Is the best hard steel knife REX 121?

I want a really hard steel knife. Is REX 121 the highest RC hardness? or is an M4 knife best. I think the REX 121 knives look so cool, but I have no idea where on could be bought. I would appreciate anything you know about this steel and/or where to buy such a knife. Thanks.

The only guy I've seen use REX-121 is Farid Mehr. It is very expensive and I've only seen it (bar stock) sold here in the exchange by Farid himself.

Jake Hoback has also used Rex-121

A steel that obtains very high RC is Cowry X. It is capable of 66-68 Rc.

Last edited:
I want a really hard steel knife. Is REX 121 the highest RC hardness? or is an M4 knife best. I think the REX 121 knives look so cool, but I have no idea where on could be bought. I would appreciate anything you know about this steel and/or where to buy such a knife. Thanks.

Are there particular tasks you want to perform? Ceramic blades are going to be some of the highest hardness blades you'll encounter. Hardness on its own does not make for a good blade. Material properties are always a tradeoff. Of course you probably know this.

You can get 1095 at HRC 64+ from custom makers. ZDP-189 tends to be run hard.

I know Big Chris has sold 10V knives @64RC for reasonable prices, I bought one.

Maxamet (70+ HRC) coming soon to a Mule near you.

Carbon 2.15 %
Manganese 0.30 %
Sulfur 0.070 %
Silicon 0.25 %
Chromium 4.75 %
Cobalt 10.00 %
Vanadium 6.00 %
Tungsten 13.00 %

I just read a little about Maxamet Alloy. The article said that Maxamet is to 10V what S90V is to 420J2. The article also said that Maxamet is used in applications where M4 is "too soft or wears out too quickly".

I didn't realize that Rex was used for blade material until I joined this site. I have ground Rex 95 tools for shaping and turning operations, and it's not fun. Not sure what the Rockwell was on it though. Seems like it would be an awesome blade!

I just read a little about Maxamet Alloy. The article said that Maxamet is to 10V what S90V is to 420J2. The article also said that Maxamet is used in applications where M4 is "too soft or wears out too quickly".

They are dead wrong...... I don't care who wrote it....

Carpenter states in their own literature than it has the same wear resistance as A11 (CPM 10V)....

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=103&e=84&c=techart

Wear Resistance
The wear resistance of Micro-Melt Maxamet alloy is better than that of conventional powder metal high speed steel grades and is equivalent to AISI A11 cold work powder metal tool steel.

MAXAMET is a hot work tool steel that gives A11 wear resistance in a hot work environment, that's what it was developed for.

Last edited:
The issue with those very high alloy content steels is that having thin edge, at least reasonably thin to be on a knife becomes a problem. ~30-40 inclusive edge can be too weak enough for some of those steels, maxamet included.

CPM 10V and similar alloys can't really perform to their max potential when the edge is ground too thin, 10-20 inclusive edge is not good enough to support high carbide edge.
Maxamet might have the same issue.
The thing with industrial cutting tools is that they are not shaped like knives at all. 90deg angles are common and they(industrial cutting tools) are part of the machine, not subject to unpredictable loads and use as knives are in human hands...

I have Farid's mule in REX 121, which is around 68-70HRC, and it is a bear to grind or even sharpen. I've killed 2 silicon belts on the grinder, trying to thin down the edge. 120 grit diamond stones are a bit better, but still time consuming process. Holds edge very well though :)

P.S. Neither ZDP-189, nor Cowry-X will do well with edges below 30deg inclusive, and both can reach 68HRC, if you find a maker willing to do that, most of the time I see custom ZDP-189 around 64-67HRC, I've seen one run of the kitchen knives at 68HRC, maker later dropped to 67HRC, too difficult to sharpen.

They make some knives in HAP 72 at about rc 68-69 :http://www.fendrihan.com/kiya-westernstyle-kamagata-knife-hitachi-steel-blade-p-2328.html

I've never tried it but the steel looks interesting. Of course between the hardness and thin grind it would not be an EDC type blade. I'd say expert level foodies who use it to cut boneless meat/fish, veggies. Obviously no dishwashers and use then wipe dry afterwards.

There are much higher priced knives than this in much simpler alloys. Still, I'd like to try it in a mule at this hardness.
HSS/Hitachi steels pdf:https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/products/auto/ml/pdf/hsts_a.pdf

Joe

That was a troll article... I'm pretty sure Cliff himself know better than most people here that extremely high carbide steel usually suck as a knife steel.

Attainable hardness of steel also has nothing to do with the quality. Hardness of steel depending on austenitizing, quenching and tempering process.

Even plain 1095 can reach 67rc as an as quench hardness...

Last edited:
In a thread about the H1 steel, it was mentioned that it runs at a high hardness (63-64, "work hardens" up to 68.), yet someone said that it has the edge retention of AUS-8 and similar steels. What's up with that?

Back