Is this a US mainly forum? Where are you from?

What country are you from?

• I am from the USA!

Votes: 86 60.6%
  • I am from somewhere else.

Votes: 56 39.4%

• Total voters
USA here as well. When it comes to buying knives, I'm not overly particular about where it was made, as long as the quality reflects the price tag. I have bought American made junk as well as Chinese.

I am from the US. My buying habits for anything are not primarily based on country of manufacture, but on overall perceived function and value to me.

Some of you guys are paranoid. Not everyone that makes a post you disagree with has "an agenda". Different day, same shit, same people. Booooorrrinnnngggggggg

I'm from the US, not ethnocentric like many others have said though I do like to support my fellow countrymen & neighbors where possible if they make a good knife I'm in, I don't buy clones or support cloners that said nothing really new under the sun and so forth but I won't partake in blatant thievery

American here. I don't care where something is manufactured but do tend to stick with knives (products in general) from American companies. My reasons are not political - it's about customer service. I don't want to send my knife overseas for warranty work or replacement if there is a problem. If a company is not American but has facilities and consumer outlets in America that's good enough for me. As long as there are local ways to get customer service. I drive a Toyota and I am significantly happier with the product than I was with my Ford.

Usa

No clones, homages, copies logo or not. No one is telling you not to buy them (tho I'd recommend not to) just don't spread it around social media or sell them so that the real knife community doesn't get burned. There is a selection of so many good affordable original designs that it's just bs to get one in the first place.

I like knives from all origins. But I prefer quality over all. My favorite has got to be Reate. I also like we knives and Rike Knife. Not a fan of most of the others out of China due to low quality, qc or other issues.

Last edited:
It would seem if you are not from the USA that the insistence that you must buy a knife made in the USA could be a bit strange to you.

USA. Who here has ever told you that you (or anybody else here) has to buy an American knife? And if they did, why would you care? For Scagels sakes, the number of people around here lately who feel like other members exert some sort of mind control on them. :rolleyes:

I mean I like the vast vast majority of members here and trust and respect their opinion. But none of them has ever made me do something I didn't want to do, or think something I didn't want to think.

Sheesh...it's the internet.

Buy your knives from whoever you want.

I'm from Canada. Chinese manufacturing has just rubbed me the wrong way for many years now. They will have to come a loooong way before I will consider buying a Chinese made knife. I would find it difficult to have any pride of ownership in it.

I own mostly USA made knives right now. A few that were made in Japan, Some custom made Canadian fixed blade knives, soon I will have a custom American made knife and I would not hesitate to buy a quality knife made in Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil etc.

I'm American of Japanese descent (my family's roots have been here for more than 100 years). But I also spent most of my 20s living on my own in Taiwan. Even though I left there almost 25 years ago and have no plans to return, I considered Taiwan my second home.

I like good knives regardless of where they come from, and strongly dislike poorly-made or designed knives regardless of where they're from. I thoroughly love my country but am not "rah-rah-rah" about it. My main carry knives at the moment are from Switzerland and the U.S., and I also really like and use knives from Japan, Taiwan (and yes, sometimes China, too, but very limited). I've never owned any knives from Germany, Italy, or etc.

I've had awesome knives as well as crappy knives made in the USA. In fact, the 'worst' knives I've ever owned were some cheap boys' pocketknives back in the '70s made by Colonial. Those were REALLY bad. Out of the package they had badly-painted, loose plastic scales and blade play (they were 'traditional' slipjoint patterns). They clearly weren't made to last, and were intended to be broken and/or lost, as many boys' things are. But they were proudly made in the USA. OTOH, my CRKs are the best-constructed knives I've ever owned (also USA-made).

COUNTRIES don't make knives. Manufacturers WITHIN countries make knives. Regardless of where they are.

Jim

Last edited:
I feel you man.
I live in Holland and knife prices here are just stupid.

Every time i compare bladehq to knivesandtools i want to cry.

Anywhere you live in the world there are tradeoffs. In the US, knives are less expensive, but health care is the highest priced in the world. Every time I get a bill from a health care insurance company, I want to cry. But then I buy a new knife and feel better. :p:D

Last edited:
I am an American and live here in the states. I have knives from the US, Japan, Italy, Taiwan, Finland, Sweden, Germany, China, Czech Republic, El Salvador and maybe others. A good tool is a good tool. That said, I do like to buy American made goods. It has nothing to do with politics. Countries don't make things, people do. It is about supporting my neighbors. I live in a state in the US that has one of the strongest "buy local" cultures in the US. I try to shop at local shops and support small businesses in my area. I also try to buy most of my food from local farms. When I can't do that I look to support businesses in my region of the country and it expands from there. I cannot and do not always follow this principle but it does weigh into my decisions. If I cannot support something local I will choose to support something American made. If I see something I want made by a reputable company in another country I have no issues buying it too though.

My wife is from Syracuse, NY and I used to like to support Camillus because I was in turn supporting that community. I was very sad to see them go.

For me it is about economics, not politics.

So I am from the USA and I think the forum probably has a majority membership from here as I believe we might have some of the least strict knife laws amongst many other major countries. The subject of where my knives originate I don't care as long as it is a quality piece packed by a reputable company. I have French, Italian, American, Japanese, and Chinese made knives I can think of off the top of my head. I should get some German made knives to add to my collection :p.

....It would seem if you are not from the USA that the insistence that you must buy a knife made in the USA could be a bit strange to you.
I agree. This forum is pretty much international at this point but primarily USA folks. There is obviously a general bias toward US made product but there are very good knives being made all over the world now. I have a moderate USA bias with knives, but it is not a dominant concern. Product being made worldwide has only increased the overall quality of what is available and has pushed US makers to do better.

US citizen and love buying American, but will
also buy from other countries.
I have some WE knives and a couple Kizers. Original designs and made very well.
No clones or copies......ever.
Joe

Just to be clear, I am a Canadian living in Chile. I am about as neutral as it gets.
I bet it's comforting to be able to get online and visit an English language forum when you are from primarily an English speaking country and surrounded by folks that speak Spanish.

USA. Who here has ever told you that you (or anybody else here) has to buy an American knife? And if they did, why would you care? For Scagels sakes, the number of people around here lately who feel like other members exert some sort of mind control on them. :rolleyes:

I mean I like the vast vast majority of members here and trust and respect their opinion. But none of them has ever made me do something I didn't want to do, or think something I didn't want to think.

Sheesh...it's the internet.

Buy your knives from whoever you want.

But I am trying to exert mind control :mad:

Back