Is the Skookum Bush Tool all that...

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
...and a bag of chips? I mean is it worth $500?
I am not trying to slam the knife but I've seen them for sale for quite a few years and always wondered about them. Could someone satisfy my curiosity?

I've seen a few of them as well and wondered the same. I'll be interested to see what people think. I suppose if people are willing to pay for it, the maker can charge that much for it at least.

I think in that size, a guy could buy an F1, a chopper or a hatchet AND have enough money left over for a sweet saw.
The Triple Threat.

I'm sorry but I've never looked at one and wished I had 5 hundo of disposable income. I have to be dollar wise with my money.
Like I said earlier, 500 will buy a sweet bushcraft knife, hatchet or chopper, and saw. If you add the chopper and saw on top of the knife, you could easily be at 700 to 800 dollars.

I am sure it is a well made knife, but I also wondered if that price was worth it. Glad someone voiced my thoughts.

I handled one many years ago. I remember it due to the odd name. Nothing special about it to me.

Is it worth the money? I'd say no. I admittedly don't understand some of the pricing on many customs tho.

I think you get more bang for buck with a LT Wright, White River, makers on this forums, etc.

While I like the looks of them and the butt cap on the end. I don't understand how you get five bills for one and it doesn't even have a soldiered on guard or anything like that to enhance it. I mean its a ground blade with some handle slabs attached. I'd say about 250 maybe is what I'd go.

They are nice enough, but I own several knives that are as well, or better made, and of better materials that I bought for less money. To each his own, though. I won’t knock anyone that feels differently.

Yep, I'm about seven years, and the guy never responded to phone calls or emails that I sent around MY four year mark. I don't think he's actually making them anymore.

I believe I have seen a couple for sale recently that people had just received. He certainly doesn't spend any time on the website. I think it was last updated in 2009. I actually didn't have any trouble getting hold of him back when I ordered and canceled., but no communication is not unusual with such a backlog. Not great, but not unusual.

I believe I have seen a couple for sale recently that people had just received. He certainly doesn't spend any time on the website. I think it was last updated in 2009. I actually didn't have any trouble getting hold of him back when I ordered and canceled., but no communication is not unusual with such a backlog. Not great, but not unusual.

The issue there is this. I got on his books by email in November of 2013. He told me the wait time was four years at that point. I said "Good deal!" and we had email communication a few more times where I was asking additional questions. In March 2016, I decided to change my steel choice from O1 to 3V because I'd learned more about knives in those years. He immediately responded with "Sure thing! Also, you're going to be "first of 2017 for your order to come up". This ended up being the last communication I received. In July 2017, I reached out several times, left messages and emails and never got a response.

So, one of three things has happened:

- He sometime between 2016 and now, stopped making knives.
- he somehow magically acquired about a hundred (or more) new customers in front of me in his books and I got pushed back (going on over two additional years now) which happened with zero communication from him
- He somehow erased me from those books completely

I had ordered a matching set of two, because I'd wanted to give one to my father. Oh well. Anyway, I'm not salty about it, I'm long past that point. I mean, there is literally nothing this knife can do that a Benchmade Puukko can't, and that's half the price of his direct-from-maker price. However, this experience is why I no longer get on makers' books unless the wait time is a reasonable timeframe like, a few to several months and I DEFINITELY do not pay up front.

Back