Is the Case stockman the most popular pocket knife ever made?

Personally I think Schrade probably sold more 34OT stockman when they still existed than Case ever sold any of their stockman, and for the longest time they were the only slipjoint I had ever seen next to my grandfather's vic classic.
Around here it's either the Buck 110, Case trapper, or some cheapo modern type folder.

I'd wager that the most popular folding knife in the world is probably the Victorinox classic.

Last edited:
Maybe old timey hardware stores do. To my knowledge there is only one hardware store in San Diego that carries Case knives in the store. Home Depot does not sell them. Lowe's does not sell them. Target does not sell them. Target does sell SAKs and stocks them in the store.
I'm lucky to have a handful of places around me that sell case knives I suppose.
At least 3 Ace hardware stores I can think of, 2 true Value hardware stores,
a couple of Tractor supply stores, and I even work at a place that has a small Case knife display.

The yellow delrin trappers go faster than anything else.

Unpopular perhaps, but you're not alone. I agree with you. Despite their name, SAKs are multi-tools, not pocketknives
I 100% disagree and feel that just like a scout or camp pattern it's a knife with tools, they're a knife first and to me it shows.
Look at an actual multitool and you'll see the blade is always a compromise, take a Victorinox multi-function knife and you get a very full capable blade that you can tell was the starting point of the design process.

If GEC made, say, 5000 modern updates of the Schrade 897UH. Then we’d be talking.

I have a few Case Stockmen , but I never use them . They were all gifted to me . They are FAR from being my favorites . I actually now prefer a Jack . As for the Victorinox , I consider them to be knives with tools , but they have many patterns . Compare their Working Patterns to the Case Stockman . They make many that are just Finger Nail Knives . Don't take their whole production .
I have no problems with Victorinox and I am thinking about getting one , but I don't really consider them a Working knife like some of you do . I just feel that I should maybe have one . Different strokes for different folks .

Harry

If we're sticking to Case, my money goes with the trapper as being a far greater seller than the stockman. For comparison - there are 4,644 Case Trappers on eBay right now vs. 1,592 Case Stockmans.

That could be interpreted as meaning people are dumping their Trappers like crazy because they don't like them while Stockman owners like theirs and are keeping them. :D

I 100% disagree and feel that just like a scout or camp pattern it's a knife with tools, they're a knife first and to me it shows.
Look at an actual multitool and you'll see the blade is always a compromise, take a Victorinox multi-function knife and you get a very full capable blade that you can tell was the starting point of the design process.
Couple of examples: to me the Vic Electrician is a rugged cattle knife with cap lifter added, and the Recruit is a pudgy pen knife with some tools thrown in. Definitely knives first, in my opinion (for what it's worth.)

I have no idea of the numbers of production from any knife company except what folks quote here. I doubt the Case Stockman is the most popular pocketknife ever produced internationally or nationally but I know this - it is number one in my book, and for me that’s all that counts. If I could own one pocketknife to carry for the balance of my days it would be a Case 18 pattern (I laid up a stock of them just in case it ever comes to that). Merry Christmas gents (and to the few ladies who grace these pages). OH
Case-18-pattern-1975-2015.jpg

I have no idea of the numbers of production from any knife company except what folks quote here. I doubt the Case Stockman is the most popular pocketknife ever produced internationally or nationally but I know this - it is number one in my book, and for me that’s all that counts. If I could own one pocketknife to carry for the balance of my days it would be a Case 18 pattern (I laid up a stock of them just in case it ever comes to that). Merry Christmas gents (and to the few ladies who grace these pages). OH
Case-18-pattern-1975-2015.jpg
I love the variations in that one pattern in your collection. Nice group!

Prague, Czech Republic.
Ah, the Infant Jesus, Our Lady of Prague. I have been watching travel shows lately, and one of the places shown was Prague. Beautiful place. I think the only things I have from the Czech Republic are some hockey pucks I got from our local hockey rink (junior hockey league).
Veselé Vánoce!

I once hog hunted with a guide who only used a yellow Case 18 pattern stockman for everything. He skinned multiple hogs that day with just that Case and used it I believe through his time as a guide in Alaska after moose, bear and wolves.

CF3F0787-F3D4-4DFF-A9AC-4BF739A1FAF7.jpeg A couple of medium stockman knives. A Buck 303 and a Case 3039. Hey I just noticed the 303 in both.

Very comparable in size but the Case is a more finished knife with the polished blades and more unique wood scales.

I don’t think I could pick a winner in the two except the Buck was significantly less expensive.

Both nice gentleman carries for sure.

,,,Mike in Canada

Back