Is my new DMT stone damaged? Pitting

What does "pitted" mean? I have a 10" fine/extra fine also. I believe the open "holes" indicate that the diamonds are missing/gone in that spot.

If the surface is not consistent throughout, I would send it back. I got a DMT 8" stone in the wooden box one time and there was about a 1"x1.5" section that felt like it didn't have any diamond dust in it. I could feel it every time the blade would hit this spot. Sent it back and they sent me a perfect one.

doesnt look right, honestly I would stay away from diamond stones unless you need it for ceramic or really hard steel .

Another reason to buy Atoma :p

Yeah send that back, Jesus.
Little moon craters in the steel, weird, no rust.
Looks like it was being hit with a nail punch

Reactions: Mo2
Yeah, you can feel the craters when you pass over them. I have two DMT diafolds that are flawless

I may consider Atoma.

And maybe I should wait a couple of weeks for a replacement just in case Amazon got a bad batch?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Third time's a charm! While the extra-fine side isn't perfect (minor pitting and not very deep), it's not so bad as to where you could run you finger over it (or a knife) and feel the pitting. The first two they sent me were simply unacceptable. You could easily feel the pitting with your finger and knife as it passed over the affected area.

Thanks again!

Please keep us posted on the outcome. I know how frustrating the return process can be but you shouldn't have to settle for the less than correct when you buy something new.

Please keep us posted on the outcome. I know how frustrating the return process can be but you shouldn't have to settle for the less than correct when you buy something new.

Yeah, I got the new stone in on Monday and it's good. Sharpened a chef knife on it today. It's so awesome having that much real estate to sharpen a knife on!

Back