is CPM 3v REALLY that tough ? I'm thinkin YEAH !

First I want to make this clear DO NOT EVER do this with your knife ! I was surfing some youtube clips and came across this video of a CMP 3v knife abuse test . It is CERTAINLY abuse and I know GUY would not cover damage done by doing anything like this .

I'm posting this ONLY to show the extreme hard use that CPM 3v can take . Put your mind at ease that your GSO 3v knife will NEVER fail you under use that is anywhere near normal . Knowing that makes me feel good when I'm deep in the woods and depending on my knife .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcovoTyGiRg

Wow, serious abuse! If the CPM really can stand up to all that concrete maybe Guy is missing out on a potential customer base.

If he worked on a new design he could tap into the consumers that would need a 5/16 in. thick urban survival, tactical breaching, zombie imploding "sharpened prybar"...

...or not

Wow, serious abuse! If the CPM really can stand up to all that concrete maybe Guy is missing out on a potential customer base.

If he worked on a new design he could tap into the consumers that would need a 5/16 in. thick urban survival, tactical breaching, zombie imploding "sharpened prybar"...

...or not

Those are called Bussekin ;)

LOL yeah when I was this video it made me think of Noss's destruction tests on Knifetest.com . It does serve to demonstrate just how tough and shock resistant the CPM 3v actually is though .

Yes, I saw the brand of the knife in the video. The test just made me think of overbuilt knives that individuals might use to baton through a lawnmower or something equally ridiculous.

I did chop a cinder brick with a 3v knife at RC61 and a thin edge. I got a little denting but thats about it. I have a 3v knife at 62-63 which I would think would possibly chip if I did the same thing. I am pretty impressed with 3v but people need to realize the edge still gets fucked up.

Oh there is no doubt that the edge of the blade would damaged doing something like that . What I take away from a knife test like that is that if a CPM 3v blade can withstand being hammered through concrete using a steel hammer to pound on the spine , then it can handle all the chopping , batoning or any other hard use I would ever put it through and not fail me .

Last edited:
I'm just glad someone else had the resources and guts to do it and film it for the benefit of us all. I only plan on chopping and batoning wood!

Oh there is no doubt that the edge of the blade would damaged doing something like that . What I take away from a knife test like that is that if a CPM 3v blade can withstand being hammered through concrete using a steel hammer to pound on the spine , then it can handle all the chopping , batoning or any other hard use I would ever put it through and not fail me .
Absolutely. I watched that video and some of the survive ones before buying a bar of 3v.
On the flip side non knife people see that and some dont realize that the edge does indeed get messed up. I personally have seen how tough 3V is. Really impressive.
Standing on 3V at RC 62-63. At 45' I have flexed this thing multiple times.

3V is amazing. While that knife didnt break or really chip out, I highly doubt it could have cut anything other than butter afterwards

Back