Is Redwing the CRK of boots?

I don't know much about what makes boots bad, good, or great, and I don't really feel like putting in the time to learn everything about them. I hear the name Redwing a lot when people talk about good boots. Are they sort of like the Chris Reeve Knives of boots? Production (not custom or boutique), American made, renowned quality and durability, etc? If not, what boot company would fit the analogy?

I would call Viberg a better fit for the analogy although they're Canadian made and they're called fashion work boots. But believe me they are worth it. The other company you might want to look into for this same kind of aesthetic, but a little less money is Truman Boot Co. Truman Boots are a much smaller company, great product, and they are American made. Both of these companys use better leather than any of the others mentioned so far and you would be hard pressed to find a better boot in this specific genre of boots.

For the money Redwing is about the best you can buy for that amount of money.

I've rotated two pairs of Alden boots for years, they get better with age and the most comfortable boots I have. I would say that they definitely are the CRK of boots.

I've rotated two pairs of Alden boots for years, they get better with age and the most comfortable boots I have. I would say that they definitely are the CRK of boots.

Alden makes great shoes and boots, however for the most part with exception of their Indys they don't really have the same kind of aesthetic or work boot look. Viberg and Truman boots are more in that vain and in my opinion they are also much better boots than one can get with an Alden Indy Boot. Besides I really hate that travelling tongue issue on the Alden Indy Boot.

After checking out the Viberg and Truman boots, I'd say Redwings are more like the Becker of boots. Just FYI the Truman and Viberg boots are 500-700 dollars a pair! Wish I had never seen them, now i want a pair!

Does foot type matter, are some better at some foot shapes than others? I have wide flat feet, which makes getting really well fitting shoes difficult, I usually have to size up or have a long uncomfortable break in period.

Redwing's USA-made boots/shoes used to be great. Now I would call them "good".

Another to look at is Chippewa -- better than Redwing these days, IMHO.

I like ariats for work boots and boulet for everything else.
I haven't worn anything but boots in the last 3 years.

Redwing makes very good boots for a variety of purposes, but I don't know if the analogy with CRK holds up. I've worn out a few pair or Redwings over the years and they held up well. German-made Lowas are excellent; my last pair got worn down to the lugs after 4-5,000 miles, so I currently am wearing Italian-made Scarpas, just as good. Vasque, Asolo, Merrell, and lots of others are also good. Get whichever fits your feet best.

I've had one pair of Red Wings and was not that impressed. YMMV

They may not be the best out there, but I've had good success with my last two pairs of Georgia Boots. I can't believe the pair I'm still wearing is holding together after this long and they've been through a lot.

Boots are a VERY debatable industry

But that doesn't make them any different than any other product from cars to TVs, watches, or knives. You can certainly debate styles and various people will tend to disagree with regards to styles or which Lasts or designs are more appealing. Fit being the most important factor of course. But when it comes to which shoemakers use the better quality leathers then those who tend to have some experience will tend to agree. When it comes to shoes or boots in general when one crosses that $300 mark and buys a shoe or boot which can be resoled then generally it's no longer a question of durability and it's more a question of style, attention to detail, refined design, quality of leather or materials, and overall quality that matters. But it certainly helps to have a bit of experience with not only the brands mentioned here but a decent amount of various footwear at various price levels.

Does foot type matter, are some better at some foot shapes than others? I have wide flat feet, which makes getting really well fitting shoes difficult, I usually have to size up or have a long uncomfortable break in period.

Yes your foot, how it shaped, and how big it is does matter and since each shoemaker uses their own Last or Lasts it will depend on how their Last or Lasts conforms or doesn't conform to your foot. The first thing to do of is to have your foot measured and get your Brannock size. But the best thing to do is to try various boots on to see if or which ones fit your feet before buying anything.

After checking out the Viberg and Truman boots, I'd say Redwings are more like the Becker of boots. Just FYI the Truman and Viberg boots are 500-700 dollars a pair! Wish I had never seen them, now i want a pair!

Sorry but the OP asked, and I figured I would oblige. Really you can't go wrong with either as long as you get the one that fits your feet.

I would say Red Wings could be equated to benchmade or Spyderco. You get what you pay for. Of course, boots are a very personal choice and whats comfy for one may not be for another. Red Wings have a VERY good reputation not just for quality and durability but also comfort. Stop in a store, talk to them, get fitted and see what you think.

Personally, I've become a fan of the fit of Danner's boots made on their 850 and 851 lasts and have been wearing these models for years. I also have a pair of older red wings with safety toes that I just bought, used in excellent shape, which are VERY comfy and are obviously a quality item. Also, a lot of my coworkers swear by them both currently and well as back a few years when I was in tree removals.

If you want a "no brainer" purchase and need a comfortable and durable boot Red Wings would definitely be a solid choice. There are LOTS of other good companies, though, if you are willing to do some homework.

Back