Is Redwing the CRK of boots?

Man, you guys have some clean and shiny "work" boots, they look new. I wish I could keep mine that nice, but a week or so at work and they're not the same.

I seem to remember that 1 to 2 years ago Red Wing or Irish Setter had a moccasin toed boot advertised as having a 33% wider toe box. I finally get around to try to order a pair and cannot find them. I think LL Bean was offering them too, but emails to LL Bean came up with nothing. I emailed Irish Setter/Redwing three times and got the same answer that they would respond in 2 or 3 business days, but never actually heard anything from them. Does any one else remember these 33% wider toe box boots or who offered them? Thanks, John

I've got a pair of Georgia's, don't wear them a bunch, but they are built like a tank, probably will never have to buy a work type boot after these. One thing, they take some time to break in, but the more you wear them the better they feel and look!

I don't know if Red Wings are the CRK of of boots as I have never owned a CRK knife. But what I can say is, for the money, there is no better boot than Thorogood. Made in the USA and known as the Red Wing killer.

I have Danner, Allen Edmonds, Bates and numerous others but my Thorogoods hardly ever leave my feet.

7BED6ECE-EAE0-44A0-8419-C7129F27F4BE_zps4p36dqcx.jpg

Last edited:
White's or nicks. If you want better than that I would try open road custom boots that will be my next pair.

White's or nicks. If you want better than that I would try open road custom boots that will be my next pair.

My main problem with Nicks boots would be the numerous complaints from people who have purchased Nicks boots who report quality problems with these boots.

I've got a pair of Georgia's, don't wear them a bunch, but they are built like a tank, probably will never have to buy a work type boot after these. One thing, they take some time to break in, but the more you wear them the better they feel and look!
Yup...I like my Georgia boots the best.

The CRK of boots? Are we talking work boots or some fancy shmantzy high dollar designer boot? For work I would say, Nick's, Whites, Danner are much better than Red Wing. I'm not much for super fancy designer hipster boots, so...
I used a paid of Nick's boots for wildland firefighting last year, they took some time to break in, but there was no issues with the pair I got. I later tried the Danner Flashpoint boots and they were much more comfortable from day 1.

The CRK of boots? Are we talking work boots or some fancy shmantzy high dollar designer boot? For work I would say, Nick's, Whites, Danner are much better than Red Wing. I'm not much for super fancy designer hipster boots, so...
I used a paid of Nick's boots for wildland firefighting last year, they took some time to break in, but there was no issues with the pair I got. I later tried the Danner Flashpoint boots and they were much more comfortable from day 1.

Frankly I see these same things being said about CRK with regards to knifes and how much it cost. It seems with regards to things that cost more there are a number of people who like to discount them automatically for that very reason. Oh, it cost more so it must be a designer brand. It also seems that once you label it a designer brand that somehow it makes you feel better that you haven't decided to purchase it yourself. Ah, its a designer brand that cost a lot more than I am willing to pay so it must not function quite as well or any better than what I am willing to pay.

I don't find that designer label to fit CRK, Viberg or any of the other brands I have purchased from. So although some of the brands I mentioned may cost more, I really don't find them to fit in the designer brand category. Your right I wouldn't go flicking my Sebenza, because that's not what it was designed to do. But this doesn't make it any less of a great knife. In the same respect I wouldnt go fighting fires in my Vibergs. Not at least my pair of Vibergs anyways, but they do make Vibergs for that very purpose and if I had the need I wouldn't have any problem buying and using them. Even though I don't find myself trudging through the woods with my Vibergs or my Veldtschoen Zug Galways for that matter it's not because they couldn't take it. It's because I don't find myself wanting to go trudging through the woods. I can assure you that for what my Zug Galways were manufactured to do they are more than adequate, actually they are better than most when it comes to being extremely water resistant for a pair of leather boots. Yes although I may wear them in very casual environments it has more to do with what I choose to do rather than what the boot is capable of doing. Higher cost in amy case does not equate to anything being a designer brand, nor does it equate in all cases to being something less than something costing much less. In fact there are many more times where it can equate to being something much better. Yes there are designer boots which are far less durable and capable and they can cost much more than some others. But there are also boots which cost quite a bit more which are extremely capable and function real well for what they where designed to do.

So I can understand why someone may not choose to pay above a certain amount for boots, knives, or anything else. However there really is no need to put things down especially when they don't understand what they are talking about.

Last edited:
My last pair of Redwings were $265 and I ordered them custom from a fancy shoe store with all kinds of measurements and everything. The toe creased pretty quickly and became unwearable. They would not repair them, warranty or not. So I'll never buy another pair.

My favorites thus far have been Asolo and Alico. The Alico boots I have have been incredible.

For me without any doubt with over 40 years in the trade Red wings are my favorite most comfortable work boot period:thumbup:

Back