Is Spyderco still "better value" than Benchmade?

Looking at a lot of posts from years past, people consistently state that Spydercos are much better value compared to Benchmade. However, in the past few years, with the price increases from Spyderco, now the Para 3 sits at 143, the Shaman sits at an astounding 202, is Spyderco still considered good value?

Now with the price hikes, for the price of a Para 3, you can get a new Mini grip with g10 and 20cv blade for the same price on Amazon (the price will fluctuate, sometime going around 135).

It seems like all the hype about Spyderco being a really good value knife for the money no longer is valid as the prices of Spyderco's are at the same price as Benchmades, if not more.

To me better valued spydercos are mostly some of the sprint runs / dealer exclusives. Regular production wise, I do not see one brand has clearly better value than the other. Now because Spyderco has much more sprints/ dealer exclusives, that makes Spyderco seemingly has better value.

Since the price hikes, I’ve personally not had any desire to buy anymore Spydies, but I believe they still offer value by offering such a wide array of designs, features, and sprints. They are competing on a global market that’s been inundated for better or worse.

Benchmade have always been pricey, but seem to make up for it with great customer service features like blade replacements, clips, etc.

Both are great companies and offer top tier products in my opinion.

Oh, and welcome to Bladeforums. Lots of passionate Forumites here with a wealth of knowledge.

If you have time take a look through the many sub-forums and stickies to get a feel for the site and how it works.

Good luck!

I hold both manufacturers in high regard. I have worn out knives from both. My 710 is wonky, and so is my sprint run d2 paramilitary. I used the crap out of them. To me, it seems Spyderco is just as valuable as Benchmade.

Looking at a lot of posts from years past, people consistently state that Spydercos are much better value compared to Benchmade. However, in the past few years, with the price increases from Spyderco, now the Para 3 sits at 143, the Shaman sits at an astounding 202, is Spyderco still considered good value?

Now with the price hikes, for the price of a Para 3, you can get a new Mini grip with g10 and 20cv blade for the same price on Amazon (the price will fluctuate, sometime going around 135).

It seems like all the hype about Spyderco being a really good value knife for the money no longer is valid as the prices of Spyderco's are at the same price as Benchmades, if not more.
The wide array of differing price points of spyderco knives kind of makes your whole question moot.

Both are good knives but Benchmade has been on a high horse price wise for sometimes questionable QC and the Axis lock which, when working properly, is smooth operating and strong - but relies on dinky little springs and is too easily gunked up in real-world usage IMO.

Spyderco knows they have good products and is getting their prices to where they feel it's commensurate with materials, quality and customer support it offers compared to the competition.

In the bang for the buck category - especially for real-world usage, it's hard to beat Cold Steel. While I carry and use CS the most anymore, I do like the daylights out of the Spyderco H1 Pacific Salts I have and my BM Adamas ... even though I do not trust those Omega springs.

Last edited:
Regarding value, I also consider both to be on pretty even ground now.

An Endura, Delica, Dragonfly (and the newer entry level models) may be less expensive than most Benchmades, but they're also a more basic knife. Spyderco's higher end offerings are priced similarly to with Benchmade's higher end knifes.

The Endura that's lived in my pocked every day for over 10 years locks up as tightly now as the ones I purchased earlier this month.

I've been looking exclusively at Benchmades lately, and I didn't handle a single unit that had an issue of any kind.

Yes. I find Spyderco has far superior quality control.

Plus:

Spydiehole >thumbstud

I've yet to buy a Spyderco that was off center or had blade play. I've never had a compression lock or cbbl break either.

Axis is ok, but much more prone to wearing out.

While Spydies are usually quite pricey, I’ve only had quality knives from them. The Endura, Manix, and Para 3 have all been excellent EDC knives that cut well, ride decently in the pocket, and feel great in the hand. You generally get what you pay for. If you wanna pay more $$$ for the more outrageously priced knives like the Hundred Pacer, Subhilt, or Shaman, that’s entirely up to you. Everything is priced according to what people are willing to pay for them.

Don’t have experience with Benchmades yet, so I can’t talk about ‘em.

If you need a price-to-performance ratio ‘beater knife,’ get a Cold Steel lol.

I would say that Spyderco is overpriced and overrated personally. On the other hand, Benchmade is overpriced too lol. I think BM is a little better value wise these days, and I prefer them generally.

Short-term = Spyderco. Reliably better quality control out of the box. Blade sharpness, centering, grind, etc. However, should you run into any issues with the knife down the line I wouldn't expect much from their warranty.

Long-term = Benchmade. There seems to be a 50% chance you get a knife with quality issues out of the box. However, when you buy one you buy it for life. Their customer service is top notch in my experience and it gives you peace of mind that your life will have a long useful life.

Personally since I buy and sell so many knives and the hunt for that one perfect knife has never worked for me, Spyderco fits the bill. Buy something, beat it up, enjoy it, then buy the latest and greatest later on.

Much of it's personal preference and specific knives might need to be compared not just brands entire lineup.

The prices are petty even now. Benchmades have been pricey forever, but Spyderco has caught up. Both have knives offered for ridiculous prices now.

One big difference is that Spyderco’s customer service is spotty. Some folks are treated well, some are outright screwed over. Benchmade’s CS is pretty much rock solid.

I have owned many, many knives from both manufacturers. They both make great knives.

Your own decision on which to go with will have to take into account your own personal likes. Pick a knife you like, and go for it. With these two companies it’s hard to go wrong.

Interesting this thread popped up. Been looking at the Spyderco Military and the Benchmade Crooked River lately.

Almost a $50 difference on the price made my rethink the Military, one of my favorite models.

Granted I am not concerned about centering, thinness etc as I generally regrind all my knives to my liking and do appropriate tuning.

Back