Is survive knives an awesome knife company ?

Short answer: yes, enough said
Long answer: these guys work non stop to give us new designs that are super functional and look great ! Plus they listen to feedback from users and are normal down to earth people not inclined to use BS marketing techniques or elite fanboyism

Guy and Ellie thanks for your dedication and excellent work

Last edited:
Whoa, there is such a thing as an elite fanboy? How do I level up? :confused::D

I have not personally encountered a company that works so hard to attain excellence and (I can only imagine) sacrifices so much to give customers the most absolute value possible. Just when I think their knives are an amazing deal or perfect in design, they go and throw not one, but several new and better things at me.

Last edited:
You know what would make them better??? A folder!

Seriously though... I dont see a company that competes.

Edit to explain...
The original question was "Is Survive the BEST knife company?" I answered that in my post, by saying no. However, I would agree that Survive! is an awesome knife company. They are TOTALLY Awesome! I will leave my original post below, but wanted to put this preface as an edit because I don't want any misunderstandings.

Original post:
I love SK!, but the answer to your question is no.

SK! is in an elite class and most other companies only wish they could design and make knives 1/2 as good as what SK! is doing. However, there are a handful of other knife companies that are also doing an awesome job. Fiddleback and AA Forge come immediately to mind, and there are probably a few others.

Although they are not "the best," I only have VERY good things to say about Guy and Ellie. I plan to give them more of my money in the future and expect them to have much success and recognition in the years to come. They deserve it!

Last edited:
And really "the best" for anyone is going to be completely personal just like "the best" knife or restaurant or bourbon or dog or anything.

You guys are overthinking it !

I'm just trying to say that no group could decide definitively on the "perfect knife" and there's probably not a family out there that all agrees on what is the best pizza ever.

Although, as individuals we can have a grail knife or a favorite pizza or decide what is the best knife company for us.

Ok I changed the title
Sorry I messed up lol

Change it back! If you were going off my comments, I was just trying to qualify my thoughts to fellow SURVIVORS! and generalize for those just passing through our subforum.

Like I said in my earlier comment, I love Guy's designs, he uses the best materials snd beyond that there is nobody who has worked harder for my business. I'm with you, man!

To address the real, original question I'll mirror needle and say that "best" is a very subjective question. I'll add a wrinkle though and say I think they are by far the best relatable company. They are carving out a spot in the market through novel designs, top notch materials, and great customer interactions. Of course with growth there is learning, and growing pains. Frankly I appreciate these things for what they are, and am very excited to help support a company that is relatively early in their journey. Many of you knew of them and supported even sooner, but I enjoy spending my money with a company that does all that survive does for its customer base. I have by far spent the most money on survive knives vs any other brand (possibly combined?). As mentioned in another thread, I will happily be buying other knives from other brands as well, because variety is awesome and knives are both art and functional tools.

I bit rambling, but what I can say is I come to the survive forum and FB page because I like the folks that hang out here and I like the folks that make the knives and more so than anything else I have found thus far.

Cheers!!!

now...to find some money for a gso-6!!! Also since we successfully got the GSO-8 designed...how bout we start a push for a survive kukri!!!!

My only problem is: where will I get the money for the gso6, 8 and 10 ???

That's my dilemma. I'm going to have to make time to get some stuff put on the exchange that I normally wouldn't. Oh well, I'm really enjoying these GSOs, ha!

And yes, Survive! is an 'awesome' company. Refreshing to see user input considered, and in the case of the '8,' actually come to fruition. That one is definitely on the buy list.

Any company that will take time out of their schedule to chat with their customers is great in my book. It's hard to find high quality products that are made by humble folks these days. This is why I stick to brands like Survive!, Spyderco and ESEE to name a few.

Well, I think we're pretty awesome. lol In all seriousness though, a huge thanks to everyone who chooses to interact with us. You drive me to continually improve.

Well, I think we're pretty awesome. lol In all seriousness though, a huge thanks to everyone who chooses to interact with us. You drive me to continually improve.

I thought we drove you to drinking with all of the damn questions!

Well Guy, it looks like your move has worked out well, and that you have successfully moved past your early growing pains. My GSO 4.1s, 5.1s, 7/7 and 10 are among the best I own, and I own a bunch of knives. Sorry that you are no longer in Gettysburg, but the beauty you get to look at every day I am sure is worth it. When my life depends on it, I choose Survive! in 3V.

I am new to the S! family but I have to say that I am already a HUGE fan. Besides the fact that S! puts out an insanely high quality product at a reasonable price, I see the amount of effort Guy and Ellie go through to get these beautiful works of cutlery out to the public. I've noticed that the newer models are a redesign of the models after the initial release from a couple years ago that have a bunch of user-driven changes that rivals that of all other knifemakers. A company that has their finger on the pulse of their customers' wants and needs. That is extremely rare. Cheers to you guys for much success. You've got my future money - literally (4.5 preorder) and figuratively :D

I just discovered this brand here in BF this morning. I'm not sure how I missed it?? I definitely like what I've seen and read about Survive Knives. I only have two fixed blade field knives and I use them regularly. I may have to explore Survive further and add to my fixed blades by one.....

Hate for this to be my first post on Blade forums but just being honest and answering the question of is Survive an awesome company. A couple of people have stated that it is subjective and I completely agree. I am not trying to troll here or put down Survive knives, just telling the truth.

I have wanted a GSO 4.1 for quite some time and for one reason or another I have never been able to order one through the production runs for over a year. Don't want a factory second and they never had the materials I wanted anyways. I have either been traveling or busy at the times these runs have happened. When I realized they were being produced they would always be out of a faster I wanted, or a sheath color I wanted or a handle material I wanted. Before anyone says get on a mailing list or use social media.. I don't sign up for mailing lists because in my profession I get 4-500 emails alerts a day I have to weed through and just don't care to look at emails after work. I don't have a Facebook account for reasons I will not go into here.

I was thrilled with the starter program as I thought I would finally get a GSO 4.1 exactly the way I wanted one. Long wait? Probably, but not an issue because I have waited for a long time anyways. One of the First Friday production updates they announced that 4.1s were being mailed out daily and if you did not get a email you would very soon. I did not get an email. I went on the website (Their website they took my order though) and sent am email to their listed email inquiring about the notification and to try to find out my order status. I waited a week and a half as I know they are a small company , doing a move, and pretty busy. No reply. I then sent a message to them through my order on the messaging system and waited. I eventually got a reply to my inquiry about my order (3 weeks total wait) and was advised the ones shipping were old spec and I bought a starter knife that was going to go into production in a couple of weeks. Okay did not realize specs had changed as I rushed to place my order without reading the whole description, my mistake and not a really big deal.

Was sitting in the Airport in Vancouver killing time til my flight when I happened to come across a video of the "New Finish" of the new Survive knives. New finish? I checked my order and the starter description and these was no mention of a finish change. Humm.. I like the tumbled finish of the knife. I like the 90 Degree spine and get the reasons for change but that I was not aware of it or I would have not ordered the Ferro Notch because there is no need for one with a 90 degree spine, in my opinion. This did not cost me any additional as the starter gave you free upgrades.

Again I am not here to troll or put down Survive in any way. I just told the truth and wish they would have responded to my inquires through their website as fast as they seem to respond on this forum.

I since have bought a Used GSO 4.1 because I like the tumbled finish and I had already purchased a Sagewood Leather Works sheath that I am not sure is going to be as a precise fit with the new spec GSO 4.1s. Unfortunately I did not get it exactly the way I wanted one either.

After all that rambling I did not give an answer to the question at hand. Are they an Awesome company? Not yet but they can be when they improve their communication though their own website and email boxes.

Hub

Back