• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Recommendation? Is there a good place to consign vintage military knives?

I have a vintage (WWII era) military knife left to me by a relative. I've found listings for the same knife online, and it appears it might be worth a few hundred bucks.

I was going to just ebay it but it has a knuckle guard, so ebay won't allow it. I don't want to fall afoul of local regulations, so I thought a knife dealer who knows how to deal with that stuff would be the best bet.

I've seen some topics on here about consignment of modern custom knives, but not much about vintage knives that are more for historical/collectible value. Anyone know of good dealers who would handle this kind of consignment sale?

Thanks.

-Jason

I have a vintage (WWII era) military knife left to me by a relative. I've found listings for the same knife online, and it appears it might be worth a few hundred bucks.

I was going to just ebay it but it has a knuckle guard, so ebay won't allow it. I don't want to fall afoul of local regulations, so I thought a knife dealer who knows how to deal with that stuff would be the best bet.

I've seen some topics on here about consignment of modern custom knives, but not much about vintage knives that are more for historical/collectible value. Anyone know of good dealers who would handle this kind of consignment sale?

Thanks.

-Jason

A good alternative to a consignment sale which would cost you more $ in the long run, is to just purchase a Gold Level Membership here on BladeForums and then be able to sell it here with no sales or consignment fees. A Gold Level Membership only costs $30/year and with that level comes the privilege of being able to ask the other members here the value of your knife before you even sell it.

That will be your best bang for your buck + nearly unlimited information and help too.

The very best of luck to you whichever path you should decide.

Welcome to BladeForums J jdaly72 .

Link for paid membership should you decide that route:

A good alternative to a consignment sale which would cost you more $ in the long run, is to just purchase a Gold Level Membership here on BladeForums and then be able to sell it here with no sales or consignment fees. A Gold Level Membership only costs $30/year and with that level comes the privilege of being able to ask the other members here the value of your knife before you even sell it.

That will be your best bang for your buck + nearly unlimited information and help too.

The very best of luck to you whichever path you should decide.

Welcome to BladeForums J jdaly72 .

Link for paid membership should you decide that route:

I thought about that, but unfortunately the knife in question seems to be illegal in some jurisdictions due to the knuckle guard (hence the inability to sell on ebay) and I don't want to fall afoul of local laws by shipping to somewhere it's not allowed. A professional dealer would know the laws.

+1 for the gold membership. Just make sure you sell to an established member because there are the occasional scammers that pop up.

I am not a lawyer, but I do have some experience. Generally, shipping a knife to a jurisdiction where a feature of the item is not legal in that jurisdiction is not illegal FOR YOU. Additionally every state I have ever lived in puts restrictions on "evil features" and limits their being carried, not owned (with the exception of "ballistic knives"). If the new owner carries it and gets caught carrying it, authorities can't practically come back to you and penalize you for sending it--and no DA is going to file for extradition of a person who shipped a knife (it's stupid expensive and the time is just not worth it). One last note: if it's truly an antique it is by default a collector's item and doesn't fall into the same weapons classification despite whatever features it possesses. It's the same thing as when you import an out-of-spec vehicle from Europe. If an ungoverned Mercedes is more than 20 years old it doesn't matter how fast it can go: it's a collectors item and you can own it in the States. Now if the importer treats the highway like the autobahn...

If you are talking about knives, as in a collection, it would be worth bringing in an expert to help you sort it out. But, for one or a few knives, we can easily help you to identify them and then just offer them here.

n2s

IMO you will do better and learn more getting the Gold Membership. Take some photos and you will get some reliable information here. It's your decision whether to offer for sale whatever collectible knife you own.
The vast majority of members here are helpful and honest. The information will give you the ability to make decisions that are right for you. Good luck.

Again, the Gold Membership is a good investment. A consignment will cost shipping the knife to the company and then generally a 25 % consignment fee when it sells. The biggest plusses for consignment is access to the global market for collectors and you don't have to worry about the risk of shipping.

If you decide to consign, I highly recommend Arizona Custom Knives. I've been dealing with them for nearly 20 years.

Back