Is it just me or is Benchmade really falling behind.

I've recently purchased 2 Benchmades, a 940-1701 and a 698. Both arrived without issue and have really good F&F. The 940 I asked to have inspected, but the 698 came great sight unseen. Whether or not they've stepped up QC or I just got lucky, IDK, but I'm very happy with both. Also, both have 20CV steel. Are they falling behind...no. Are they continuing to do what they know, what is safe for them, and what is proven...absolutely.

I just find that s30v is harder to sharpen and easier to chip, for little traded improvement over s35vn.
I think they are both similar. S30V seems to have a little more wear resistance, but honestly my contention is the idea that one is better than the other. Switching over to S35VN is mostly for manufacturers to save on their stone cost than some great and meaningful evolution to the end user.

I think they are both similar. S30V seems to have a little more wear resistance, but honestly my contention is the idea that one is better than the other. Switching over to S35VN is mostly for manufacturers to save on their stone cost than some great and meaningful evolution to the end user.

Whatever the reason I find s35vn feels way more responsive to my sharpening media. If there were two identical knives one in s30v and the other in s35vn I would take the latter each and every time.

I find that any disadvantages s35vn has to s30v are immaterial compared to the advantages it has.

I have quite a few Benchmade knives. I love them but right now there's nothing that gives me the desire to chase one down.

The bug out is a cool design and an innovative path but not really my bag. The CF scales coming out are cool and something Benchmade should have done from the start. A cheaper one and a CF one.

The Anthem had me going when it was announced. I declared on here and everywhere else I'd have one. The integral axis lock, S90V, lots of Titanium. Then half the posts on here and elsewhere showed uneven grinds and it seemed like only a quarter of the knives posted were centered. Kinda took the wind out of my sails.

I do like the G10/20CV grips. Give people an option on a classic design.

I remember when the Loco was announced. I was excited by the silhouette. I thought "Yeah let's get crazy" . G10 and S30v.. Not really Loco, kinda boring. Hell I'd have taken G10 and M4/3v/4v or if they really wanted to get nuts DLC'd Al/Ti and Rex 121/Maxamet but nope, same old same old.

Of the big production companies right now I think ZT has the edge lots of cool designs, working with a lot of designers, interesting sprint runs and solid materials that people want. Spyderco is doing the same but on the mad scientist level. I finally gave in a sense bought a PM2 because I can't resist CF and M4 but now I have to buy another just to see what Maxamet will do.Benchmade built its name on great designs and rock solid CS but if they don't work out the QC problems people aren't going to buy in to the experience.

I feel like BM is played out at this point in time, at least for me. That doesn't mean I don't still own them, just nothing new.
Some of the older models are hard to beat, 760 LFTI for one.

I carried Benchmade for a while and then got away from them. I've been really impressed with the knives that I've purchased lately and I'm carrying.

551-1702
M390 is probably my favorite blade steel and I love the micarta handles. I bought this with the intent that it would be my anywhere/everywhere edc. I really like the classic lines of the grip and the updated materials really pushed me over the edge. I like the -1 Grips as well but something about the black micarta made me jump over them.

I had NO intention of buying this knife. I felt it was overpriced and I've never thought I needed a knife that light. I was going to buy a mini grip for an "around the house/gym shorts" knife. 2.5 ounces is plenty light for that but all of the positive feedback from the Bugout made me want to try it. I'm glad I did. I didn't like the blade shape in pics, I didn't like the color in pics, and I didn't think the knife was worth the price tag but now that I have it I think the blade shape is exceptional. It is a CRAZY slicer. The blue handles look better in person and don't bother me like I thought they would. The lightweight make it a perfect "gym shorts" knife while the length gives me more purchase. I love that knife.

I looked at this knife at a knife shop while on vacation this summer. The Black Class has never really appealed to me because I don't need my knife to look/feel tactical. I'm more of a blue class guy, I guess. With that being said there was something about this one that spoke to me but my wife was having some health issues and I didn't want to spend the extra cash. The health issues turned out to be non-existent and a couple of weeks ago my local guy got in a 570 and I had that same feeling. I purchased the knife and made the 551 I mentioned earlier my office edc and this one my jeans/weekend EDC.

All three of these knives have materials that I like, fit the roll that I expect them to fill, and we're priced at a level that I feel good about purchasing them. Fit and finish has been exceptional and I know that Benchmade has the best CS in the business. It's nice to get a friendly voice on the phone that is willing to send you free parts when you need them or have you send in your knife knowing it will get taken care of.

As with any company they can make improvements and sure, I'd like to see some other options besides S30v. Some models may not offer the value that others do but I can point that out in most knife companies lines as well.

Whatever the reason I find s35vn feels way more responsive to my sharpening media. If there were two identical knives one in s30v and the other in s35vn I would take the latter each and every time.

I find that any disadvantages s35vn has to s30v are immaterial compared to the advantages it has.

If I had to boil down me experience of the minute difference between S35VN and S30V it would be to say that S30V has a very slight advantage with edgeholding and S35VN has a very slight advantage in toughness.

That said, I think that Benchmade gets more out of its S30V than anyone else, bar none. They have their HT figured out and I have no complaints about it.

If I had to boil down me experience of the minute difference between S35VN and S30V it would be to say that S30V has a very slight advantage with edgeholding and S35VN has a very slight advantage in toughness.

That said, I think that Benchmade gets more out of its S30V than anyone else, bar none. They have their HT figured out and I have no complaints about it.

Well said, an opinion you can trust.

There is nothing worse than having a steel with a lot of performance being heat treated soft to allow the "average" user to sharpen it. Customers pay a premium for a high end steel yet there is a lot left on the table with regard to potential because of the heat treat. But they get to feel good thinking they are varying around a "super steel".

From edge retention tests with legitimate data it seems that s35vn lasts much longer than s30v cutting rope or cardboard. Just look up Ankersons steel tests or Cedric Ada youtube channel.

S35VN is absolutely better in every way. Especially at maximum hardness levels.

I am a little late to the game regarding this thread, but I wanted to comment on the Axis lock being loose. You can always tighten the pivot screw to adjust the tension to your liking. My tip up knives, like the Griptillian, are carried in the front pocket near my hip. This provides secondary protection from the blade coming open, because it is wedges against the end of the pocket. If others carry their knives in the same way, that may be why they do not see looseness in the lock that you experience.

From edge retention tests with legitimate data it seems that s35vn lasts much longer than s30v cutting rope or cardboard. Just look up Ankersons steel tests or Cedric Ada youtube channel.

Really depends on the HT.

To be honest I used to defend Benchmade through and through. Still do, still love them. But with that being said,,, I have been carrying a rotation of Chris Reeve knives and the quality control is unexplainably better. It's not even remotely close. If I were to get a new Benchmade I must be honest....i would once again be crossing my fingers hoping it was in decent shape while in the mail towards me.

To be honest I used to defend Benchmade through and through. Still do, still love them. But with that being said,,, I have been carrying a rotation of Chris Reeve knives and the quality control is unexplainably better. It's not even remotely close. If I were to get a new Benchmade I must be honest....i would once again be crossing my fingers hoping it was in decent shape while in the mail towards me.

Of course Chris Reeve is better the two are not in the same class. Reeve doesn't put out as many knives as Benchmade and their tolerances are tighter. That's what you're paying for when you buy a CRK. But CRK isn't immune to issues in their production line and when they happen its hard to be as understanding when you just dropped $450 on what you expected to be perfection.

From what I've read, CRK will make it right. Just as they should. Or any other maker for that matter.

Would agree most models seen this year we're kinda, " boring", 87 looks awesome but price is insane, would like to see more black class being released. I tend to gravitate towards models like 275 810 615 Loco bedlam arvensis ect. And I'd really like to see some cheaper balis being released

From what I've read, CRK will make it right. Just as they should. Or any other maker for that matter.

They will. They're a reputable company and when I have purchased CRK's I had no question about the service I would receive. I was just stating that CRK as tight as they are aren't immune to issues.

I'd definitely push back on the idea that this year's lineup of Benchmade's was "boring". Between the 781 Anthem and the 535 Bugout they've put out two of the most interesting and innovative new models in quite a few years. Add to that the number of excellent dealer exclusives of classic models (551, 940, etc) in interesting configurations with premium materials and you've already got a solid years worth of new products in the books.

AND they aren't done yet.

Of course Chris Reeve is better the two are not in the same class. Reeve doesn't put out as many knives as Benchmade and their tolerances are tighter. That's what you're paying for when you buy a CRK. But CRK isn't immune to issues in their production line and when they happen its hard to be as understanding when you just dropped $450 on what you expected to be perfection.
I fully agree. I was basically saying I don't really think I noticed these issues Benchmade has as much until I got into CRK is all. Love Benchmade, always will. These things being adressed are a good thing. I wouldn't want to give the impression I'm writing off a Benchmade knife. Simply conversing on my experiences

Back