Is Steel Will using fake M390 and an unknown manufacturer?

Long running thread about him: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/gaston444.1483855/

That said, My thoughts in this matter are simple. No scientific testing had been done. This is a collection of anecdotes and a thread that begs the question of whether a company lied about it's steel without any evidence. The QRTRMSTR threads have a paper trail showing order slips from China when claiming that knives were not of the quality or authenticity that the maker claims. Until you show me that, @`br4dz-, you have no claim and are an agitator.
Exactly !!

Ok. I get it, without a notorized signed document and subsequent video confession showing willful error you won't believe any wrong doing. That's fine.

I've seen wrong steels occur before and were first caught right here on the forum. Is that what's happening in this case? Idk.

I won't brush it off as nonsense though when people I respect say they have an issue.

Someone should just rust test the m390 on the steel will. They make the same exact knife in d2. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that some of those knives have d2 blades instead of three m390 blades they are supposed to have.

Someone should just rust test the m390 on the steel will. They make the same exact knife in d2. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that some of those knives have d2 blades instead of three m390 blades they are supposed to have.
The testing is still very low for D2.

Ok. I get it, without a notorized signed document and subsequent video confession showing willful error you won't believe any wrong doing. That's fine.

I've seen wrong steels occur before and were first caught right here on the forum. Is that what's happening in this case? Idk.

I won't brush it off as nonsense though when people I respect say they have an issue.
I'm not saying it's nonsense. I fully believe that the OP has an issue with their knife and there could be any number of explanations. Jumping all the way to "conspiracy by the company to defraud everyone with fake knife steel" with zero evidence besides the result of a single cut test on a single knife is ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's nonsense. I fully believe that the OP has an issue with their knife and there could be any number of explanations. Jumping all the way to "conspiracy by the company to defraud everyone with fake knife steel" with zero evidence besides the result of a single cut test on a single knife is ridiculous.
I never said that. Did I? Please read carefully what I said and quote me saying anything of the sort.

It's not unheard of for knives to be made in the wrong steel. Whether by accident or intentionally is difficult to prove. Fact is there may very well be a problem that extends beyond one knife. A second person I trust said m390 stained cutting sausage.

I have used m390 for years and know it shouldn't stain like that. That tells me, it ISN'T m390.

People just like you railed the same arguments when bark river sends out knives in the wrong steel. Surprise surprise, they were dead wrong. That crow must taste good with BBQ sauce.

As I said previously, is there a large scale problem with steel will sending out knives that are in the wrong steel? I don't know.

But it wouldn't surprise me if there is knives out in the wild with the wrong steel. It's happened before.

Well ...... .it s internet/forums at the end .Everyone have right to do or write whatever he want . So I too .....I don t believe one word about your test/video or in your ability to sharpen steel like M390 .

I would agree with you, except he has several other videos where m390 (and other steels which are much harder to sharpen such as Maxamet) which perform as expected. I find it unlikely he would forget how to sharpen for just this knife.

As for my results, I’m just some hack from the middle of nowhere trying to see if my knife is defective. I definitely am not a master sharpener and most likely screwed up the sharpening job on M390 for the first try. My second test result of 245 leads me to believe it *could* be M390.

If I get around to it, I’ll do a rust test on it compared to a benchmade in M390.

Last edited:
what are you guys going on about?

1. m390 can stain. depending on the heat treatment. it's been seen that even benchmades 20cv which is the same composition has shown rust. do you want a link? https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/20cv-rust-pits.1545752/
in any case it's will differ based on heat treatment, the blade finish, environment and maybe other factors. because one brand doesn't rust for you doesn't mean another won't. and don't forget these are mass production knives. they may differ knife to knife or batch to batch.

2. this is just one knife and Peter explained this and thoroughly tested it to be sure he wasn't doing anything wrong on his side. as he replied steelwill just received the knife and will probably be looking into it soon assuming they have the time to do so. its not like other brands don't have occasionally have blades that come off the line bad.

3. steelwill have responded well to the situation and that speaks volumes about the company and their warranty.

4. Peter has responded that he is getting another 3rd party modus to test and will be doing a series of tests on it when received, I'm guessing he'll do the same when steelwill return him a knife.

5. test your shit. use support and warranty if needed.

6. don't over react to the video and make assumptions. peter certainty isn't putting this as a fact. he said it was one knife and these are his findings.

7. ignore Gaston at all costs. he doesnt know what he's talking about.

Yes, you did say this.
M390 staining isn't nonsense. Get a grip. I don't know if you're having trouble reading or understanding or some combination of the two. Either way, discourse with you is as rewarding as clogging a toilet in your own home.

what are you guys going on about?

1. m390 can stain. depending on the heat treatment. it's been seen that even benchmades 20cv which is the same composition has shown rust. do you want a link? https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/20cv-rust-pits.1545752/
in any case it's will differ based on heat treatment, the blade finish, environment and maybe other factors. because one brand doesn't rust for you doesn't mean another won't. and don't forget these are mass production knives. they may differ knife to knife or batch to batch.

2. this is just one knife and Peter explained this and thoroughly tested it to be sure he wasn't doing anything wrong on his side. as he replied steelwill just received the knife and will probably be looking into it soon assuming they have the time to do so. its not like other brands don't have occasionally have blades that come off the line bad.

3. steelwill have responded well to the situation and that speaks volumes about the company and their warranty.

4. Peter has responded that he is getting another 3rd party modus to test and will be doing a series of tests on it when received, I'm guessing he'll do the same when steelwill return him a knife.

5. test your shit. use support and warranty if needed.

6. don't over react to the video and make assumptions. peter certainty isn't putting this as a fact. he said it was one knife and these are his findings.

7. ignore Gaston at all costs. he doesnt know what he's talking about.
20cv isn't m390. I've had and used both and am familiar with both. M390 staining from cutting food? Are you serious right now? Clearly you don't know as much as you think.

20cv isn't m390. I've had and used both and am familiar with both. M390 staining from cutting food? Are you serious right now? Clearly you don't know as much as you think.
I said it's a similar composition i thought? I've explained in prior posts else where on the forum that they are made differently. each is a different process and uses different micron sizes of powdered metal. the fact remains that stainless itself doesn't mean it won't stain. and if you know how heat treatment works it depends on how that particular blade was ht'ed, the chromium can be used to form carbides or provide more stainless properties. I'm no knife maker though, but I've read my fair share of the bladesmith subforum.

all that said, who knows the actual problem. I'm not going to assume. waiting for the answer from steelwill. anyways I've just said it "can" stain.

I'm going to invent a jump to conclusions board. and add in a misunderstandings dice roll to it. will be so awesome.

Last edited:
It's an "equivalent" but it is different. You don't have to explain stainless to me, believe it or not, other people have been around reading about and using these steels for awhile. Having used said steel for years from a variety of production companies I can safely say m390 (not its equivalents 20cv, 204p) does not rust from food preparation including lime and other acidic foods.

Speaking separately about 20cv and 204p they are also good and very stainless. I have seen a stain on 20cv though. Haven't seen 204p stain yet.
I said it's a similar composition i thought? I've explained in prior posts that they are made differently. each is a different process and uses different micron sizes of powdered metal. the fact remains that stainless itself doesn't mean it won't stain. and if you know how heat treatment works it depends on how that particular blade was ht'ed, the chromium can be used to form carbides or provide more stainless properties. I'm no knife maker though, but I've read my fair share of the bladesmith subforum.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm not saying that M390 staining isn't nonsense. M390 has a damn high chromium content and I'd be upset if my knife in super stainless steel took on any staining or patina. I believe that the original poster has an issue with their knife. I believe everyone who says they have an issue with their knife, with the obvious exception of gaston444. My issue is jumping to the conclusion of, even making the argument, that Steel Will is lying with no corroborating evidence. Maybe the heat treat is off. Maybe the steel was a bad batch. Maybe they bought it from a supplier in good faith that misrepresented it as Bohler M390. I believe the proper way to go about this is to post the issue with the knife and ASK OTHER PEOPLE IF THEY HAVE SIMILAR ISSUES BEFORE COMING TO A CONCLUSION. Full stop.

shinyedges shinyedges I have no personal problem with you and mean no insult. We're just on different sides of this argument. I hope we can continue to discuss this and other things no this forum.

I'm not saying that M390 staining isn't nonsense. M390 has a damn high chromium content and I'd be upset if my knife in super stainless steel took on any staining or patina. I believe that the original poster has an issue with their knife. I believe everyone who says they have an issue with their knife, with the obvious exception of gaston444. My issue is jumping to the conclusion of, even making the argument, that Steel Will is lying with no corroborating evidence. Maybe the heat treat is off. Maybe the steel was a bad batch. Maybe they bought it from a supplier in good faith that misrepresented it as Bohler M390. I believe the proper way to go about this is to post the issue with the knife and ASK OTHER PEOPLE IF THEY HAVE SIMILAR ISSUES BEFORE COMING TO A CONCLUSION. Full stop.

shinyedges shinyedges I have no personal problem with you and mean no insult. We're just on different sides of this argument. I hope we can continue to discuss this and other things no this forum.
I'm not on the side claiming malicious intent, nor do I believe I came across as such. If I did that wasn't my intent.

I simply wanted to let it be known manufacturers sending out knives in the wrong steel has happened, and that when someone I respect says they have an issue I believe them.

That about sums up my 2 cents.

And we're good, man.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/m390-staining.1551044/

he mentioned there was mustard as well, he wiped the knife off and put it away for a short while. cleaned off with bar keepers friend not long after. without photos or more info... maybe it was just minor on the surface.

don't want to argue about it, but how long does it take for mustard to do its thing on m390 of unknown ht? I've not tried doing a patina on stainless. I've cut up sausages with s35vn from kizer and didn't have any issues (used alot of farm raised butter) besides being hard to clean off shortly after. just discussing the topic.

he mentioned there was mustard as well, he wiped the knife off and put it away for a short while. cleaned off with bar keepers friend not long after. without photos or more info... maybe it was just minor on the surface.

don't want to argue about it, but how long does it take for mustard to do its thing on m390 of unknown ht? I've not tried doing a patina on stainless. I've cut up sausages with s35vn from kizer and didn't have any issues (used alot of farm raised butter) besides being hard to clean off shortly after. just discussing the topic.
Mustard has no effect that I have ever seen on m390. At all. Try it with your m390 blades.

Reactions: Mo2

More than just mustard, I have left blood, lime, chlorine from swimming pools, salt water from the ocean, sweat, hot sauce, and many other things sit on my zt0620cf that I carried for maybe 18 months. Prepared food, swam in fresh and salt water, chopped up bait for fishing literally almost every knife task for more than a year.

The liner under the carbon fiber rusted. Pretty severely. The bearings rusted. The blade never showed nothing. Nada, zip, zilch. I've had m390 from big chris, same experience, nothing, no rust. Benchmades m390, same. No rust.

I've used s30v in the same way and seen rust. Same for s35vn. Showed rust. A few other stainless have shown corrosion.

M390 is very high up on the stain resistance scale. And while most any steel can rust, I have never seen a single complaint of m390 rusting on this or any other forum.

So when you say it can stain, I have to ask under what condition did it stain? I've yet to see it in real life and I'm an avid outdoorsmen and farmer.

Back