Is CPM3V worth the extra money over 1095 Cro Van?

Is the 3V too hard to use with a Sharpmaker?

I've sharpened my Fiddleback Forge Production Camp Knife on the Sharpmaker with no problems. Just stay on top of it. If you let the edge get really dull it might take you quite a while, but after cutting through 500 feet of corrugated cardboard, I had the edge back to shaving sharp in about two minutes on the Spyderco. (Review Link)

So, if I can afford it buy one because I'll enjoy it, but if not I won't die because I have a BK16 strapped to my BOB?
It never hurts to have a backup ;) Perhaps differently than some people, I treat my BoB not only as something I can grab in a hurry, but also something I won't completely lose my mind over if it gets lost, destroyed, etc. My primary knife (or knives) stay right on my belt.

Keep on mind that transition temperature refers to "ductile to brittle transition", and toughness is directly related to ductility. 3V is so much tougher than 1095 (and 1095CV) to begin with, so it would be much better choice for subzero temperatures.

That said, you can go lower than -20F but you have to be aware of what you are doing. Batoning at -40F is just a very bad idea.

Right, for several reasons. Not only does steel get a little weird at really cold temps, things like wood (and knots in wood) get harder, too. Folding saws are the bee's knees for that sort of scenario...

I can be a prancing steel prince in my dandy clothes as much as anyone... And those men LIVED by their tools and knowledge. ...
I've been called an awful lot of bad names, but never a "prancing steel prince in dandy clothes". And if you traveled back in time to ancient Japan or Scandinavia or the Old West or wherever with a couple tons of modern 1095 or "super" steel and a way to HT it all the way we do now, you would very quickly become very wealthy. (Unless you just got murdered and had it all stolen from you... but you get the point.)

Making the Becker line in 3V or even S35VN just doesn't make much sense, given the whole philosophy behind them. The fact that they're using 1095CV at 56-58Rc is not a mistake or a lucky fluke. It's just about perfect for what Ethan has explained many times, mostly for exactly what he wants his knives to do, but also for the price he wants to be able to sell them at.

I searched on the forums for CPM3v in the "Becker Knife & Tool" forum but only 2 results.

I own the BK2 and looking for another lighter camping/hiking blade. BK16 is my 1st choice. but there is another brand coming out with a similar 4" knife made of CPM3V.

Just wondering if the extra cost is worth the steel upgrade. My thinking is if I get a BK16 with custom Kydex, the total invested will be about $100, more if I get micarta handles. At which point I could prob pay for the CPM3V knife.

thanks in advance.
I own both. I love my Cold Steel Magnum Tanto manufactured with CPM-3V. I have an extensive knife collection including the full Becker line as well as the full Tops line. Grant you, this is merely my opinion, but I've used 3V in self-defense against two animals, a dog, and a hog. I'll keep the 9" CS 3V Tanto by my side every time.

I own both. I love my Cold Steel Magnum Tanto manufactured with CPM-3V. I have an extensive knife collection including the full Becker line as well as the full Tops line. Grant you, this is merely my opinion, but I've used 3V in self-defense against two animals, a dog, and a hog. I'll keep the 9" CS 3V Tanto by my side every time.
A dog and a hog. Lynn Thompson would be proud.
The full Tops line?...
What’s that, like 2000 different models?:D

Whats so great about CPM3V? Sounds like stainless. 1095CroVan with Kabars super-secret heat treat is the most relaiable steel I've ever seen in outdoor knives. I wont use anything else anymore.
That’s like saying; “What’s so great about .999 Gold? I’ll stick with Copper because it’s cheaper and easier to buy”. You get what you pay for. Regardless of ‘reliable’ heat-treatment, 1095 and/or SK5(1080) steels have long been surpassed by far superior ‘super’ steels.

That’s like saying; “What’s so great about .999 Gold? I’ll stick with Copper because it’s cheaper and easier to buy”. You get what you pay for. Regardless of ‘reliable’ heat-treatment, 1095 and/or SK5(1080) steels have long been surpassed by far superior ‘super’ steels.

Pretty sure who you quoted, is chasing a different dollar now...... So..... What's Your major point? It's been awhile....

Pretty sure people like 1095 because of its ease of use....

Pretty sure people like 1095 because of its ease of use....

Fair enough. My only real issue with lower grade steels, is when that they’re often overpriced by companies like ESEE and Tops.... both great knife makers, just imagine if they committed to higher quality materials.

Theres a lot of companies that all have some nice designs. If beckers were made in all sorts of supersteels, we wouldnt have a reason to buy and experience these other knife designs by some of the other companies.

Im not sure someone can say 1095 is low grade steel. You could say theres a lot of low grade 1095 on the market. Just like there is low grade supersteels out there. No doubt esee uses a very high grade 1095.

Im happy with my experiences with 1095 cro van. Im fine with ka bars and ethans choice to use that steel. Dont get me wrong, i like my s35vn tuko along with my d2 d’eskabar. Id like to see them do limited quantities of their discontinued models in similar steels. Nothing crazy, one model every 2-3 years would be fine.

Back