Is this a US mainly forum? Where are you from?

What country are you from?

• I am from the USA!

Votes: 86 60.6%
  • I am from somewhere else.

Votes: 56 39.4%

• Total voters
I'm frim Canada, eh. I would say forum is mostly American members, that doesn't mean the forum itself is mostly American though. I feel we get so much useful info from around the globe it's great!

Every once in a while I see a member from like Malaysian or Bulgarian and that is just part of what makes the forum so special.

Last edited:
What about Taiwan, Korea, Italy, Japan, Russia, France, Germany, Canada, etc...?

Speaking as an American - Korea and Japan (and Taiwan to an extent) are some of our closest military and economic allies in the region; those countries are all home to large multinational companies who employ thousands of Americans and are investing in U.S. manufacturing (see Samsung, LG, Honda, Foxconn, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, etc.). They also have reasonable intellectual property laws. Good trade relationships benefit everyone.

Ditto for Germany, Canada, France, and Italy.

I'm pround to own vehicles manufactured in Japan and Canada, to own knives manufactured in Taiwan and Japan, to own a phone manufactured in Korea, and to own firearms and tools manufactured in Germany.

Russia? China? Well, that's where things get very complicated. I've worked with several Chinese people at my job, those individuals are some of the friendliest and most hard-working people I've met; I just think it is unfortunate that they live in a country whose trade practices I strongly disagree with, and I wish it were possible to support the Chinese worker without supporting the Chinese government.

I also wish there were no so many Chinese manufacturers willing to blatantly copy/clone other companies' products, willing to produce inferior products at a low price and flood the market with them, and willing to pay their workers such low wages in order to do so. Those companies are giving China a bad name.

I may hate myself in the morning, but I'm going to leave this open.

Do not go into political diatribes.
Do not insult one another.

One warning has been given for insults.
Moving this back to General Forum.

I may hate myself in the morning, but I'm going to leave this open.

Do not go into political diatribes.
Do not insult one another.

One warning has been given for insults.
Moving this back to General Forum.

Sorry if I broke the community discussion rules; for the life of me I could not find a working link to the rules and therefore did not know that politics were out of bounds on this particular forum.

I'm from 49ers territory in THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, but I'm not one who will only buy knives made in America though I prefer America most of all. I have no problem with quality knives made in Europe or south America, and own a decent number of Victorinox knives made in Switzerland, and imicasa in El Salvador makes one helluva machete.

I know that China can make a good knife and am not 100% against Chinese made knives ( there is a stigma in my eyes though ), but for my low cost high value tastes I don't need to look to China for a knife in my preferred price range.

What I really don't like is knives outsourced to Asia by American companies just to put more money in their pockets, for the simple fact that it's potentially one step closer to moving the whole factory to asia. I do own a sog seal pup made in Taiwan, but sog isn't really a solely American company anymore if they ever were in the first place.

Last edited:
Speaking as an American - Korea and Japan (and Taiwan to an extent) are some of our closest military and economic allies in the region; those countries are all home to large multinational companies who employ thousands of Americans and are investing in U.S. manufacturing (see Samsung, LG, Honda, Foxconn, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, etc.). They also have reasonable intellectual property laws. Good trade relationships benefit everyone.

Ditto for Germany, Canada, France, and Italy.

I'm pround to own vehicles manufactured in Japan and Canada, to own knives manufactured in Taiwan and Japan, to own a phone manufactured in Korea, and to own firearms and tools manufactured in Germany.

Russia? China? Well, that's where things get very complicated. I've worked with several Chinese people at my job, those individuals are some of the friendliest and most hard-working people I've met; I just think it is unfortunate that they live in a country whose trade practices I strongly disagree with, and I wish it were possible to support the Chinese worker without supporting the Chinese government.

I also wish there were no so many Chinese manufacturers willing to blatantly copy/clone other companies' products, willing to produce inferior products at a low price and flood the market with them, and willing to pay their workers such low wages in order to do so. Those companies are giving China a bad name.
I know this is way off topic and I'm sure it sounds stupid, but I've never seen or heard of a Canadian made car. I guess I'll have to hit Google.

Last edited:
I live in the US, but have lots of knives from other countries. A lot of great knives from hard working custom knife makers worldwide.

I am from Czech Republic and most of what I buy these days are custom folders from czech makers(but I am expanding to other european makers as well :)), if I go with production made knives it's mostly US or chinese(far less) made. I really don't care where it's made as long as it's made well from good materials and with original designs.

Reactions: Mo2
I'm from Liechtenstein (tiny Country between Switzerland and Austria) and i love high quality knives,no matter where they come from

I am Croatian but over 50% of my knives are from the US, around 40% from Europe (mostly Germany and Italy) and <10% from Asia.

Currently in the US.

Chinese made knives beats pretty much anything from the US. They actually cut, they use higher end materials at the time price, better QC and F&F, they actually want their customers to be happy with the knife, etc.

Although still nobody can seem to realize that people have different size hands, so making a knife to fit your hand size only just shows the class of the designer.

I know this is way off topic and I'm sure it sounds stupid, but I've never seen or heard of a Canadian made car. I guess I'll have to hit Google.
I don't know of any Canadian auto companies but I did tour a General Motors plant in Canada once. I think there are several others as well.

I'm from Canada and will support a company making a quality product that supports it in the markets it gets sold in with a reasonable warranty and good customer service. Barring anything truly egregious that grants me pause to consider any moral or ethical dilemmas, that's about as far as I contemplate when looking to purchase a product.

Not sure about automotive companies started in Canada, but there's a few manufacturing facilities here:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/auto-auto.nsf/eng/am00767.html

I am an American and understand that we live in a world market. Another hobby of mine is audio equipment like DAC's, tube amps etc. There are Chinese audio engineers that make their own designs that rival anything from the US or Europe. Plus I know that American companies can make just as much crap as low end Chinese manufacturers.

As for Canada....well, they have Tim Hortons.

USA here. I'm guessing our high standard of living, love of consumption, and freedom to carry sharp tools in public make Bladeforums a predominantly American community. Add Canadian users and that makes this a North American-dominated site.

Like some here, I will try to use my dollars in concert with my politics, but it's not always easy. Mostly, I have been trying to spend less and use what I already own more wisely. An old Yankee proverb, "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without" comes to mind. But it's hard. Someone on BF has a signature line that reads, "We don't buy knives, we buy new emotions." And who doesn't want new emotions these days?

Zieg

Back