Is the Cold Steel Lucky One Good?

Hey guys, I have a Cold Steel Lucky One in the mail. Are there any owners out there that love or hate it? I didn't see much upon my search mostly sales threads or debate over steel. If any of you owners have an opinion I'd love to hear it! I mostly bought it on a whim. I love CS knives and this is very different than the other CS knives I own. I do enjoy slip joints, and I have never owned this steel. Do you fellas enjoy using this knife? If this has a previous thread I apologize!

Last edited:
I can tell you that I wanted a single blade Lucky so bad, so that I could make use of the finger grooves in the handle, that I removed the second blade from the old two blade original Lucky.
This was before there ever was such a thing as the Lucky One.

I liked it so much that I bought a second one and did the same thing. Long story.
So the real thing , the more recent Lucky One, has got to be even better.

PS : the heat treat on mine with S35VN cuts well, holds the edge well under demanding use.

Here are a couple of photos.
At first I ran them both serrated. These are about the only serrated knives I have.
Then I got into EDCing one for a while as a plain edge see the second photo.

I like the carbon fiber and the way it feels in hand. Seems to be good quality; no problems at least.
At first I was disappointed that the blade was thicker than advertised but the heftier blade has it's uses; carving (slightly modifying) thick plastic or fiber reinforced plastic in a twisting motion cutting along a curve for example
PS: no that's not a chip in the edge it must have been a bit of pocket fluff. The edge is chip free. Good stuff.
IMG_3490.jpg IMG_4688.jpg .

I have one. I think it's a great knife. Quality carbon fiber. Fairly strong pull with half-stop. Thin blade and extremely light weight. Clip works well too.

There was a snafu with payment, long story..... When I reordered I went with the original lucky with one plain edge and one serrated. Still waiting (in)patiently!

I removed the pocket clip on mine. I hate pocket clips on a knife of this type. It works OK despite the back screw not being absolutely flush with the surface after since since the pocket clip cutout is recessed and the blade pivot and middle screws are good enough to hold it everything that matters tight.

Removing the pocket clip on mine required tapping out the bolt that held it (it was not held on by the screw alone) after unscrewing the screw on the other side of the handle. Doing so causes the tension on the blade spring to be released making reassembly a pain but not undoable.

I put it back together by removing the middle bolt and screw and putting back the rear bolt and screw sans pocket clip of course. This leaves the middle hole out of alignment with the scales. To get the middle bolt in I used a clamp and slowly tightened over the leaf spring that was exposed from the bottom of the scales until it's hole lined up the holes in the carbon fiber scales enabling me to gently tap the bolt in before securing it with the screw. I suppose a mounted or any vise for that matter would have made this even easier.

The blade pivot bolt and screw I did not touch since I don't want to play with those thin cheesy oiled nylon washers when reassembling. I figured just let it be. Maybe I will someday replace them with phospher bronze maybe but if it works fine the way it is I might be inclined to leave it be.

Those nasty finger grooves went away via a bastard file while submerged in a bucket of water. Carbon fiber is not to be toyed with unless you have a respirator so all my filing was done under water to prevent carbon fiber dust from being kicked in the air.

There was some grittiness in the action after finishing but with ballistol oil and a little opening and closing things smoothed up and continue to.

My reasons for this is I wanted a knife light and slim enough to get lost in my pocket without having discomfort when I sit or move around and that pocket clip was really putting a crimp on my plans. Removing the ugly finger grooves makes the knife look better and along with removing the pocket clip makes it even lighter.

Unfortunately I have no easy way that I know of to remove the tacky cheap looking "Lucky One" logo from the blade but nothings perfect and the quality will make up for it. On the bright side any one who likes to pocket other peoples pocket knives may just decide after reading the Lucky logo on the knife that it is too cheap and cheesy (first impression) for him/her to bother with.

As far as I am concerned I now have a better knife.

Last edited:
So far so good I carried it yesterday and today and I didn't even feel or notice it's presence in my back pocket. I think this is going to be one practical useful blade for me.

Here it is no pocket clip or finger grooves. I am sorry for the image quality. Its very handy and can be comfortably carried without a pocket clip or carry case. It looks better and slices things very well.

It now weighs 0.65 oz

Attachments

• Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.24 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.24 PM.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.25 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.25 PM #2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.25 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.25 PM.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.26 PM.jpg
    Photo on 4-2-19 at 3.26 PM.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I lost it and they no longer make the single blade version so I found and brought 3 of them old new stock. I modified 1 of them like above which I now carry. This is what I carry and use frequently. A great knife.

I've only got the two blade version. A bit thick behind the edge, but a good knife. I love having a pocket clip on a traditional ish knife.

Back