Is it just me or is the Anthem not really a looker? Disappointed purchase

I mean, he did explain how the finish and color on his appeared different than in the pictures online. It's a valid argument, different lighting can cause the finish to appear differently. It's kinda hard to convey all that in a title though.

I really like the Anthem.. My only complain was the clip and that can quickly be fixed. The rounded finished spine on the blade reminds me of a Sebenza finish, very smooth action.

What a strange thing to complain about on a public forum. I'm sorry you did not like your knife, but your requirements for what makes a knife good seem to peculiar that it doesn't seem fair to hold any manufacturer to them...

Shoulda got a sebenza! ;) lol.

I didnt like the anthem either at first...feels like a brick...still don’t like it.
Glad it worked out for you OP.

From my experience, almost every single premium folder I had all did not have the blade or tip or bevel touching the table. The whole blade is suspended. Every ZT i had; ZT 0452 0460 0462 0470 0620, none of their blades touch the table.

My other Benchmades the Crooked River and the 860 Bedlam I had before, their blades also didnt touch the table.

Besides Emerson knives which is kind of expected for half ass in the luxuries and fit and finish department, Ive never had a folder with a bevel or tip touching the table that costed more than like $170USD.

For me it's a big deal because every time you lay the knife down you're damaging the bevel even if its only a bit.

Update: So I sold that Anthem a few days ago on the canadian exchange forum (im in Canada).

Restarted my search for a different knife in that price range. I just kept stumbling upon pictures of the Anthem again and again and damn it looked good in pictures. The bronze handle is a deep rich colour and you cant tell how ugly the stonewash is. But even though I knew it didnt actually look that good in real life as I just had it in hand still days before, I just couldn't resist taking another chance, browsed online and found a good deal for it at some random local gun shop, and yup, this morning I headed out and picked up another Benchmade Anthem lol

So this Anthem was not as perfect as the first one I got; the fit and finish and quality control on the first Anthem I got was next to perfect. (Except for the tip touching the table, but that applies to all Anthems).

On this new one I got today, the blade was off centered in the tiniest amount. But what really highlighted the off centering was that you can see that bevel grinds were uneven.

The pivot was much harder to adjust and get right compared to the first Anthem, and the counter screw spun with the pivot when adjusting, while the first Anthem had a solid counter screw pivot. And for some reason I feel like the stonewash on the blade of this one is a shade darker than the first Anthem.

But it's actually growing on me. I'm starting to like it more and more.

I think that I was just expecting too much the first time I bought it, because of all the hype and reviews saying how incredible it was.

I'm glad that I gave it a second chance:)

at the expense of repeating myself, "sheesh, whatever..."
ETA: I have several knives that the blade touches the table when laying on it's side, 0450CF comes to mind...

Alright so I messaged many knife modders and none of them polish. Just got this mastercraft rotary tool kit for a bargain, on sale for $35 from $129, and some polishing compound. Time to go to town on this blade! Finally getting rid of that stonewash
20200609_143825.jpg

Yes, because its gonna end up with a rolled tip
Since this post I've started thinking about how the tips of my knives rest (you've implanted a strange idea into my head), and I noticed that all my kitchen knives rest tip-down on the surface. If there is one knife that gets picked up and placed on a hard surface (quartz countertop in my case) the most, it is a kitchen knife.

I have to admit that I rarely put a folding knife down on a surface while it is opened, my reflex is to close it before putting it down unless I'm picking it up and putting it down constantly for a particular job/task. The Axis lock is so easy to open/close, why not just try to change your workflow?

Just to make it clear, when the blade is open, when you lay it down presentation side up, the tip of the blade touches the table

That may be rhe pickiest of nits/non issue complaint I have never seen.

I mean no offense, really, but a blade lying flat when I open it, and set it on a table has never even occurred to me as an issue. I also don't believe I will ever add that to a list of boxes to check.....

Someday I hope to get an anthem and mod it by milling down the grooves in the middle of the handle and putting in c.f. inserts. That would be dope, IF I didn't mess it up.

Speaking of messing things up, I recommend not using the rotary to polish right by the edge, and dip in water frequently. Then finish the polish at the edge manually. Even if you are only using a felt wheel with polish, that can overheat a thin edge.

Last edited:
Yes, because its gonna end up with a rolled tip

Wait...what??? A rolled tip from setting your knife down?

If that happens, your knife is made of taffy?

If you really think it is an issue, set the knife down on the side without the clip???

32 years of using knives.... and never had even the slightest issue with a blade tip dulling, let alone rolling from setting the knife down, and having the weight of the tip make the side of the tip/blade touch.

As for taking a dremmel to the blade, I have seen very poor results from doing so.

Make sure you don't care about loss of value/resale before taking a rotary tool to the surface of your knife.

But I look forward to your results.

So just an update. I just got a Sebenza 31 in Boomerang Damascus and the tip touches the table. I guess i was pretty silly to think this I a big deal if such a legendary knife did this too. Anyways it doesnt bother me anymore.

As for the polishing on my Anthem, it turned out great! I polished the axis lock and the thumb studs, and did the grind face to a satin/semi polish. I kept the stonewash on the flat face and also did as best I could to tape up the logo to preserve it, which proved to be worth the trouble.

Here they are20200617_135246.jpg 20200615_125352.jpg

So just an update. I just got a Sebenza 31 in Boomerang Damascus and the tip touches the table. I guess i was pretty silly to think this I a big deal if such a legendary knife did this too. Anyways it doesnt bother me anymore.

As for the polishing on my Anthem, it turned out great! I polished the axis lock and the thumb studs, and did the grind face to a satin/semi polish. I kept the stonewash on the flat face and also did as best I could to tape up the logo to preserve it, which proved to be worth the trouble.

Here they areView attachment 1360791 View attachment 1360792

literally every knife that has a pocket clip will do this if you set it down on the clip. at least it happens on all of mine that i've checked, from CRK's to shiros (and benchmades!). if it's an issue, lay the knife down clip up. problem solved.

Back