Recommendation? Is it worthwhile to EDC a pry bar / multi to "save your knife

I have a small, cheap, no-frills mini-prybar I bought on Amazon on a keyring that works well for light prying tasks, but most of the time I use my SAK bottle opener.

Prying doesn't necessarily have to be a hard use task. I use the SAK bottle opener a lot to open boxes of food (like cereal) when I want to still keep the box intact and not tear the flap off getting it open. I wouldn't attempt to do even that with the tip of my Spyderco Military (or any fine-tipped knife), for example.

I recall in the old show Man vs Food, Adam Richman used the tip of what looked like an original Spyderco Paramilitary to pry clams open, and I remember cringing a bit when I saw that. When there's so many other inexpensive and easy-to-carry options, I don't see any reason to risk snapping off a blade tip.

Jim

I have a "missing in action" Atwood Mini Keyton, somewhere around the house. Perfect little pocket/ keychain pry tool.

If you can easily fit one on your keychain without any hassle, I don’t see why not. I have one on my keys and it serves its purpose, as well as some redundant features like a seatbelt cutter and various drivers. Doesnt hurt to have more than 1 of those.

Eh, sometimes. I don't pry that often. Hard on the knees. Nyuk nyuk.
SAK implements work well, for my use, which is to say pistachio shells, soda can tabs, stuff like that. Occasionally poky bits.

This one is small enough for keys. Can use it to open oxygen tanks too :)
46_tools.png

The best option is to get a 50 cent P38 can opener and stick it on a keychain. I think little pry tools are good to have but overpriced many times. If you want an upgrade over a P38, the gerber shards are pretty great and not too pricey.
I think they are worth it, knives are dangerous for prying and youll ruin the edge. Knives cut, not pry. Thats my 2 cents. :)
If you wanna upgrade over a p38 get a larger P51 :D

This is the pry tool I carry on me at work, I carry it for a very specific purpose which it does well.

As far as I can tell it's only available at Walmart, and only available as a bonus in a " 2pc " prybar set that costs like $7.
In my opinion it's worth it considering you also get two other American made pry bars, a 7-1/2" wonder bar type and a trim bar which are handy to have in general.

I carry a Victorinox Tinker as a second knife. Use it more than the 112 on my belt. The screwdrivers are stronger than they have any right to be and the blades sharpen easily. Use it alot around a jobsite. Anything I don't want to dull my "good" knife on

I've almost bought a Widgy Bar on several occasions. If I didn't work 10 feet from a Snap-On tool box, I'd probably wear a Leatherman on my belt. But I do. I have a Gerber multitool in my riding jacket, and a cheap version under the seat of my bicycle. I've learned to wear a multitool on my belt when setting up a trade show booth, and it always comes in handy.

I have a Gerber Shard. It was cheap. Handy. I never carry it. Looks like a torn pocket and a stabbed leg to me.

I carry a pocket knife every day. And my favorite multi-tool. It's a little chunk of titanium with a Phillips screwdriver bit on one end and a flat head on the other. Fits on my key ring. It's great. I use it occasionally. I think I got it from the Grommet. Looks to be sold out.

It can save your knife whenever you need to pry or screw something. Back when I tried to just carry a knife, I wound up also carrying a pry tool. They can be very handy and come in many different configurations. Now I carry a Leatherman and Victorinox with my knife.

CbIrqT0.jpg
Hey, what's that little blue ball on your P38? Is that attaching it to the bar somehow? I like the duct tape to keep it closed… and have duct tape. I use the little magnet from earbuds to keep them closed sometimes. It makes other items on your keychain stick to it though. Now, I most often use a safety pin in the hinge to keep it closed… and have a safety pin.

Lately an SAK is my most common carry and I have the opener/screwdriver for light prying. However, I have a number of TL-29's and they were what I carried for a while. Built in prybar which will actually handle moderate tasks.

I need to go coon finger my knives and find a TL-29 to carry for a while now.

post-77723-0-44914300-1485391311.jpg

"The Pistachio Nut Opener"! Solid sterling silver, and comes with it's own carrying bag. Love me some pistachios and have actually considered springing for one of these, off and on, over the years. Would definitely elevate my nut prying game, and could be useful for other light prying tasks. Bracing for lowbrow, but witty responses to my "nut prying".package.jpgpistachio-color-hand.jpg

Last edited:
I took the leap to get a Rexford RUT. I love it but it is pricey. I wanted a minimal super compact tool for my summer wallet and it is perfect. If I go somewhere where knives are not allowed, I take out the blade and hand it to the security guard. It could also be used as a secondary beater blade.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_9581.jpg

View attachment 1133592 I carry this one I bought at Home Depot. It gives my something I can pry with and otherwise abuse without any real concern. And if I do somehow manage to break it, it was like $3.50. No big deal

Me too. No bigger than a key and good for all sorts of stuff.

Me 3. and for about the same reasons. I wouldn't buy an expensive one, but for less than $5 it's worthwhile to have in the pocket.

I see a bewildering plethora of pocket EDC pry bar/ multi thingamajigs on the market .

The one the three of us carry is called a DoohicKey.
https://www.niteize.com/product/DoohicKey-Multi-Tool.asp

Last edited:
:) Thanks for all replies ! Very interesting .

I'm still not sure about actually pocket EDC , but I have decided to start carrying in my SUV , something like this Stanley "FUBAR" (functional utility bar) :rolleyes:;) :

https://www.stanleytools.com/produc...aw-bars/30-in-fatmax-fubar-utility-bar/55-120

Or at least a standard 3' crowbar .

I do already carry a full sized multitool with extra hex bits , in my "travel trouble bag" . Plus various vise grips and other tools that stay in the vehicle .

I have the full size 30” fubar in my work van. It’s a beast. Next best thing to a Haligan tool. The smaller hammer sized one is a beast too. I have the 18”. Probably it is all you would need in a vehicle.

7326B3EC-3F65-4E67-BD30-471934BD6ECE.jpeg

Here is my collection of key ring tools. The pry bar on the ring has the tear dropped hole opened up and squared to be used on an acetylene bottle.

The Benchmade triage is designed to be used for prying.

I think the church key is a good survival tool. That style can opener is the right tool to make a hobo stove. If you can find a coffee can.

Back