Is CS going to start some form of "MAP" price control ?!? ?

Yes, we implemented MAP. It's not fair to retailers to lose business to large corporate online stores. If you love BladeHQ/Knife Center/SMKW/etc as companies, why wouldn't you want to buy your knife through them now at the same price as Amazon, which would support them and companies who actually care about knife customers and culture? We're not out to make more money through this, we're out to make it fair for everyone to compete in business. It actually lowered the price of many knives by the way. Leveling the playing field is beneficial for everyone and allows us to treat all retailers consistently. It also helps combat counterfeits, unauthorized retailers that won't do good business with you as a consumer, and much more.

Many products and companies you use every day, from food to clothing, have this policy.

Yes, we implemented MAP. It's not fair to retailers to lose business to large corporate online stores. If you love BladeHQ/Knife Center/SMKW/etc as companies, why wouldn't you want to buy your knife through them now at the same price as Amazon, which would support them and companies who actually care about knife customers and culture? We're not out to make more money through this, we're out to make it fair for everyone to compete in business. It actually lowered the price of many knives by the way. Leveling the playing field is beneficial for everyone and allows us to treat all retailers consistently. It also helps combat counterfeits, unauthorized retailers that won't do good business with you as a consumer, and much more.

Many products and companies you use every day, from food to clothing, have this policy.
Thanks for your reply . Many of your customers will strongly disagree !

Anyone who has had issues with their products through companies who don't care about them will understand why we did it. If you've ever received a fake knife, dealt with a company who won't repair/replace your knife, received a second hand knife through a busy returns system, or felt let down, you'll understand.

Our mission is not to be a cheap knife company. We make quality knives at affordable prices and this is how we do so. I'm not sure how doing what's best for our customer is a controversial topic. We have your best interest in mind. We have been in business for 40 years, we know how to take care of our community. Do you think we wouldn't consider all options before implementing a policy like this? Without our customers, we don't have a company. Many will understand, some will not.

MSRP prices have not changed. We have not hiked prices up for profit. There is simply a minimum price that dealers are permitted to sell them at. Amazon cannot sell lower than "insert knife retailer", thus giving "insert knife retailer" the opportunity to gain your business and treat you as a valuable customer rather than a number and a shipping queue on a time limit rather than a quality limit. There are people in the world who still value relationships rather than the bottom dollar. If they didn't, companies like BladeHQ, etc would be out of business due to companies like Amazon, eBay, etc and their pricing. There is a reason why people buy knives at full retail from us every day, and at discounted retail pricing from our authorized dealers. It's because they care about the service. Now, the service can be had at the same price as the competition that lacks service. This is the best possible solution to combatting the problem of poor service and our products being inferred as lesser quality.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for your understanding.
What I understand is that you have decided to take away our choice of dealing with a seller whose service "may" be sub par but has a great price or buying from a company with stellar service at a higher price. MY money, it should be MY decision. (By the way, I've purchased many of my CS products through Special Projects not just low price sellers). :rolleyes:

So when will MAP be fully implemented? I see some models are reflecting MAP pricing while others are not.

Seems ok to me.

MAP is required for an advertisement of price but not required by a seller to sell at.

Many retailers may offer a discount at the cart or checkout.

Plus MAP helps maintain a brands price integrity.

Am I missing something?

Seems ok to me.

MAP is required for an advertisement of price but not required by a seller to sell at.

Many retailers may offer a discount at the cart or checkout.

Plus MAP helps maintain a brands price integrity.

Am I missing something?

Thank you for being understanding. We appreciate your support.

MAP while not all good isn't all bad either and while I am a bigger fan of Spyderco products than CS their use of MAP hasn't made me stop buying though it might have at times made their offerings less compelling options and I would assume this will be true for CS as well but ultimately it won't hurt any of us it just might slow our buying habits or push some alternatives up on our lists.

Glad CS joined the rest in this MAP pricing, it caused me to slow way down on buying from the other companies and now I will slow down on CS as well. Not like you need so many knives anyway. If I can't get a deal it's 10x easier to just not buy!
Unfortunately , there's all those up and coming Chinese companies that I have yet to sample with very attractive pricing and great reviews . :p

This is unfortunate, as Cold Steel for me was a brand that was appealing to a large extent due to their impressive value, and now the very knives I was interested in are more expensive across the board. I still love the brand but I think this change will lessen my enthusiasm and likelihood of buying more.

Am I missing something?
In my opinion, yes, you are. :rolleyes: If you don't get "what", I can't explain any further. (for one thing, "many" retailers are NOT "all" retailers; some find that process difficult on their sites.) :(

Last edited:
Every time a new knife manufacturer announces a new Price Control Strategy, I read a few customers who have no problem with it and many who have issue with it. CRKT and Cold Steel did it this year. It is anti-competitive and does not benefit the end user. However, most of the dealers are ecstatic as they benefit. In the end, we pay more for knives and that is not a positive.

Personally, I have not bought a Zero Tolerance, Spyderco or Benchmade at MAP price since they implemented MAP pricing. They are overpriced. I will NOT buy another CRKT due to UPP pricing. I will not buy another Cold Steel knife at the MAP price. I buy most knives now from the secondary market as those prices more accurately represent true market value based on supply and demand.

Knives are a hobby purchased with discretionary income. I don't HAVE to buy them. In fact, I have more than enough knives to last me the rest of my life without ever sharpening them when they get dull! Knife prices have gotten ridiculous and it is time to pull the plug.

Last edited:
Every time a new knife manufacturer announces a new Price Control Strategy, I read a few customers who have no problem with it and many who have issue with it. CRKT and Cold Steel did it this year. It is anti-competitive and does not benefit the end user. However, most of the dealers are ecstatic as they benefit. In the end, we pay more for knives and that is not a positive.

Personally, I have not bought a Zero Tolerance, Spyderco or Benchmade at MAP price since they implemented MAP pricing. They are overpriced. I will NOT buy another CRKT due to UPP pricing. I will not buy another Cold Steel knife at the MAP price. I buy most knives now from the secondary market as those prices more accurately represent true market value based on supply and demand.

Knives are a hobby purchased with discretionary income. I don't HAVE to buy them. In fact, I have more than enough knives to last me the rest of my life without every sharpening them when they get dull! Knife prices have gotten ridiculous and it is time to pull the plug.

Just think of it as a luxury tax! It certainly seems like the manufacturers think we're going to buy their knives no matter what they cost. I remember when nearly any factory folder went for about 100 tops. All this we're only doing this for your own good only goes so far. If the manufacturers truly believed MAP helps the end user out they should only provide product to the select dealers that go along with what they want. Flooding the market with product then whining because some sell a bit cheaper is nonsense.

Daniel Daniel you called that one right. lesson learned. Daniel says it...listen. no need to get clarification...:)

I'm no fan of map but is what it is.....only good side is dealer has to provide better service, lower minimum or free shipping or some other way to earn business. since price point and volume isnt there anymore. so be it......

This won't end well for anyone.

I doubt customers will be thrilled with the price increases.

Last edited:
I'm skeptical of MAP. Isn't there another way to subsidize brick and mortar without shouldering the consumer with a large price increase?

Back