Is There Any Interest In Some Pointier WWIIs?

For at least a couple of years now the WWIIs have had their current profile, that of a relatively rounded point. Some find the profile to be more useful in performing tasks, and some have found it to be unattractive. I'll admit to somewhat being in the latter group.

With that said, I'm curious to see if anyone would be interested in seeing some WWIIs made with a more pointy tip, maybe have Yangdu nudge the kamis to make some once in a while. Its too bad that Sgt Kharka isn't a regular HI kami as he would likely do a very good job with this.

Bob

Yeah, I think that would be nice to see some pointier ones. It would definitely make them more of a dual purpose blade. Sgt kadka does make graceful blades, I agree. The samshir with a 16.5" overall length and about 24oz would work too.

I'm one of the few dissenters about the WWII. (With the exception of a stunning 20" HI WWII I once saw.) Most khuks are tool/weapons, but it always seems the WWII falls into "tool" category to me IMHO. It's not my favorite, really, for anything.

16.5" Hill Walnut WWII with a false edge. I made it a bunch pointier, with increased ability to pierce.

Was using it to cut rolls of plastic & filter weave cloth at the time. Of course, before I took an HI to the grinder, I practiced by putting a false edge-let on a Winless Stealcraft.

Mike

I also would like to see more of apoint on the WWII's. I remember when Mike put the false edge on his and have considered doing it myself to the one I have. I think it is back on the front burner.
Terry

Personally, i like the WWII a little stubbier in the nose. I use my 18"er as my main camping blade for wood chopping and smash stuff. While it is still a giant honkin' knife, i feel that my camping neighbors might see the slightly rounded tip as less murderous;) However, I am not against anything that the collectlive whole feels would improve HI.
On a side note, I plan on taking the Sher Attitude Special instead of the WWII on my next camping outing. Thinner and lighter, plenty of heft for what I need to do, faster if i need to smack away any cotton mouths coming toward the canoe:p

Jake

Hmmmm, it strikes me that the big Pen Knives I've seen lately are similar but not matching to the "bellied" WWIIs. If the WWIIs themselves went a bit pointier, there'd still be a viable fall back in the form of the 18" Pen, for folks that prefer a rounder business end with more weight forward for chopping. Just thinking out loud.

Sarge

I like the pointier WWIIs. They're supposed to be based on historical pieces; I think they should look like it.

Hey I'd like the 1st Malla that Howard 'd received from UNCLE BILL.......Lost the link to the pic....but pic still flash up in my mind. That's a nice KHUK ! :)

I'm with Nasty, keep 'em rounded.

A little extra weight on the front makes it a hard hitter.

Take care.

You can still find them from time to time with more of a point. I have one by Bura that is a bit less rounded, and one by Sgt. Khadka that is much more pointed. Sarge is right and the two 18" pens that have been made definitely have more of a WWII blade geometry to them.

There are so many useful knives in the HI lineup that are more pointed that I have just grown to appreciate the standard HI WWII shape as is.

Norm

I'm not advocating discontinuing the rounded points entirely, just have some pointy WWIIs every now and then. Norm, I think I know the Sgt. Khadka WWII you're talking about. That was a beauty IIRC.

Bob

I like the WW2, but I'd like to see some with a pointier tip as well. The 18" WW2 is my favorite balanced khukuri that HI makes. I have one for camping, I'd love a pointier one (M43 style, or even more pointy) as a combat khukuri.
That being said, I can sink the point into wood readily with a snap of the wrist, and it will stick. So maybe it's pointy enough. Wouldn't want the tip to break off.

Ad Astra said:
Most khuks are tool/weapons, but it always seems the WWII falls into "tool" category to me IMHO. It's not my favorite, really, for anything.

Quoted for truth.

The one WWII model that I have is a 17"-ish villager that is the proverbial rented mule, and it is beaten like one. If it had a pointy tip I probably would've broken it off by now. It is not my favorite for anything but it does anything that needs to be done. Now how cool is that?

I enjoy the asthetics of the pointier tip and I believe that this configuration has more utility as a weapon. Treated the way I treat it, though, the more rounded tip is not only acceptable, but it's probably more appropriate as well. Pretty is as pretty does.

They seem to come out pointy from time to time via the DOTD's. Barring this, a very limited run of pointy ones might be a good idea if the interest is there. I'm quite happy with mine as it is.

The WWII is one that I have just never gotten around to buying. I will admit that the shape is the culprit. I just like the AK shape much better. And the M43 (don't own one) and the GRS (rounded) and ... especially the Samsher. So I don't feel like my opinion counts for a hill o beans here, but that is the reason I haven't bought one. Right now it makes sense to slow the buying. At least until I find more stuff to chop. It saddens me having my collection stuck in that stuffy closet. I still go in there and move the clothes and handle them all for a while, but its not the same as really getting them some hard work to do.

Back