Is One Handed Closing of a Folder Really Critical ?

No. I seldom need it. But I've figured out how to do it with every knife I have.

Zieg

One handed opening and/or one handed closing is very convenient. If you use your knife for work a lot, perhaps even necessary when time is money (in order not to waste time every time you need the knife).

However, there are also times when I will consciously use both hands to open a knife, even if the knife supports one hand opening. For example, if there are people around that might be startled by the knife.

Critical, no. Practical, yes. I find it very handy since I fairly routinely open little plastic packaging at work, so I grab a new pack, grab the knife, slice it open put the knife away after use and pull whatever spare part I need from the package. You can do it with a two handed closing knife, it's not a huge problem, but it's certainly easier if you can do everything on the knife with one hand.

Since my left hand became weakened due to nerve damage, one hand opening became more convenient.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned autos. A snappy ProTech or Benchmade is fun to deploy but can be difficult to close one handed. Pushing against the spring while keeping fingers out of harms way can be tricky.

The only knives I open one handed are AO's and flippers. Even though I can open many modern knives one handed, I seldom do.

Back