Recommendation? Is it worthwhile to EDC a pry bar / multi to "save your knife

I see a bewildering plethora of pocket EDC pry bar/ multi thingamajigs on the market . o_O

I'm not even sure what some of them are suppose to do . Some look SD oriented , maybe for those who can't carry a knife ? :confused:

Many are made from titanium and pretty fancy and expensive . Man jewelry or useful tool ?

Have you found any that are useful to you as a tool to save abusing your knife , or otherwise worth carrying ? Or did you decide they are a fail .

Photos requested ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+best+edc+pry+bar+multitool+&t=osx&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

I just use the bottle opener on an SAK cadet for most prying tasks. The "EDC prybars" always seemed like Instagram pocket fodder that looks good on a hank.

Unless you have some specific task in your everyday routine that requires a more substantial prybar I suspect an SAK will have you covered.

It can save your knife whenever you need to pry or screw something. Back when I tried to just carry a knife, I wound up also carrying a pry tool. They can be very handy and come in many different configurations. Now I carry a Leatherman and Victorinox with my knife.

CbIrqT0.jpg

lfx7UAD.jpg

I carry a pry tool occasionally. I only have two - one was a gift from another member here; the other was purchased because I thought a slightly longer, more utilitarian tool might be useful.
I wouldn't say I use them often... but, the reality is, I wouldn't say I use my knives often, either; but I still carry (at least) one every day. I've used the pry tools to open boxes at work when it wasn't appropriate to use a knife, to scrape, and to pry. To save my knives? Probably, to some extent - since I've started buying more expensive knives, I have been more careful about how I use them.

Last edited:
I have a generic prybar w/ screwdriver bit on my keychain.

I keep a custom prybar in a Cajun leatherworks pocket organizer that I keep in whatever bag I’m carrying that day.

Organizer includes:
Custom Prybar w/paracord lanyard
Leatherman sidekick
Streamlight pen flashlight
Dolphin butane lighter
Zebra F-301 pocket pen.

As far as using a knife as a prybar...the only blades I would use that way are the izula, gerber 06, and the Spyderco Battlestation.

The Spyderco Battlestation, imo, is an extremely funky but versatile knife. The blade is just under 3 inches w/ a full-sized handle that is comfortable in multiple grips. The straight portion of the blade is katana sharp and easy to keep that way (VG-10). The blade tip is like a rhino horn, thick & strong, making it an excellent legal carry self-defense folder when combined w/ the aforementioned grip/blade qualities. The tip is strong enough to pry w/o worrying about snapping. The modified Tanto also works well as an ice scraper in a pinch. Useful blade if you can get past the aesthetics.

Last edited:
I hardly ever need to pry anything but when I do I just jerk out the XM-18 or 551 and do it. What it was made for so why not. As long as it’s not something that’ll scratch it all up bc unless it’s an emergency I can see no instance were scratching up an expensive knife makes sense. Carrying anything other than a modern and traditional would benefit me none

Off and on I have a Mosin Nagant sight adjustment tool on my keychain. It's a good prybar and slotted screwdriver. It'll open bottles and boxes. It gets through airport security. It also performs adjustments on my M38 Mosin Nagant rifle (go figure!).

Zieg

Save your life, gotta have? No. Opening beers and other tasks, yes they are handy. For under $15, they are worth throwing on a keychain.

Absolutely. You never know when you'll need one, but the day you'll need one, you'll be happy to have it.
And if you're claustrophobic, it's a fantastic pacifier.
BNcSgNX.jpg

My wife got me a Boker pry bar for Christmas. I like it. It's got a bottle opener cut out, a good hook for leverage, a prying edge that busts open boxes in short order.

It saves the edge of of my knife from doing all the tasks it's not really meant to perform.

Plus it's not scary and has a pocket clip so it rides in my off hand pocket easily.

I always have a NiteIze on one key chain and a 3" Widgy on the other. It's not something I use everyday but sure is handy when you need it, because I won't pry with my knives.
f5oL75D.jpg

Usually carry a cadet as a second knife. If I need to pry something it’s more than likely something I can do with the flat screwdriver. I really don’t pry much.

I picked up a small 4" titanium pry bar off Amazon to put in my knife tool kit. Has a small clip if I decide to carry in my pocket. The pry bar works well with my Wiha tools and my other miniature tools I have in my Pelican 1040 Hi impact plastic water proof case. All my minature tools allow me to do virtually any type of knife repair.
One thing that I did not see in the discussion is the cool factor. We all are aware what this is. The ultimate cool pry bar in my book is the Lynch NW All Access Pass Vi.2. Comes in a variety of colors, titanium and is a pry bar, beer opener, screw driver. A lanyard and the famous Lynch carry clip is included for $98. I was fortunate enough, depending on your point of view, to order one today from Blade HQ. Tickled to death.
If I carry my 511 lite, leatherman wave, pry bar, wallet, cell phone, Spyderco, and my Springfield 9mm I have a small tactical carry case that fits over my shoulder(purse). It is just large enough and discret for all of my necessary items in todays world. I do carry it often and everywhere.

I just use the bottle opener on an SAK cadet for most prying tasks. The "EDC prybars" always seemed like Instagram pocket fodder that looks good on a hank.

Unless you have some specific task in your everyday routine that requires a more substantial prybar I suspect an SAK will have you covered.

This has been my take on them as well, but maybe you find uses for them when you have it? I always feel like the MT big flathead screw-drivers were made for prying, nearly as thick as a knife blade. I usually have an MT nearby, though I don't carry one in a pocket. I think the bottle opener on the SAK is a little more flimsy than the leatherman flathead but it's pretty much the same.

I always wondered, how much leverage can you actually get with such a small lever that it would actually be useful? Seems like a screwdriver or small punch would make similar sense, but I have no experience with the pocket prybars either so maybe I'm just missing out.

If it weren't for the tips of knives, I would be less against prying with them but breaking the tip is why I think it's stupid to pry with them. Prying with a folder isn't good for the pivot, but if you hate your knife or it's over-build, why not. It's you knife. I still prefer an MT since it seems they're built stouter and designed for such abusive uses.

Back