Is this a real or fake BM NimCub?

I got this at a flea market a while back and while it appears to be some really good steel I've had great difficulty finding any NimCub images that have the same design.
I think I found one image of a NimCub with a similar handle and I believe I've seen other images of M2 NimCubs, but the grips are different.
Real BM or not it appears to be a very nice blade and it takes a wicked sharp edge.
I got it for cheap at a guys table that was selling knives exclusively.
Even though I was suspicious at the low price for a BM I got it anyway because it felt pretty darn good in hand.
So, does anyone here know if this might be real or fake?
Thx.
gtWFoMp.jpg

It looks like the Tang is wider than the scales and the scales look like G10 _ looks alot like mine except mine is 154CM. I have seen that model, likely an early one. I assume it has the correct logo and model number on the other side?

If so, I'd say you got a good one!

Marketed as M2 High Speed tool steel. A keeper.
I took a photo of it at storage today, wasn't thinking about taking a photo of the other side... was in a hurry.
Yeah, it has what appears to be a legit logo on the other side, don't remember a model # though... don't think it has a model # on it if I remember correctly.
The steel gets lazer sharp. I guess most steels can get sharp, but this one doesn't need much work to get silly sharp.
Online research suggests to me that M2 is really quite good but was possibly a bit rust prone.

I just don't remember if the # is there... don't think it is, could be wrong. Won't be near my storage for a week or two to check it.
It does have the butterfly logo with the antennas on it, I know that for sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe thats a sign of an older BM (the antenna).
Did you sharpen out the nib at the beginning of the edge of the blade by the choil or did yours even come with a nib like mine?

Mine came the way it is - a previous owner used this to power through some tough stuff like wood, thus tearing up the coating, but then didn't sharpen it or anything, I think it was just put aside. I got t, it was dull where the coating wear is, but the rest was like it was never touched. Even the spine coating shows no wear, so it's not like the person beat it to death batoning or something. Anyway, I put an edge back where it needed to be and I'm happy. I really like the short fixed blade, never had one like this. Need more!

I see in the shadow of yours that it has the same spine contour that mine has - that the full size has - the Cub II does not, all I have seen are unremarkable same thickness spines ;-)

cub right.jpg

Thanks for the input.
Regardless of whether it's bonafide or not (I THINK it is... going to run on the assumption) its a super good utilitarian blade. It just feels right, and its a great size for just about anything I need to do.
It'll be my primary backpacking blade when I get a sheath that has decent retention.
If I was a 'tactical' guy the sheath might make sense I think.
I prefer something that has a solid grip on the knife.
Don't want to be miles down the trail and discover somewhere in the last "x" amount of miles I bumped my blade out.

That's the real ticket. Use it well, doesn't look but hardly used. M2 is a great blade steel!

That is the second one in as many days that I have seen with no model number - the other is a Pre Production ATS-34 model.

edited to correct metal...

Last edited:
That is the second one in as many days that I have seen with no model number - the other is a First Production M2HS model.
The printing is different sized and located a little differently than yours.
Did the other one you looked at have similar dimensions on the lettering and location of the lettering and butterfly?
I'm assuming this is not a fake. If it is, it's a pretty durn nice fake.
I'm keeping and using it regardless.

Its my belief yours is a genuine BM. Their marking seems to be all over the place, especially on early models. Check out the below pics, its of one on ebay, the thumbs will expand to full size pics if you click on them.

close elishewitz.jpg close logo.jpg spine.jpg

Its my belief yours is a genuine BM. Their marking seems to be all over the place, especially on early models. Check out the below pics, its of one on ebay, the thumbs will expand to full size pics if you click on them.

View attachment 1055726 View attachment 1055727 View attachment 1055728
I'm suspecting I got a good one, too.
If I was smart I guess I'd try to sell it, but that just seems wrong on a few levels.
It's so useful and feels so good in hand that I'm going to make it my backpacking carry when I get a sheath that has solid retention.
Thanks.

If you decide to sell it, let me know, I like the plain blades better than serrated, and an M2 steel would tickle my fancy.

Enjoy!

There's very little difference between ATS34 and 154cm. Many of my early Benchmades are bladed as such, and still deliver. Nice posting this one! :thumbsup:

If you decide to sell it, let me know, I like the plain blades better than serrated, and an M2 steel would tickle my fancy.

Enjoy!
Maybe someday... a very small maybe.
If it was stainless I'd likely sell it, but I have thing for decent carbon steel for a workin' tool.
Thanks for your input.

Back