Is there an easy way to make the kydex for my HEST fit more snugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hest has developed a pretty noticeable rattle and I've already tightened the screws a good bit. Is there an easy way that I can heat the kydex and mold it a little better around the knife? Thanks.

I heated up a Grayman sheath one time and then just inserted the knife and pressed it hard around it (using a towel to shield the heat). I used the oven. Like 5 minutes or so at 300. Not sure if that would work.

I bought a leather sheath for my HEST from armoralleather and that thing is sweet. I love it.

I heated up a Grayman sheath one time and then just inserted the knife and pressed it hard around it (using a towel to shield the heat). I used the oven. Like 5 minutes or so at 300. Not sure if that would work.

I bought a leather sheath for my HEST from armoralleather and that thing is sweet. I love it.

I never thought of a leather sheath. Can you post pictures of that? I might want one.

I'veheard of people wrapping wet 550 cord around kydex sheaths tightly. Reportedly when the cord dries it tightens it up. I've never tried it, but I've read it more than once. Good luck!

Interesting you brought this up, I had zip ties on my sheath for EDC on the belt.. Today I cut them off to use paracord and there is a very noticeable rattle, was it there before? Maybe I never noticed?

I don't know but I tried the screws to no avail.

Wow! That temp is WAY to high. You'd only put it in at 175 and if it's just a small spot you want tighter you're better off using a heat gun to just heat that one spot. If you put the whole thing in the oven you'll NEVER get it right again.

Or you can just order a new one.

I put a 3" long piece of paracord inside my Eskabar kydex sheath, under the edge of the blade. It took 90% of the rattle away. I could keep messing with it, but now I have to "make" it rattle.
I havent' seen the HEST leather sheath from Armorallleather, but I have two of their sheaths, and they are very nice. I have one for the RC5, it's perfection. My other is for the Swamp Rat Waki.

Wow! That temp is WAY to high. You'd only put it in at 175 and if it's just a small spot you want tighter you're better off using a heat gun to just heat that one spot. If you put the whole thing in the oven you'll NEVER get it right again.

Or you can just order a new one.

Yep. That temp is way too high. Ask me how I know.

I guess since I fudged my sheath up I need to order a new one. Where can I get it?

Yep. That temp is way too high. Ask me how I know.

I guess since I fudged my sheath up I need to order a new one. Where can I get it?

Ok, guys, I've thought about this some more and...DON'T put your ESEE sheath in for 5 minutes at 300:D

Seriously, though, that's what I did with the grayman sheath but those sheaths are really just like an 8 x 10 piece of 1/4" thick kydex that gets folded around the knife. So, when I heated it up, it unfolded completely. Then, I put the knife in the middle and folded it back around and held it tight in a towel until it cooled. Then the folded piece gets pushed back down into the molle cordura and attached.

I'm guessing the same technique doesn't work for the ESEE sheaths:eek:

Anyway, nows the perfect time to contact www.armoralleather.com! I posted some pics of my HEST sheath in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back