Is your Spyderco knife stamped "Seki-City, Japan" ??

map.jpg

Hi,
is your knife stamped "SEKI-CITY, JAPAN ?

I have Spydercos stamped "Seki-City,Japan" and i dont know, exactly where in Japan this city is ...and some next infos....
SO.. i start search some infos... and i think, maybe for next "SpydercoBladeFans" will be interesting also ... :)
...................................................................................................

Seki City was established as 'Mino No Seki-sho' (the check point of Mino), at the mid-point of Japan's eastern and western cultures. In the Kamakura-era, the superb swordsman Motoshige came to this region to live, and since then our history of knife craft has begun to achieve what is now today's excellence. As the 21st century approaches, our lives and environment continue to change as a result of developments in the multimedia industry, internationalization, and the escalation of an aging society. Standing back at the starting point, it is now our task to make a clear vision of what our city should become. Seki City has settled a basic policy, the 'Seki 21st Century Vision,' to make our regional community better in moving toward the 21st Century. Moving forward, I will do my best to build up 'a heart warming, energetic city engaged in cultural exchange' so that the citizens can live happily and healthfully.

An Outline of Seki
In addition to being situated roughly in the center of Gifu prefecture and the middle reaches of the Nagara River, known for its crystal-clear streams and Ukai Cormorant fishing, the city is also situated almost in the center of the Japanese archipelago. Seki is a peaceful, comfortable city surrounded by beautiful mountains. Seki City is famous for sword crafting, along with its tradition and long history, which reaches as far back as more than 700 years ago. As time passes, Seki City is expected to be more industrialized and to be a base of product distribution, as two major traffic highways will be completed in the near future.

Meaning of the City Crest
mark.jpg

The emblem was designed based on originality and the concept of improvement in moving toward the 21st Century. The emblem is designed from the image of a knife, and also expresses the images of communication between people, nature, and a conjunction of congested traffic.

The body expresses the character "hito (meaning human)." This represents respect for human rights, along with the purpose that citizens can gather and help each other to build up an attractive home town.
The cross point of the two knife-edges expresses the traffic conjunction point. A characteristic of this region is that the eastern and western parts of Japan meet here to exchange various forms of information, goods, culture, and humanity.
Two types of color appeal to nature's treasures and potentials.
The three knife edges represent Sanbonsugi, the Hamon edge pattern of the Japanese sword, and the Seki No-Magokoro, and it also expresses that tradition and modernism come together while continuing to move forward into the future.

Address of Town Hall
3-1 Wakakusa-dori, Seki City, Gifu Prefecture, 501-32 Japan

Population
72,125 People
21,026 Households, as of April 1, 1997

The history (about 780 years) of Seki cutlery industry dates back to the 13th century, when master swordsmith, Motoshige moved from Kyushu district to Seki and began making his swords here. He chose Seki for its rich natural as well as material conditions. Seki offered, at the top of the list, good quality iron sand, charcoal and water.

During the Muromachi Era (1338-1573), which began just a century later, there were over 300 swordsmiths working in Seki. Kanemoto Magoroku and Saburo Shizu were two of the most famous. The superior quality of Seki swords and the name of Seki were quickly recognized throughout Japan and its solid reputation as a swordmaking center was established.

Sword Making - Katana

sword_making.jpg

Even when there are two other prefectures in Japan where the art of sword making still exists today, Gifu prefecture is by far the most famous. The master swordsmith Motoshige came to Seki and established the areas reputation as a swordmaking center. During the Muromachi era (1338-1573) there were over 300 swordsmiths working in Seki. Throughout Japan the highest quality of swords were recognized as having originated in Seki. To learn this art, you need to be accepted by a master and be under his tutelage for at least two years before you can begin making a sword. Being gifted with an abundant supply of good quality tempering soil and clear water from the Nagano river, the katana (sword) trade prospered in this area since the Kamakura period. It takes at least 6 weeks to complete one single sword working 9 hours a day. The cost of a sword is $150.000. Currently, there are 18 registered sword makers in Seki being the oldest Mr. Magoroku Kaneko, 80 years old. He works with the prestigious Kanemoto brand. The present cutlery industry has developed through this traditional skill passed from generation to generation.

The techniques and skills and the ancient attitudes of traditional Japanese swordmaking has been passed down across the centuries and are still alive in today's modern cutlery industry. And Seki City remains a vibrant center of Japanese cutlery manufacture.

Seki Cutlery Association

With a proud tradition of 780 years, Seki produces all types of cutlery and edged tools from Razors, Scissors, Kitchen Knives to Sports Knives and Samurai Swords to meet with very demands for both domestic and overseas markets. There are now six separate organizations belong to the Association with about 60 members of individual knife manufacturer and related company.
Outdoor Knife Section
In 1992, twenty outdoor knife manufacturers formed an Outdoor Knife Section of the Seki Cutlery Association to promote their outdoor knife products. The group has its own "Seki Outdoor Knife Show" every October in Seki, Japan. Two years ago, this group of 20 separate knifemakers decided to work more closely together to develop and sell selected products under the brand of "Seki-Cut".

The current members are:

1) G.Sakai Folding knives, Fixed blade knives, Tools
2) Kinryu Fixed blade knives, Survival knives
3) Hiro Folding knives, Fixed blade knives
4) Hattori Fixed blade knives, Damascus blades
5) Moki Folding knives, Fixed blade knives
6) Fukuta Folding knives, Fixed blade knives
7) Seto Folding knives, Fixed blade knives
8) Suetake Folding knives
9) Ishikawa Folding knives, Fixed blade knives, Machete
10) Kikusui Divers knives, Fixed blade knives
11) Fukuyama Folding knives
12) Houwa Folding knives, Sommelier Knives
13) Sabre Folding knives
14) Ryuhei Folding knives
15) Koji Hara Handmade Custom knives
16) Taiyo Folding knives
17) Katoh Gentleman knives, Miniature knives
18) Sanetsu Professional Chef knives
19) Seki Knife Folding knives
20) Shizu Fixed blade knives, Fishing tools

G.Sakai japanese web you can find HERE

Good research Simona!

it seems they have some old models in stock for sale, but i don't speak japanese :)

Senate said:
Good research Simona!

it seems they have some old models in stock for sale, but i don't speak japanese :)

not either.. speaking japanese :)

But from interest, when i see prices there, cca 11000jpy is 100usd, if im right..
so, awesome VG-10 Civilian cost 16800jpy... 153usd
..and lol, SpyderRench is more expensive than Civilian, 17850jpy

Hi Simona
I was wondering about that myself a little bit ago.Thank you for sharing the info.I probably wouldn't have gotton around to looking it up myself.
While I'm here thank you for all the pics you post.Fantastic.
Pete

Great report Simona.

There are additional knifemakers not listed, but at one time there were a lot more knifemakers in Seki. In the past 20 years the number of makers has gone down as the old makers retired. It is a shame because the skill, once gone, takes years to revive.

I have been to the shop of Magoroku Kanemoto (at his home) and watched him work his sword making magic. A skill to be respected.

About 60% of Spyderco's knives are made in Seki by 6 different makers, some of whom we have been working with for more than 20 years.

Designs and QC are from Spyderco.

G.Sakai, one of the best makers, is also Spyderco's distributor in Japan. In an effort to best serve their customers, they make sure to have all of our items and import those that are made in Golden as well as from other Seki makers.

sal

My very first Spyderco was a Delica with VG10 Blade Steel made in Seki City Japan, it's been a really great knife.

Interesting thread resurrection. Very useful info provided above and interesting to me because I own quite a few older Spydercos stamped Seki City, Japan (or derivations thereof).

Last edited:
This Spyderco is Marked Seki-City.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ae1.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1ae1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 22
I have more 1/2 dozen Spydercos marked Seki City.

The number of knife makers in the collective is way down. I have some Bob Lum folders. He is deceased and used to design for Benchmade. HOwever, his knives are still produced by the collective. The other guy whose work appeals to me is Hattori. I have at least one of his parachutist knives. The quality of the knives is second to none in my opinion.

I've heard for years that "Seki City" is to Japan's knife industry as to what Pittsburgh PA, USA has been to the American Steel industry. Sadly though Pittsburgh PA is only a skeleton of what it used to be. I would love to visit Seki City, Japan at some point before I depart from planet earth. A lot of people just don't realize that the Japanese have been pounding out swords and knives even before Columbus supposedly found this country ( the USA). To this day Japanese swords and cutlery are still respected world wide. That is the Japanese high end, high quality knives and swords. Make no mistake the Japanese have been some of the premier metallurgists on the planet for quite some time now.

Being a huge fan of USA made items I still have a lot of respect for my Japan made Spyders and I own quite a few of them. This is most timely and most interesting that this old thread of sister Simona's was brought back up. I hope more people respond.

Back