Is this a legit Russian sword or knock off?

I been interested in buying this for my first sword collector piece. The seller wants $50.
I am trying to figure out if this is a legit Russian sword or a fake?
I have no idea if this is a good investment or not as I see no markings on the blade.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I been interested in buying this for my first sword collector piece. The seller wants $50.
I am trying to figure out if this is a legit Russian sword or a fake?
I have no idea if this is a good investment or not as I see no markings on the blade.

View attachment 1533598
s-l1600.jpg

Looks like a cheap wallhanger. Avoid, imo.

I'm not sure what you mean by "legit." Do you mean is it old? No. Is it a fighting weapon? Also no. Is it Russian? Also also no. Is it a sword shaped object? Well yes. Vaguely.

That looks suspiciously like the packaging that accompanies a raft of cheap Chinese daggers I've seen. The very fact that it has packaging should tell you some things about the quality none of them too promising.

The etch on what is almost certainly a stainless blade is poor, the fittings on sword and scabbard are pot metal, the scabbard is probably pleather covered plastic and a guess would say the grip is plastic as well.

In short it's not worth 15.00 never mind 50 if you are looking for something of any quality. In fact I would say the same about any 50 dollar sword. Not to be too offensive (truly) but if you needed to ask that question of that piece I would suggest spending significant time reading about swords both in reputable online forums like myarmoury and in actual books before making any purchase.

In short it's not worth 15.00 never mind 50 if you are looking for something of any quality. In fact I would say the same about any 50 dollar sword. Not to be too offensive (truly) but if you needed to ask that question of that piece I would suggest spending significant time reading about swords both in reputable online forums like myarmoury and in actual books before making any purchase.
I absolutely agree. No offense taken. I will study up on Swords a bit more before making any purchases. I know a lot more about knives than swords. The only things I was a bit weary of was the box. I will admit the etching and poor fittings passed by my radar completely.

Awesome. My first sword was a stainless steel ninjato complete with genuine plastic grip, shoe lace Ito and pot metal fittings. I think it cost me right at 50 dollars. I learned the dumb way so you don't have to.

I absolutely agree. No offense taken. I will study up on Swords a bit more before making any purchases. I know a lot more about knives than swords. The only things I was a bit weary of was the box. I will admit the etching and poor fittings passed by my radar completely.

Something worth considering is taking a trip to a museum that has a sword exhibit. Scrutinizing a bunch of museum-quality historical swords would be a good thing to put in the old memory bank.

Awesome. My first sword was a stainless steel ninjato complete with genuine plastic grip, shoe lace Ito and pot metal fittings. I think it cost me right at 50 dollars. I learned the dumb way so you don't have to.

Sounds alot like my first sword in the 1980's, piece of crap but I was able to get some nice throwing stars back in the day

This is styled after a Russian naval dirk,a presentation sort.
These were not a regulation item,an officer was expected to provide their own.
And they did so,each according to their pocketbook and taste,and their taste very often ran to the most god-awful kitsch,worse than Chinese knock-offs,worse than Walmart,often worse even than`the above pictured artefact:)
So,it Could be said that it's a fairly legit Russian naval dirk,if you wanted to be lawyerly about it.

P.S.
I'll tell you guys a story about these particular objects:Many moons ago i frequented one of the Russian forums,kinda an analog of this here BF.
At some point,after becoming particularly friendly with one of members there,in talking with him over e-mail and other more private means i discovered that the whole time he was communicating from a medium-security prison colony,where he was serving out the last few years of a 14-year sentence for banditry...(he claimed that no one was seriously maimed in the fiasco that put him behind bars).
Our relationship centered on his being an expert craftsman,specializing in etching and precious metals electroplating.
He was so good at what he did that it was a part of the reason why he served every bit of his long sentence-the prison officials had him make those exact Things as pictured in the OP,which they sold and traded to higher brass,to be given away as gifts and bribes,the presentation dirks for the`Navy(and i'm not sure who all else in their armed services uses that crap as part of dress uniform).
They gave him only a very small part of the money they made from selling his work,but they allowed him the use of a prison forge(a pretty gnarly place,he sent me photos of it and of equipment he used).Also he could use all kinds of chemicals and reactants,and even precious metals.
Also they closed their eyes on his use of a smart-phone,illegal there technically(he had a steady supply of stolen i-pnones,mostly traded for meth that he also made quite skillfully.Ho could get almost anything from outside the prison,yet another perk,i've actually sent him stuff twice,i think-some steel and satanite,and received a package from him also)
So he was their slave,for realz.
Anyway,that dirk in the OP is Exactly something that my buddy Alexey would make.To a "T".All the hodge-podge of elements,with that "fouled anchor" front&center lest you get confused and mistake it for something else:)
Mecha's advice about visiting some museums would be quite lost on him-he was following the tradition established long before(as it's also be lost on all the Russian military brass,the end-users of this...loveliness).
Alexey would make about 20-25 of these a year,depending on complexity et c.

So,just an illustration to Russia in general,and what's "legit" there,and to the whole genre.
True story.
(Alexey has been out now a few years,staying out of trouble(or so he tells me).Was very disappointed at my refusing to search out and send him some ethedrine,but got over it and forgave me,cheerful soul!:) ).

This is styled after a Russian naval dirk,a presentation sort.
These were not a regulation item,an officer was expected to provide their own.
And they did so,each according to their pocketbook and taste,and their taste very often ran to the most god-awful kitsch,worse than Chinese knock-offs,worse than Walmart,often worse even than`the above pictured artefact:)
So,it Could be said that it's a fairly legit Russian naval dirk,if you wanted to be lawyerly about it.
Interesting, thanks for contributing the knowledge about what the thing was modeled after, I assumed it was pure fantasy. I would suggest that this one is almost certainly Chinese junk, (as opposed to Russian junk I guess) based on both the quality and packaging as previously noted, much like the similarly packaged lotr daggers populating the big auction site. Do I know for sure? No. It's a pretty reasonable guess though I think.

Back