Is this normal?

nordicsniper

Gold Member
Alright, I will say that this Megamandu is my first Rat in Swamp Comp...but is this normal?

I’ve only been able to handle it a few times, haven’t even used it, and this is already on various areas of the handle:

https://i.imgur.com/RW12uH4.jpg

SR-101 is not stainless. It's prone to patina from use and speckling or rust if not maintained properly. This is going to be compounded if you have a higher than average PH level skin and/or live in a more caustic environment, like near the ocean. You should keep it oiled, rubbed down with Renaissance Wax or just embrace the patina.

Yes. It is one reason some avoid carbon steels.

52100 is an amazig steel....but it is high csrbon steel.

There are ways to remove it easily.

I have a loaded strop bat which has eaten many spots in its time. However I also like patina on many knives, and actually encourage it.

Alright, I will say that this Megamandu is my first Rat in Swamp Comp...but is this normal?

I’ve only been able to handle it a few times, haven’t even used it, and this is already on various areas of the handle:

When I got my mega warden I noticed the steel behind the logo was very dark. I wear it iwb In a brown kydex sheath and the tip keeps rusting. I blow glass most of the time I carry and E11ADC25-A80E-4968-A7FE-41C59A7167E5.jpeg DC4CBB11-1E32-4F3F-A1EE-412EF1818017.jpeg It gets hot and I sweat a lot. I know sr101 is not rust resistant but I’m starting to think I should edc infi from now on ;)

Before you use any abrasives (even a loaded strop), I’d advise using hot distilled vinegar and a q-tip to remove those spots, and then I’d suggest painting on more hot vinegar on the rest of the blade to “force” a patina.

IMHO this is better than allowing red rust to grow as the patina formed by red rust is inclined to keep rusting, whereas the vinegar patina will be grey and tends to resist future red (bad) rust.

Except for INFI, the best knife steels rust easily.

There is some maintenance involved with that but the juice is worth the squeeze imo.

If it’s a safe queen or a future bartering or for-sale piece it’s a problem. If it’s a user i just embrace it.

Part of me didn’t want to force patina my Mega RMD but it had to be toughened up because I didn’t buy 3/8 thick SR101 to sit around like a princess.

Yep, it’s normal. Doesn’t bother me a bit - I love a good, dark patina.

If you want to knock pepper spots like that off, there’s some stuff you can buy at any autozone that’ll take it off like it was never there. It’s called Nevr-Dull wadding polish. It’ll take off any and all surface stuff and even some pitting if it isn’t bad.

If you want to keep it from getting a patina use Ren Wax, but you’ll still have to wash it after you use it and reapply, etc.

It’s much easier (and looks better IMO) to let it develop a patina naturally as you use it. All I do with mine is wash it with dish soap and water after use, dry it, and put a little mineral oil on it. Whatever patina it earned, it keeps.

I appreciate the input, gentlemen!

I’ve done a lot of force patinas with Beckers but never SR101. I guess I was just really surprised how easily it happened and curious if something was up.

I do feel that this is the perfect blade for my first Swamp Comp. Looks like I’ll be forcing a patina sooner than I thought :)
Pics will follow eventually. I’m almost done with the Mega’s kydex

You could also wax it to help prevent rust.
I like Beeswax & Coconut oil.
3 to 1 mix. 3 parts coconut to 1 part Beeswax.
I'd probably mask off the Micarta first, won't hurt it but the wax/oil will load up in the micarta.

Just to add - you can also just use hot vinegar to clean up spots as they appear without forcing a patina on the whole blade. The knife below (also Swamp Comp) developed a few spots after a hike on the coast and I just rubbed off the rust with vinegar q-tips, washed, dried, and oiled it...
3D436D05-F187-4155-A6FF-A69ACDC8B6F2.jpeg DA383E7C-D5CC-4368-9A21-80052442AA73.jpeg

some people just have that kind of oils in there skin that can patina steels quickly. I suggest oiling it often or giving a forced patina if your into that look. I just let mine go and eventually the entire handle will patina dark like that but I also EDC mine and shes a user so stains are going to happen I oil my sheaths so the blade stays clean though.

Luckily, I do like patinas, so it appears that I’ll be diggin this blade even more. Kinda embarrassed that this is my first experience with Swamp Comp over the years but I’m lovin it so far.
I am goin to definitely combine all of these suggestions and have a masterpiece.

Logo on my work user mega swamp warden is half orange after the rains hit this week. Fortunately its muddy brown coated and the rusty logo looks good on it !

Back