Is this a US mainly forum? Where are you from?

What country are you from?

• I am from the USA!

Votes: 86 60.6%
  • I am from somewhere else.

Votes: 56 39.4%

• Total voters
I'm an Italian but right now I'm living in Venezuela!.. I like good constructed knifes no matter where they came from... Hasta la vista baby!

I didn't get past page one...couldn't take it. Take the argument elsewhere or keep it private. I don't want to hear it or read it.

From Canada...
I carry Amercian, Swiss, French, Russian, Chinese, South African, Japanese and Canadian knives with a smile on my face. :D

I'm from New Zealand. Something I also see often on these forums is unwillingness to sell to international buyers. Why is that?

From my own experience, it is the difficulty with shipping. The last time I sold a knife on the forums to someone outside the US, my local post office told me that the shipping of knives to a foreign country through the US Postal Service was absolutely forbidden, due to a new rule. I think they were wrong, but they were convinced that they were right. The only other options, like UPS or Fedex, make it much more expensive for the buyer.

To the OP - I will buy quality knives from just about any country, with just a few exceptions where intellectual property is not honored or the political conditions are such that I refuse to put any more money into their economy. Right now that only knocks two countries off my list, so most of the world is good for me.

USA by birth, Swiss by choice. I don't care about country of origin, just quality of the knife and company.

Nice snaps! Yeah I feel ya on the prices. Most retailers charge 60-80usd shipping when in actual fact it costs 30-50.

Where in NZ are you? Auckland myself.

Taipa, near Doubtless Bay in the far north.
I have a pre-order in at Knife Center and the shipping from them is actually pretty reasonable, as long as I go the slow budget option.

I too have found the reluctance to ship overseas an issue. Or maybe a blessing as it stopped me from buying a lot on the exchange here lol.

I'm a Filipino (Philippine citizen) who extremely likes American multitools (Leatherman), tacticals (Spyderco), traditionals and Swiss Army Knives.

Taipa, near Doubtless Bay in the far north.
I have a pre-order in at Knife Center and the shipping from them is actually pretty reasonable, as long as I go the slow budget option.

I too have found the reluctance to ship overseas an issue. Or maybe a blessing as it stopped me from buying a lot on the exchange here lol.

Oh awesome, no wonder you got some nice looking snapper then haha.

Yeah I actually have an order on its way from them, shipping was only 1/4 the price of other places. Did you have trouble getting the order placed with them? They wouldn't accept my credit card as my location had been flagged as high risk for fraud, what's that about. Ended up accepting it after a bit of back and forth.

USA (San Diego)

I'm from Canada. Chinese manufacturing has just rubbed me the wrong way for many years now. They will have to come a loooong way before I will consider buying a Chinese made knife. I would find it difficult to have any pride of ownership in it.

I own mostly USA made knives right now.

As do I.

I purchased my first WE knife on the secondary market recently just to see what all the fuss was about. I'm pretty certain that this will be my one and only, made in China knife purchase. Not impressed.

Firearms on the other hand, is an International endeavor for me.

Cape Town, South Africa.......Lucky for me we have some of the best knifemakers on the planet. I do like USA production though.:)

Yes you do. :thumbsup:

I actually received a CRK Pacific in the mail today. Even though this knife was made on U.S. soil, most likely by American hands, I still consider this awesome knife South African; made from 100% South African inspiration, by a South African legend. :thumbsup: :)

I didn't get past page one...couldn't take it. Take the argument elsewhere or keep it private. I don't want to hear it or read it.

^ :thumbsup:
Just an FYI SD: Knarfeng put an end to all of the nonsense at the beginning of page 2; everything was back on topic from that point onward. :thumbsup:
Ms1a1Cz.jpg

You are joking right?
Nope. Look at the Chinese knives like WE, Reate, Liong Mah, Etc. None of them are folding prybars. They also offer far better materials at the same price especially in the 300+ range...
I don't see ProTech, Emerson, Brous, EOS upgrading their materials even though WE, Reate, and Kizer are all beating them with better QC, F&F, and Materials for less.

The US market has a thing for folding prybars while the Chinese market doens't. Medford, ZT makes some, DSK Tactical, Hinderer, Strider, Crusader Forge, EOS Knives, Etc.

I am from France
I like knives that are true to their heritage and as much as possible I buy knives maxes in Europe or in the USA

Yes you do. :thumbsup:

I actually received a CRK Pacific in the mail today. Even though this knife was made on U.S. soil, most likely by American hands, I still consider this awesome knife South African; made from 100% South African inspiration, by a South African legend. :thumbsup: :)

Thank you Sir, most kind of you to say.:)

Oh awesome, no wonder you got some nice looking snapper then haha.

Yeah I actually have an order on its way from them, shipping was only 1/4 the price of other places. Did you have trouble getting the order placed with them? They wouldn't accept my credit card as my location had been flagged as high risk for fraud, what's that about. Ended up accepting it after a bit of back and forth.

The first time I ordered from them I had the same issue as you, but the 4 or 5 times since then have been no prob at all. I have a Maxamet Para2 pre-ordered at the mo.
What you got coming if I may ask?

Yeah that's an advantage of living here for sure, fresh fish is usually just a matter of going out and getting them.

Back on topic almost all of my folders have come from the U.S. simply because that is where the knives I want are. As far as quality knives go, I can't handle before buying, I am totally interweb dependent.

Vast majority of people here would never pony up for a good Spyderco/Benchmade/ZT, so I buy a few cheap chinese folders to on-sell to people at work. Share the hobby, help people get a functional EDC folder they can afford.
And then charge them 5 bucks to put an edge back on them when they're blunt :D

You are joking right?

Well if you look at it objectively, euro for euro, dollar for dollar, made in china is better than made in the USA for the most part.
Or most other places that matter.

China has better infrastructure for production.
China has a massive production sectior.
China has a much weaker currency which makes labour a lot cheaper.
China ships so much that shipping is always going to be cheaper.
China has good trade deals so you often end up paying less taxes.

Not talking about cheap crap made to be cheap, but when they actually make quality stuff.

There's a reason so much is produced in China.
The're simply the best at making stuff.

Ofcourse there's more to this than just production efficiency, but you get the point.

Also not saying knives made anywhere else aren't good. It's just going to be more expencive to make a knife in the USA vs China

I am from Czech Republic and most of what I buy these days are custom folders from czech makers(but I am expanding to other european makers as well :)), if I go with production made knives it's mostly US or chinese(far less) made. I really don't care where it's made as long as it's made well from good materials and with original designs.

I think we actually have an outsized group of both Czech members and makers. I've been a fan.

I'm Russian.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/tactical-fixed.1186860/
60fa7e8609f2.jpg

I'm from Catalonia, Spain, and have met other four Spanish forumites here.

I like, own and use knives from Japan, Taiwan, Germany, New Zealand, France, USA, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, South Africa, China, Thailand, Nepal, and India.
I search for what i like, and don't care for the procedence as long as I see value and fun in it.

As for the forum, I often see two things that I don't like even though I understand them

- One is the reluctance to ship overseas, which automatically makes 90% of the trade posts an impossible feat (there's customs interference, lost packages, long shipping times, different laws and legal troubles, different currencies, etc.)

- The other is the extremely close minded thinking in relation to guns. Especially in the EDC Gear, PracTac and General Discussion forums you see every day blunt answers like "Just get a gun", "I always have my gun on me for that", "With my gun by my side, I don't even consider that possibility", "I hunt with my guns and wouldn't dare to go there/do that without it" etc.
That demonstrates the lack of knowledge (and interest in) of the different gun, firearm and carry laws in all other countries and the members of the forum that live in them and by their laws

Just my opinion of course, but it sometimes gets really absurd and annoying always resorting to "the gun argument"

Back