is there a way that i can patina stainless?

Hi guys
A friend of mine has a reproduction bayonet that he thinks is stainless that he want to patina to make it look old. I have only seen pics of it as of yet if it is stainless is there a way that i can do this ? thanks for the help chris

stainless doesnt patina very well, or sometimes it doesnt patina at all. A carbon steel does patina though.

Here's a question concerning the physical make up of the steel...what does stainless steel have that carbon steel doesn't that makes it resistant to patina/discoloration? Are some stainless steels better at this than others due to their makeup?

--sorry to hijack--

my understanding is that SS has chromium (chrome) that makes it stain-less. I know someone with much more understanding can/will chime in.

I have etched ATS34 in Vinegar overnight and it came out with a good patina

12% or more chromium makes steel stainless.
Don't let the term fool you. It can stain, rust, and be treated to darken it.
The cheapest and easiest way to "age" stainless is to etch it in muriatic acid. You get that at the pool supply or lumber yard. Two gallons cost about $15. It is nasty stuff, so if you don't know what you are doing....don't do it. Ferric chloride will also patina stainless steel, and is much safer.

I accidentally got a patina or etch on part of an S30v blade from battery acid which I believe is sulfuric acid. Not sure how well it would work doing a whole blade though.

I don't know of any GOOD way to handle sulfuric acid. Best to leave that alone and stick to much safer methods

Muriatic acid and ferric chloride, eh? Hmmm. Does it just darken the steel to a dark grey, or will it go black?

I'd like to see some pics of stainless darkened using these chemicals.

Back