is there any chance that busse kin go CMP3V?

Hi , BUSSE kin guys here , i just wonder that is there any chance that busse kin go CMP3V?

recently , as i know that CS switched to 3v , what do you think some swamp rat & scrapyard knives made of 3V?

how about 1311 & rucki that made of 3v? do you think the application on longer blades will make 3v shining ?

sr101 and 3v which one is tougher , i mean more roubust against breaking & chipping?

sorry for too many Qs here , i have a KDSH and 911 now , and i am not going to test it , cause i am not a scientist by any means.

just have used the 911 chopping some thick aluminum plate , no damage to edge at all .

if there are 3v knives comes from Busse kin , i will buy one .

Last edited:
I am pretty sure Jerry already addressed this question in the past with a "No" and a caveat stating that Busse will use the best steel available to them for their knives, and will move on from INFI if a steel comes along that they feel is better.

Jerry tests all steels, and I know he tested 3V a long time ago. if he feels that 3V would offer a better pricepoint to performance than SR101, he would use it. Maybe doing another modern test for 3V would not hurt today. He may feel differently now that 3V has been around for a while.

Jerry owned tons of 5160 and never felt it worthy enough to produce blades to sell. He used it to for his people to practice making blades. He sold it all off dirt cheap. If he felt it was worthy he would have kept it and put it out at the time.

I would actually love to see Jerry use A8m steel, which is similar to 3V but from rolled stock instead of sintered powder technology.

Jerry owned tons of 5160 and never felt it worthy enough to produce blades to sell. He used it to for his people to practice making blades. He sold it all off dirt cheap. If he felt it was worthy he would have kept it and put it out at the time.

So if it's true that SYKCO is getting ready to release knives in 5160, what do you think made Jerry change his mind?

So if it's true that SYKCO is getting ready to release knives in 5160, what do you think made Jerry change his mind?

He knows more about it now and he was able to set up an HT protocol that works to his standards. Which is what he could do with 3V as well if he tried it today. But 10 years ago, I know he felt 5160 was not for him. If he comes out with 5160, I know he found a way to make it work

I would like to see the A8m as well. INFI property wise is close to this steel.

Yes, INFI is close, but it is made for Busse only, where A8m is a production steel and should be theoretically a lot cheaper so imagine an A8m Bussekin blade at the pricepoint of SYKCO or Swmp rat

He knows more about it now and he was able to set up an HT protocol that works to his standards. Which is what he could do with 3V as well if he tried it today. But 10 years ago, I know he felt 5160 was not for him. If he comes out with 5160, I know he found a way to make it work
Yes. That would be my assumption as well. I just wanted to hear it from you. :)

When Scrap Yard was created, Dan made no bones about the fact that knives would be made from whatever alloy he happened to find in the "dumpster" . Constructing knives from 5160 certainly doesn't break with that protocol . . . especially if Jerry found a HT for it that maximizes its durability. And the price points for knives constructed of 5160 should be really nice too. :)

Yes. That would be my assumption as well. I just wanted to hear it from you. :)

When Scrap Yard was created, Dan made no bones about the fact that knives would be made from whatever alloy happened he happened to find in the "dumpster" . Constructing knives from 5160 certainly doesn't break that protocol . . . especially if Jerry found a HT for it that maximizes its durability. And the price points for knives constructed of 5160 should be really nice too. :)

Yup, I would buy a scrapyard 5160 blade for sure. Remember the dogfather in SR77 and how far Busse bent that knife? It looked like it was made of Rubber...

Well that's SR-77 for you. I wouldn't expect 5160 in any flavor to be as strong as that, but we'll see. ;)

True...

Guy, there are other reasons why I don't typically prefer cpm steels. I do think 3V is a good steel though, these days. Too much proof that it is indeed a tough steel. I do think Boehler makes a better steel in the same process. But I still am old school in that I prefer rolled stock. If someone gave me a choice of a folding knife in S30V vs the same knife made of BG42 or ATS34, I would take BG42 or ATS34. But that is just my own preference and opinion. Not a fan of the sintered metal process, never have been. Similarly, if you put the exact same knife in front of me out of S7 and 3V, I will take S7 every time. I am weird like that.

Jerry tests all steels, and I know he tested 3V a long time ago. if he feels that 3V would offer a better pricepoint to performance than SR101, he would use it. Maybe doing another modern test for 3V would not hurt today. He may feel differently now that 3V has been around for a while.

modern test sounds cool , we may make a suggestion to BUSSE COMBAT ? is there other guys in ?
Jerry will take it into seriously ?

does a head to head test harms the reputation Jerry already has? i do not think so .:D

Last edited:
Back