increases the risk of disease because cooking Makes food less nutritious and deprives your cells of what they need to operate normally and keep you healthy.

I like to keep fresh fruit and nuts around as a better choice when I want a snack. A simple thing to do if you want to loose weight is keep sugar out of your diet. The average sugar consumption in the USA in the 1800s was about 22.4 grams of sugar a day. Remember, a banana, or apple have about 11 grams of sugar. Glass of orange juice, soda, about 45 grams. Sugar is useless, causes inflammation and a host of other issues. cancer loves sugar.

Today if your obese your sugar intake is probably around 500 grams or more a day. If I Keep sugar intake to about 25 or 30 grams, I get such a boost of energy. Feel better, inflammation fades away and I just feel good. Fasting, intermittent fasting are great ways to help achieve optimal health. If we fast for more than 72 ours our body starts to produce stem cells, detoxification, hormones and other organs start to repair and clean themselves. When I kept my sugar intake about 30 grams a day, I was doing a ketogenic diet. I lost 20 pounds in 30 days, I dId that for a couple more months. I still intermittent fast everyday. I got so used to, and comfortable not eating breakfast or lunch that I don't even think about it anymore. I save money, time, and I'm full of energy.

The human body is amazing, and I end with this. Listen to what St. Augustine said in 399 A.D. (And I paraphrase with this): Man travels hundreds to gaze at the broad expanse of the ocean. He looks in awe at the heavens above. He stairs at wonderment at the field, the mountains, the rivers, and the streams. And then he passes himself by without a thought--- gods most amazing creation. It is important that I think well, not egotisticaly, about myself, because the way I see myself has a direct bearing on how I see and treat others.

Last edited:
Agree with avoiding sugar and carbs in general. Healthy fats are good. Fruit while filled with vitamins should be kept to a minimum due to the sugars.
Carbs are everywhere and are the major issue in diets. People don't realize how much is too much and the products on the market have unnecessary amounts of them.

Keto isn't the best diet but variations of it and intermittent fasting is a good start to good diet but salad and healthy veggies etc help.

Some helpful channels on the subject matter
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheTdelauer
https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123
I wouldn't call everything they say as gospel, but they often help. In any case people here the word keto and just eat meat only, but it's way more than that and you can't just eat meat only. People want it to be easy but the human body isn't easy.

Krav, you're making alot of bold claims there man.

Unfortunately, we can no longer get sufficient amounts of certain vitamins and minerals in our diet. Although whole food should be our main source of nutrition, supplementation is required to make sure your cells are getting everything they need.

You're joking right?

Vitamin and mineral supplements are essential and remarkabley safe.

Provide evidence. That's a blanket statement.

The amount of energy you can produce may be the most important measure of your health.

Energy produced huh? Someone who is 500lbs and as a result has a metabolic rate of 3800cal/day produces(& consumes) more energy than I do . So they must be healthier? No.

Taking nutritional supplements that support energy production like CoQ10 is critical cofactors in mitochondrial energy production. Magnesium is essential to every step in the production of energy. B vitamins are critical for the body's energy levels. Acetyl L carnitine transports fatty acids to the mitochondria from damage.

Again, if you make claims like this, the burdon of proof is on you.

The consumption of processed foods must be kept to a minimum. As a simple guideline be suspicious of any food product with an ingredients label.

Generally speaking, I agree.

Thousands of studies show that eating a raw plant-based is dramatically protective against ALL diseases.

Completely ridiculous, provide evidence.

Such a diet includes fresh vegetables and fruits, nuts, seeds,and sprouted foods. Foods such as beans, lentils, vegetables, apples, avocados, raw spinach, steamed broccoli, and whole grains containing souluble fiber that provides many health benefits.

I agree. Those are full of carbs, wait... maybe carbs AREN'T bad... hmmm...

Cooking more than a small percentage of your food increases the risk of disease because cooking Makes food less nutritious and deprives your cells of what they need to operate normally and keep you healthy.

I like to keep fresh fruit and nuts around as a better choice when I want a snack.

Agreed, although nuts can be calorie dense and not very satiating. Be careful to not over consume.

A simple thing to do if you want to loose weight is keep sugar out of your diet.

You're making the assumption that eliminating sugar from anyone's diet will automatically result in a reduction in consumed calories. In general, for the average American, that's probably true (unless they're then going to do foolish things like put butter in their coffee). The issue is you're implying that sugar is the culprit that results in obesity. It's not. An elevated calorie intake causes obesity.

The average sugar consumption in the USA in the 1800s was about 22.4 grams of sugar a day. Remember, a banana, or apple have about 11 grams of sugar. Glass of orange juice, soda, about 45 grams.

ok.

Sugar is useless

It's not useless, it's tasty!

causes inflammation and a host of other issues. cancer loves sugar.

More complete BS. There is no evidence from studies conducted by anyone who is well respected in the evidenced-based academic circle. This is an internet lie that won't die.

Today if your obese your sugar intake is probably around 500 grams or more a day.

You're saying anyone who is obease is eating 2000 calories of straight sugar everyday?

Fasting, intermittent fasting are great ways to help achieve optimal health. If we fast for more than 72 ours our body starts to produce stem cells, detoxification, hormones and other organs start to repair and clean themselves.

More nonsense.

When I kept my sugar intake about 30 grams a day, I was doing a ketogenic diet. I lost 20 pounds in 30 days, I dId that for a couple more months.

That's a 2300 calories deficit per day. Unless you were 600lbs when you started, you're mistaken. Why go low carb? Before you listed high carb foods as being very healthy.

I still intermittent fast everyday.

Me too. I intermittently fast between meals and when I'm asleep.

My advice is to be a little more skeptical about the things you hear and read. "One study says this..." doesn't mean anything. Instead ask what is widely accepted to be fact by the academic evidenced-based community? I'll end my long rant with a quote too.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on"

Krav, you're making alot of bold claims there man.

You're joking right?

Provide evidence. That's a blanket statement.

Energy produced huh? Someone who is 500lbs and as a result has a metabolic rate of 3800cal/day produces(& consumes) more energy than I do . So they must be healthier? No.

Again, if you make claims like this, the burdon of proof is on you.

Generally speaking, I agree.

I agree. Those are full of carbs, wait... maybe carbs AREN'T bad... hmmm...

Agreed, although nuts can be calorie dense and not very satiating. Be careful to not over consume.

You're making the assumption that eliminating sugar from anyone's diet will automatically result in a reduction in consumed calories. In general, for the average American, that's probably true (unless they're then going to do foolish things like put butter in their coffee). The issue is you're implying that sugar is the culprit that results in obesity. It's not. An elevated calorie intake causes obesity.

ok.

It's not useless, it's tasty!

More complete BS. There is no evidence from studies conducted by anyone who is well respected in the evidenced-based academic circle. This is an internet lie that won't die.

You're saying anyone who is obease is eating 2000 calories of straight sugar everyday?

More nonsense.

That's a 2300 calories deficit per day. Unless you were 600lbs when you started, you're mistaken. Why go low carb? Before you listed high carb foods as being very healthy.

Me too. I intermittently fast between meals and when I'm asleep.

My advice is to be a little more skeptical about the things you hear and read. "One study says this..." doesn't mean anything. Instead ask what is widely accepted to be fact by the academic evidenced-based community? I'll end my long rant with a quote too.

"A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its boots on"

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sugar-and-inflammation

https://beatcancer.org/blog-posts/more-on-sugar-and-cancer

It's very obvious I'd be wasting my time answer all your skepticism. Do you do any research? Why don't you prove me wrong with all your sound knowledge. You stated I'm a liar. Show me?

All you showed me that your a very judgmental person, show us your facts partner.

When did I list high carbs as being healthy? What are you talking about?
Maybe certain oils or fats?

Show me your acedemic evidence based community work.

Last edited:
Link one is based on research from 1931, and I cannot find a source that confirms the statement that the Nobel prize had anything to do with sugar, but that is not surprising, after all, 1931. Could not find any research by Dr. Patrick Quillin, dude has some stellar SEO for someone who is a doc.
Link 2 Based on two studies of 29 and 47 patients respectively, Neither study references inflammation in its conclusion. The article draws a conclusion that isn't there. Is too much sugar bad for you, yes. Is drinking soft-drinks a great way to get more calories faster than any other, yes. The problem I have with most of this pop-health is that its grasping for a straw that isn't there, and isn't needed. Yes most people could eat healthier, but the human body is a feast-fast machine that takes whatever you can feed it. We are an omnivore. Will we be healthier with the right amount of the right food? Yes we will, but that's all. No great medical mysteries. No cancer cures. Sorry, but I can only assume that the writers of these articles have an alternative agenda, and it probably means someone's wallet. Either they are lying or they are stupid. I don't think they are stupid.

I take a 5,000 unit Vitamin D on my doctor's instruction after blood work showed I was deficient in that. I perceive no benefit from it, but I'm staying on it for now because my blood levels were quite low.

I also take magnesium which has eliminated my cramping at night. The bottle says take 2 pills a day, 1 seems to be enough to stop my cramping. This was also after my doctor recommended it because I take blood pressure medicine which can lead to dehydration and cramping. Basically, if you have a specific problem with cramps, look into magnesium.

Anecdotally, I have taken turmeric pills off and on for my arthritis and body pains. It seems to work, but I can't offer a specific result (like I can with the magnesium). I've read studies that say it is helpful. However, I haven't taken it for a while (its a bit expensive).

Vitamin B seems like a cure all, but I haven't really read any studies on it and my blood levels didn't show any deficiency there.

also take magnesium which has eliminated my cramping at night. The bottle says take 2 pills a day, 1 seems to be enough to stop my cramping. This was also after my doctor recommended it because I take blood pressure medicine which can lead to dehydration and cramping. Basically, if you have a specific problem with cramps, look into magnesium.
Try eating bananas or a large salad two times in the day. This will help cramps.

Can't argue much with vit d. Did new blood tests show your levels going back up?

turmeric can be very bad, you may want to avoid it.

Last edited:
Try eating bananas or a large salad two times in the day. This will help cramps.

Can't argue much with vit d. Did new blood tests show your levels going back up?

turmeric can be very bad, you may want to avoid it.

I already eat lots of bananas and salads. I only get the cramps when I am not being careful with proper hydration, but the magnesium helps out. I haven't been back yet for the blood work to see how the vitamin D is working. I read that vitamin D deficiency happens if you don't get enough sun? Strange to me because in the summer I have 4 lawns that I take care of so I'm in the sun every day even though I work in an office.

What have you read about turmeric? The studies I've read have been generally very positive.

Back