Is this the world s fastest folder?

I once had an idea for a mechanism that was essentially like a Camillus cuda that would open the blade and unlock it and I think it would be much better than this, but all I've got is a drawing somewhere and don't care enough to actually want something new produced when I personally feel that a certain knife which debuted in 1964 was the last innovation that really matters ;)

I would one day like to make a " functional model from aluminum or styrene or something just to see if the idea could actually work.

What happens when your hand rides up and comes into contact with the lock release? Assuming that you had elephant leather for hands and that handle wouldn't destroy them, the lock design seems.to guarantee the loss of digits in hard use.

What happens when your hand rides up and comes into contact with the lock release? Assuming that you had elephant leather for hands and that handle wouldn't destroy them, the lock design seems.to guarantee the loss of digits in hard use.
First thing I thought.

First thing I thought.

What is it with all this negativity? I mean, just because there is a big lever poking out of the back of the handle right where you'd grip when cutting hard doesn't mean . . . wait, you're right, that will totally end up closing on you in use. Carry on.

Three holes in the blade ? Three big holes ? Come on... Cool toy, not a knife.

Somehow you have confused speed with appearance. Boss, those are two different knife traits. Automatic knives are definitely not toys, and definitely faster than an non-automatic folding knife.

I like my Spyderco Citadel, a great automatic knife.

Here is a an automatic knife designed for use by the Coast Guard.

Last edited:
Two different knife traits indeed, but without an efficient/practical blade there is not much knife left, isn't it ? I didn't question the speed, nor did I question the automatic function. My gripe is the heavily perforated blade which limits the usefulness of the knife (unless you like to do more cleaning than cutting). Which leaves us with a nice fidget toy. Wait, wait, no... This is a fast deploying cheese knife : the High Speed Cheese Sampler.

I suggest you give it a try before you criticize it. You might be pleasantly surprised at what a great cutter it is. If you understand the theory behind automatic knives you would understand the engineering reason for putting holes in the blade. It is not just for aesthetics.

Last edited:
No faster than an unassisted AXIS.

No, any automatic is way faster than this folder by at least a factor of 10X.

D/A OTFs can be fast, but are far from easy, particularly if you haven't spent the last several months building up the strength to overcome the springs. Less of an issue with some, but others (like a Scarab or Makora) are extremely stiff. Hell, John Wick needs 2 hands to retract the blade on a Makora. One thing about autos, regardless of mechanism, is that they require a very specific grip to actuate. An unassisted AXIS can be flipped open from many different angles/grips without needing to manipulate the lock.

A waved assisted knife sounds like a very good way to stab yourself in the thigh.

Planterez -

I thought this thread discussion was about the quickness or speed of blade deployment. It seems you are now changing the topic to other knife traits. One really can't generalize about the speed of automatic or non-automatic knives by comparing just a couple of different models in each category. You have to analyze the entire universe of both types of knives before coming to a conclusion as to which version of knife is faster opening, IMHO.

Back