• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Is Knifeworks a reputable dealer?

Have you considered just calling and placing the order over the phone with CC info?
They're a great company to deal with.

That email does seem suspect (to me at least).
I've dealt with them numerous times and never received such emails like that.

my $0.02.

Definitely a good dealer, also it’s worth mentioning that they are a physical retail store in Louisiana as well as an online seller.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did send them an email asking for clarification, and I just received a reply so hopefully it's all good. It was just weird because I've never been asked for something like that, and the formatting of the message I screencapped is different than the order confirmation email, including a dead link.

I can't find the listing that had Engrish but it was definitely there. Might have been a copy-pasted description from a manufacturer's site, as some of the accessory companies are overseas and their descriptions have iffy grammar. What seemed strange to me in this email was the stuff about "advise the quote of the authorization code" and "capture the approved authorization into our merchant system" but perhaps that is retail industry phrasing that I am not aware of.

Since my posts seem to have rankled a couple of folks here I will go ahead and preemptively say that Knifeworks is reputable despite occasional confusing communication. If anything else goes wrong with my order then I'll keep it to myself. Cheers

That was a really strange email they sent you..I never had a request like that from any dealer first time or not.

What was their exact reply when you asked for clarification?

That was a really strange email they sent you..I never had a request like that from any dealer first time or not.

What was their exact reply when you asked for clarification?
They never referred to the email, just said something to the effect of "thank you, your order is processed!" or something like that.

They never referred to the email, just said something to the effect of "thank you, your order is processed!" or something like that.

That is sooo weird..

And you didn't even do that strange request about the authorization code..just asked for a clarification?

I would have been confused as well if it happened to me.

[plays twilight zone music]

In any case glad it all worked out!

That is sooo weird..

And you didn't even do that strange request about the authorization code..just asked for a clarification?

I would have been confused as well if it happened to me.

[plays twilight zone music]

In any case glad it all worked out!
Yeah I called my bank and they had no idea what I was talking about. It was for a $16 sharpener so it seemed odd to need bank verification for that.

Just to chime in a little, I have bought from them many times in the last 10 years or so, and have never had any issues. I also appreciate the number of exclusives they offer.

That said, I've had an "unaccessible" cart for several days now, on the site, but haven't gotten around to calling to get it straightened out. (Clicking the "cart" button does nothing, but the counter updates if I add to it)

It's possible they are having some issues...

@Knifeworks.com

This just happened to me a few days ago to my order. What I understand from this email, is that they asked for an OTP (One Time Password) which in any case you should NEVER give to any person, even the bank.
This had me cancelled my order.
Just be careful guys.

This just happened to me a few days ago to my order. What I understand from this email, is that they asked for an OTP (One Time Password) which in any case you should NEVER give to any person, even the bank.
This had me cancelled my order.
Just be careful guys.
I dont see them asking for a password. They are asking for an authorization code. This is common with high risk transactions.

I like Knifeworks, but would not jump through those hoops with my bank. It looks like they will accept Western Union, which may not be cost effective for you, depending on the order size.

I see international orders in that email. not sure where boombats is from but oracle is in Indonesia. International and certain counties are very high risk for retailers. outside of many protections we have in this country for businesses. so I dont find it that weird if these are international orders......

knifeworks are good folks. been buying from them for about a decade or bit more now.

I see international orders in that email. not sure where boombats is from but oracle is in Indonesia. International and certain counties are very high risk for retailers. outside of many protections we have in this country for businesses. so I dont find it that weird if these are international orders......

knifeworks are good folks. been buying from them for about a decade or bit more now.
Problem is, this is not my first purchase from them. Its my 3rd. In those previous orders they did not ask for that 6 digits code.
In their email, they stated that they have lost their previous order history when the new website is launched. I did send the proof of my previous purchase, and they still asked for that 6 digits authorization code.

And slyraven, they did explain what the code is in that email (you may see it in the screenshot). From this explanation, is it the same as OTP which usually entered by the credit card holder to authorize a transaction?
This is suppose to be entered by the credit card holder, not by the seller. There have been many cases where this OTP is used in credit card fraud.

Last edited:
Problem is, this is not my first purchase from them. Its my 3rd. In those previous orders they did not ask for that 6 digits code.
In their email, they stated that they have lost their previous order history when the new website is launched. I did send the proof of my previous purchase, and they still asked for that 6 digits authorization code.

And slyraven, they did explain what the code is in that email (you may see it in the screenshot). From this explanation, is it the same as OTP which usually entered by the credit card holder to authorize a transaction?
This is suppose to be entered by the credit card holder, not by the seller. There have been many cases where this OTP is used in credit card fraud.
still dont think its weird being international order and they explained to you why when you asked. ya left out those important parts.....being international and new website.

Why don't you ask your card issuer for advice? Surely it is in their best interests to protect you and them from a fraudulent transaction...

Back