Is the Diamond Micron Spray and Slurry the same thing? And more

I am looking to buy some Diamond micron spray still not sure what mic I would need for ZDP, but I see sprays and slurrys for sale online are they the same thing? or is the slurry something different from the spray. If anyone can help me decide what micron types I need to buy for ZDP that would help me out so much. I just don't want to waste $20 on something that won't do me any good. I was also going to buy a Balsa Wood Strop and I found one I want but it comes with chromium oxide already on it. would that affect me using the diamond spray on that strop?? please help if you might know any of these questions. Thanks

Slurry = diamond particles sit at the bottom of the low viscosity solution, hence shake well before use.

Spray = can be in a form of slurry or suspension. Suspension = particles stay suspended in solution (will precipitate after weeks of sitting still, if so shake before use).

Paste = similar to wet-clay, for smear onto surface.

Diamond will abrade all steels low to high alloy. Zdp189 is a CrC rich alloy so diamond/CBN/SiC/AlO can abrade it, diamond/cnb is most efficient.

Starting out, I recommend you try a 1micron diamond spray. Get more when you want to explore deeper into sharpening knut.

Slurry = diamond particles sit at the bottom of the low viscosity solution, hence shake well before use.

Spray = can be in a form of slurry or suspension. Suspension = particles stay suspended in solution (will precipitate after weeks of sitting still, if so shake before use).

Paste = similar to wet-clay, for smear onto surface.

Diamond will abrade all steels low to high alloy. Zdp189 is a CrC rich alloy so diamond/CBN/SiC/AlO can abrade it, diamond/cnb is most efficient.

Starting out, I recommend you try a 1micron diamond spray. Get more when you want to explore deeper into sharpening knut.

I found a diamond micron slurry spray on eBay and its 1 micron do you think that would work?

I found a diamond micron slurry spray on eBay and its 1 micron do you think that would work?

What is its concentration, i.e. carat/volume. for example. 5 carats / 2 oz. If slurry concentration is low, just wait for diamond to precipitate at the bottom, then dump out 1/2 oil/water. I did exactly that for my oil based diamond & cbn, even though the concentration was good, I just wanted them higher :)

What is its concentration, i.e. carat/volume. for example. 5 carats / 2 oz. If slurry concentration is low, just wait for diamond to precipitate at the bottom, then dump out 1/2 oil/water. I did exactly that for my oil based diamond & cbn, even though the concentration was good, I just wanted them higher :)

It's 1 micron SMD in a 2oz bottle. I'm not sure what the SMD stands for do you know? Should I get this one?

For that price, I would rather buy from ChefKnivesToGo dot com, for a couple more bucks with known good concentration. You could also try diamond compound from United States Products.

For that price, I would rather buy from ChefKnivesToGo dot com, for a couple more bucks with known good concentration. You could also try diamond compound from United States Products.

What kind of diamond spray and micron do you think I should get from that website you added?

For now, you should just buy 1um. If you get good result with it, buy finer & larger grits (3, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1 micron) and possibly 0.1um polycrystalized diamond too.

Buy -> try -> report back with your result -> perhaps ask more questions thereof...

For now, you should just buy 1um. If you get good result with it, buy finer & larger grits (3, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1 micron) and possibly 0.1um polycrystalized diamond too.

Buy -> try -> report back with your result -> perhaps ask more questions thereof...

Yeah I'm confused about what type I need. I also heard about the lubricant sprays but I don't know how those work either. Do you? I think I will go with one bottle of 1 micron diamond spray and see how it works. Thanks

First and foremost i would steer clear of ebay sprays. You are looking for a quality product. The CKTG sprays seem expensive. But kens karat/ratio makes his product cheaper than any of the competitions (excluding hand american who he is exactly on par with) . Not to mention his quality control. when you start to get to that kind of an edge you need to have a very consistant media.

Which spray and which strop you choose to purchase is going to depend on what your regular sharpening progression is. Going from 25micron to 0.10 micron your probably not gonna notice a difference except your burr comes off real well.

For ZDP i would spring for the polycrystalline spray. it will cut faster than CBN.

tell us about what your current progression is.

Back