Is the 5 going away?

nobody will probably say it's going away because it's going to be made in D2 or s35v ;) lol

not really :D

sadly, there's things i know i cannot say. don't you hate that? i do! :D

Thanks for taking time to respond, Ethan. These blades are true values, considering the Fisk time put into them. Problem is, they're so well made you don't generate sales from absolescence! Whatever the case, my 15s are studying with me and getting passed to my son when I'm old and senile. A 5 or two will be ordered post haste.

I've been "eyeing" the 5 for some time now. It hasn't been a necessity, as my 7 seems to do just about anything I need it to do. And, if its too much of a task for that blade, my 9 steps up to the plate. So, maybe I should stop procrastinating and get a 5 soon! I know it's probably more versitile than my 7 and I'm sure I'll love it from day 1......just like all of my Beckers. Also, after hearing Ethan's 2 cents, I've gotta have one now more than ever. The man is not only a great designer, he's also a pretty dang good salesman :)

The 5 first caught my attention when the designer 'fisked' some of them at one of the Beckerhead gatherings. I wasn't privileged to attend, but learned a lot from the video that showed competitive events using the 5.

Shortly after I bought my first new 5 and it has seen only kitchen duty so far. Stumbled across a very slightly used 5 on the exchange and added it to the collection. Have used it as my carry knife any time I'm out and about and might need a sheath knife. I don't baton a lot, but it has done everything I've asked it to do. And I like the length . . . reminds me of the knife Jeremiah Johnson would have used. ;)

This news has prompted me to order another 5. Just in case. Gotta' have a spare for the spare, you know . . . :thumbup:

I'd buy a 5 and 15, but knowing myself as well as I do, I'd never use them. But that's more due to the fact that I rarely use any Becker other than my 9 and 14, than it is anything else.

As Ethan mentioned, it's a sad reality that some high performing knives - especially if they're not drop points / clip points / tanto with thick blade stock - don't sell well.

The mass market is what it is: mass. And that mass likes thick, heavy, "normal" looking knives.
The 5 and the 15 trailing points don't fit what the mass market thinks a "do all" blade should look like.

I have a feeling the Machax may even take a back seat once the Reinhardt Kukri is re-released.

Is there any chance of the BK5 and BK15 being relegated to limited runs from time to time, like the Buck 120 was before Buck brought it back into full time production?

This is going to be one of those situations where an item is under-appreciated until its gone.

Over time, years maybe, the entire paradigm will shift and some other style of blade will become the new norm and these "unusual" blade styles will come back into fashion. At that point one of two things will happen. They will go through the roof as collectibles or it will begin to be re-manufactured (and probably tweaked to fuel the comparisons of old vs new).

So you have a few options, get a couple and sit on them for the resale option down the road and double or better your investment. Or get one now to look at the new versions with a bit of disdain and say, yeah well MINE is the old one, the better one :D

Just a little ramble
Ryan

Well, I have a few, a 2, 7, three 11's. I've always liked that swoop, and this thread got me. I'll have a 5 soon.
Thank you Mr. Becker, for a great line of knives!

Nice score Dunk, any plans for it?
When I get a few bucks, or someone trades me (hint hint), I'll have a 5 and a 15... The day can't come soon enough. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just planning on using it and trying to learn the secrets it holds in it's design.

Good luck finding someone to trade with you.

Hey Dunk......

Give it a workout...... Work it on thin stuff to begin with...... Get your snap down...... Briars and vines are informative........ Clean baby, clean........ The blade is speedy, real speedy........ Technique is everything with this girl........ Work on the snap.....

E

You find out about Becker - so you get a 11 or 14. And it rocks. So you have to get a 2 to find out if the hype is real. And it is. So. Real.

So now what - you don't have unlimited money. Go big and get a 4 or a 9? Compromise and get the jack of all trades 7? Double up on short powerhouses and get a 10? Go against the grain with a Tac3?

Then there is the 5 - not a bowie, not a tanto, not a kitchen knife, not a big chopper. It's a big knife, but not heavy. It's a Fisk and a Becker. And it's so SLICEY!

The BK5 is clearly the Irish redhead with a temper. Lots of fun, but dangerous.

Hey Dunk......

Give it a workout...... Work it on thin stuff to begin with...... Get your snap down...... Briars and vines are informative........ Clean baby, clean........ The blade is speedy, real speedy........ Technique is everything with this girl........ Work on the snap.....

E

You find out about Becker - so you get a 11 or 14. And it rocks. So you have to get a 2 to find out if the hype is real. And it is. So. Real.

So now what - you don't have unlimited money. Go big and get a 4 or a 9? Compromise and get the jack of all trades 7? Double up on short powerhouses and get a 10? Go against the grain with a Tac3?

Then there is the 5 - not a bowie, not a tanto, not a kitchen knife, not a big chopper. It's a big knife, but not heavy. It's a Fisk and a Becker. And it's so SLICEY!

The BK5 is clearly the Irish redhead with a temper. Lots of fun, but dangerous.

Customized instructions and a great overview of the BK&T experience.

I love this place.

Back