1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Is this Schrade 509 missing model on tang stamp?

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by RevolverGuy, Apr 29, 2019.

1. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy

Aug 19, 2015
    I recently came across a Schrade 509 (USA) but it's the first one I've seen without the model number on the tang stamp. Does this look normal? I am wondering if it's a fake.

[​IMG]

TonySal likes this.
  2. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    Common stamp used on some SFOs. I have some Sharpfingers marked that way. The blade may have been intended for a DU or Federal Duck stamp issue or... Overruns were common. Intermittently a backstock of overruns would be sold in bulk to a buyer like SMKW.

TonySal and RevolverGuy like this.
  3. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy

Aug 19, 2015
    Thanks Codger_64. I have a few Schrade's in my collection but am not as knowledgeable about their tang stamps as I should be.

TonySal likes this.
  4. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    We're all still learning. A lot of the oddities and mysteries we endlessly ponder have no rhyme or reason. Did they have a few boxes of the 509 left after a major order or were the merchant returns buffed and sold as seconds? HUGE problem with Sears no questions asked warranty. Huger with Walmart's. What do you do with a two gross shipment of returns? Value added processing or liquidate for essentially material costs of the product you had to produce to ship the replacements?

TonySal likes this.