1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Is One Handed Closing of a Folder Really Critical ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DocJD, Jun 8, 2019.

1. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    No. I seldom need it. But I've figured out how to do it with every knife I have.

Zieg

DocJD likes this.
  2. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    I don't think I've ever owned a knife that I couldn't close with one hand.

DocJD and miso2 like this.
  3. Lodd

Lodd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2015
    One handed opening and/or one handed closing is very convenient. If you use your knife for work a lot, perhaps even necessary when time is money (in order not to waste time every time you need the knife).

However, there are also times when I will consciously use both hands to open a knife, even if the knife supports one hand opening. For example, if there are people around that might be startled by the knife.

DocJD and Peter Hartwig like this.
  4. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Critical, no. Practical, yes. I find it very handy since I fairly routinely open little plastic packaging at work, so I grab a new pack, grab the knife, slice it open put the knife away after use and pull whatever spare part I need from the package. You can do it with a two handed closing knife, it's not a huge problem, but it's certainly easier if you can do everything on the knife with one hand.

DocJD likes this.
  5. miso2

miso2 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Since my left hand became weakened due to nerve damage, one hand opening became more convenient.

DocJD likes this.
  6. GronK

GronK Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2001
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned autos. A snappy ProTech or Benchmade is fun to deploy but can be difficult to close one handed. Pushing against the spring while keeping fingers out of harms way can be tricky.

DocJD likes this.
  7. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The only knives I open one handed are AO's and flippers. Even though I can open many modern knives one handed, I seldom do.

DocJD likes this.
  8. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    Not critical, but really hard to go back to old school when his using a one hander.

DocJD likes this.
  9. KVT

KVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2019
    Yup!

DocJD likes this.