1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Recommendation? Is it worthwhile to EDC a pry bar / multi to "save your knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, May 23, 2019.

1. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2019
    I generally just use my SAK farmer. They are cheap and it keeps me from messing ho my more expensive knives.

DocJD and PeaceInOurTime like this.
  2. PeaceInOurTime

PeaceInOurTime

Mar 20, 2019
    Yes, the little blue ball was a piece of blue paracord with a knot on both sides, attaching it to the tool. Since then, I have changed it to a black piece of paracord that has been folded, melted and pressed together. It's now more comfortable to carry in the pocket, bit it now resides on my homemade ESEE 3 sheath:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that's a good idea using a magnet or safety pin. I've also removed the duct tape and am just using the "ranger band" to keep it secure.

[​IMG]

Getting older and DocJD like this.
  3. davek14

davek14

May 30, 2009
    Thanks for the answer and pics.

4. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    Not edc but the pocketwrench 2 fits great in the wave pouch as a partner to it.The do hickey is in noticed handy though.p51 is way cool

DocJD likes this.
  5. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    I've had a widgy bar make my day a lot easier a couple times. Not often, but its worth it. I carry one of the picos on my keys all the time, beats a thumbnail often. Depends on what the job is and where you are working. Right now I've not used one in a couple years, but doing events and AV, all the time. Tools for the job, the trick is knowing what the job will be when you load your pockets. That takes talent, or a high tolerance for heavy pockets.

Getting older and DocJD like this.
  6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    In my life, the need is so seldom except when I'm working that I wouldn't consider carrying a pry tool inside my pocket (edc). I can grab something appropriate when needed. Working is different and if you commonly pry things, carry something appropriate for yourself. I'm content knowing that I have quite an assortment of pry tools inside my work vehicle if the need develops.

DocJD likes this.
  7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Late last night , perhaps "under the influence" , I ordered this titanium wedge / chisel / kubaton direct from China : o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I never pry, screw, etc. with my pocket knife. I haven't fully explored the world of specialized EDC pry tools but overall, I haven't been terribly impressed by what I've seen.

I've carried various Swiss Army type knives and a few multitools. I have a common problem though. I already EDC a bunch of stuff: knife, pens, pad, flashlight, key ring, firearm, phone, wallet, medical supplies, etc. The SAK/multitool takes up space. What's worse is that there is almost always stuff I don't care about on the SAK/multitool and it adds bulk. In fact, I usually don't care about the included knife blade. Yeah, a back-up blade is nice and all but it's usually not a very good one in my limited experience.

I liked the size and concept of the Travel Dime but the quality just wasn't there. It was also a pain to carry despite its size due to the weirdly placed external bottle opener and its proximity to the key ring attachment. The best I can usually manage is a Leatherman Squirt but that has limitations too. Is there a better option in that size and class of multitool?

DocJD likes this.
  9. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    DocJD likes this.
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Maybe best to NOT shed any light on this private moment . :p

onekerf likes this.