Is the Sebenza that great?

S35VN is NOT just a so-so steel. It may not be trendy, but strikes a balance between edge retention and ease of sharpening. It does the job most people use it for.

Absolutely. The new trend is "must be super-duper steel". A good example is using M4 on the Bradley Air. M4 on a itty-bitty, 1.3oz Wharnie. I guess it allows for cutting 60% more Irish pennants off your sport coat between sharpenings. :D

I prefer the umnumzaan but all CRKs are nice. Try one yourself and you'll know why they command such a price.

Do not own one myself, but a friend of mine let me carry his for a few days.

Craftsmanship, quality and F&F are beyond everything I handled before.
Unfortunately all the knives he offers have something I strongly dislike (like frame locks, metal handles, holes beyond one lanyard hole, etc.).
Only reason I do not own one (or several) already ;)

Last edited:
is the Sebenza that awesome?
Some users out there with any Sebenza experience?

Awesome is a pretty special word.

The Sebenza is a nice knife. Worth it? That is up to you.

I will say this, if you need someone to convince you to buy it, you probably shouldn't.

Im with Lycosa on this one. Yes they are that good. Worth every penny. I can't speak for the S35VN, but my S30V is excellent.

I've handled them and used one that did not belong to be and IMO It's not my cup of tea , nice knife, yes, perfect F&F yea , worth the price ? not to me .

if simple no nonsense, tear down and reassemble in your sleep bare bones knives are your thing there really is no other. The sebbie has earned a reputation. Its not one built on talk. I owned a large 21 and while I ended up selling it being a bearing flipper devotee I have to give credit where it is due and say it was probably one of if not the best knife I have ever owned from a fit, finish and tolerances point of view.

I got a Sabenza 25 about 5 months ago. I second everything that all of the + posts said.

To me, it's one of those knives that's never going to be the absolute best at one thing, however, it's great at everything it does overall. If the S hits the fan and I gotta grab one knife out the door, it's my sebbie. Go for the carbon fiber sold by KA for a sleeker look and reduction on weight. Enjoy

I took a trip to my local knife shop today and handled several large and small Sebenza 21's for the first time. I was not overwhelmed. They are nice and the famed fit and finish are very good but IMHO there's nothing exciting about the design or ergonomics. My impression was the knives on their own (without the name association) were a good value at $250 to $300. The rest is all branding.

I didn't think it was that great, at first. I got it and was unimpressed. I did some talking with theapostlep on YouTube and he told me to give it a while and see. (He also made a video about why it is so great.) I did. It has now kicked every other knife out of pocket. I am still in awe at how awesome the knife is, the exacting tolerances boggle my mind and I love the action. I did polish the washers, though.
I bought some other knives to quench my thirst for a sebenza, it didn't work, so I had to buy one. I'm glad I did.

§ David §

In my opinion, yes it is that great....but if you're doubtful of it then it likely won't seem that great to you. I fell in love with the blade shape immediately and was so-so on the titanium handles. Then I found the knife art carbon fiber version and it was all over. :)

It's an incredible knife and I have no complaints about the steel. To me the design & functionality is so much more important than the blade steel. I've made that mistake before. (buying for steel type) For example, I much prefer a RAT 1 AUS 8 over a ZT 0350 M390.

What I could argue is that, for the price, perhaps you should have the option to have your S35VN hardened a bit more.

I think the sebenza is worth. I love the ease in with it can be taken apart,cleaned etc and quality is top notch. I think it's not for everyone though. Some people want more flare or different materials but honestly it reminds me of the rolex submariner how many steel watches sell for that much, have such a high resale value and are copied by everyone? Same with the Sebenza titanium framelock.

A Sebenza is great, but the only reason it commands the high price tag is because people are willing to pay for it. It was a very innovative knife 20 years ago but today some see it as boring, i consider it 'Classic' myself but the point is if you think you're gonna get something from a Sebenza that you cant get from a less expensive knife you're wrong. Quality titanium framelocks, s330v-S35vn, and tight tolerances are fairly common today in knives, and even the biggest Sebenza fanboy cant say "it is the best knife for the money." People who say this on the forums tend to get flammed but I agree that a lot of the sales are due to the hype, its a quality proven knife but how many times have you heard "you just have to have one in you're hands to understand." CRK offers outstanding products, quality control, and warranty service, its made in the USA with great materials by the guy who invented the frameock but even still i youre paying a big premium to own one. People dont seem to have complaints or problems with em, the only hit most ppl can throw at a Sebenza is the price point. I personally really wanted one untill i got one in hand, i wasn't disappointed with it but moreso 'grounded'. Its defiantly a great knife, but like i said its nothing thats not offered by other knives. Hoestly if it was $200 id own one already, and if knives were my only hobby id probably have one regardless but $400+ can be spent a lot of ways and the knife dont do it for me at that price point. I see it as "obtainable luxury" theres other long lasting quality knives that can do the job a Sebenza can for less than 1/4 of the price, but if you want a Sebenza just because you want a Sebenza than by all means buy it. Its in the category of the person walking around with $750 custom Jordans, he may love and appreciate em for what they are but to everyone else there just another pair of Nike's. The small market and hype is what pushes the super high end products not necessarily the price/value. And being honest when you see the prices of designer clothes, custom Nikes, and high end watches, $410 to have what many people consider the cream of the crop of the knife world really aint bad if u want it and dont need to factor in value/price. In short it is a great as it seems, but only worth the pricetag if a Sebenza is what you really want. I would say definetly try to get one in hand before you put in the order.

Last edited:
Yes, the Sebenza IS THAT GREAT. SMOOTH and lasts forever. I've had quite a few of them; they come and go, but it's my EDC. It ties with my CRK Umnumzaan.
I sold a "small" Sebbie today, and bought a large Sebbie last week. I've had mostly plain slab Sebbies, and perhaps they are my favorite. However, I've had small and large graphic models, fancy wood inlaid models, and so forth. I've had a lot of very nice folders, including some nice customs, but my conclusion is that CRK is about as good as it gets. Obviously, my opinion, but based on experience.
Just find out, in advance, whether your hand size is fit for the small or the large version of the Sebbie.

A lot of people are fine with omegas but some prefer the real deal.

personally i see something as a Bradley Alias or the ZT collabs as real deal knives, just because it dont command huge prices doesnt mean its a slouch. CR is the framelock, but just because a knife has a straightish handle and titanium doesnt make it a copy.

It's like shopping at Lee valley compared to sears craftsman. Both have the same tools, but when you buy lee valley, it's a tool seven generations from now could still use with confidence

Back