• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Issue with member “Archer59”

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question, ok maybe two...

What caliber was the gun that was apparently put to your head forcing you to pay more than you claim the knife was worth sight unseen ?

If you wanted to see the knife before you committed to purchasing it did it occur to you to simply ask the seller to inspect it before shipping it to your friend?
Have you read all the posts completely? if you did you would understand that it was completely my choose to the overprice, from what I understand "breaking the seal" before buying is a big deal.

One question, ok maybe two...

What caliber was the gun that was apparently put to your head forcing you to pay more than you claim the knife was worth sight unseen ?

If you wanted to see the knife before you committed to purchasing it did it occur to you to simply ask the seller to inspect it before shipping it to your friend?
I clearly stated that I willingly paid the overprice, it was my choice and again, that is not the issue, as far as "breaking the seal" from What I understand that is a big deal around here before you commit to buy, sort a catch 22 right?

In that case why not send it to BM to get it right? Your going to have to send it there or to the seller. Seems like sending it to BM is the more direct route to a solution. If you send it to the seller, he still has to send it out to get fixed.
You may have a reason not to, but if you still want the knife this is a way to go.
While not a rule here-deal isn't done until both parties are happy, I do adhere to it myself and would give you your money back if another solution couldn't be reached.
Also as I stated before sending to BM is not the issue, If I don't want to pay customs again on the return I have to lose a day of work and go to argue my case to a customs officer, maybe talk him to sign on to BF just to prove it's then same knife and customs was paid, economically it's not worth my time.

I clearly stated that I willingly paid the overprice, it was my choice and again, that is not the issue, as far as "breaking the seal" from What I understand that is a big deal around here before you commit to buy, sort a catch 22 right?

No, that is not the norm. This is the first time I've seen this type of situation where a knife (not including a clam shell package) had any type of seal from the factory, which then remained intact when sold on the secondary market.

Most here would open that sucker up to make sure it's the correct knife and in good shape. If it goes right back in the box, it can still be labeled the coveted BNIB.

Reminds me of the time i bought a aftermarket used shifter on ebay that was actually stock and had a branded lever of the shifter i wanted.
I sent a message but made the mistake of starting it with " Not sure what you're trying to pull here ..."
He got mad that i was accusing him of fraud when he apparently just didn't know what the difference between a shifter lever and the actual shifter thats connected to the transmission.. but i got my refund.

I would try to overlook the emotional responses and think the seller taking it back and issuing a refund would be best.
Likely not out much since he didn't have to ship internationally, but has to deal with a warranty repair.. like he would have if he had opened the box originally.

I don't think 'sealed in box' carries any additional value with knifes but i probably wouldn't have thought less of a knife 'sealed in box' until reading this thread.

Reminds me of the time i bought a aftermarket used shifter on ebay that was actually stock and had a branded lever of the shifter i wanted.
I sent a message but made the mistake of starting it with " Not sure what you're trying to pull here ..."
He got mad that i was accusing him of fraud when he apparently just didn't know what the difference between a shifter lever and the actual shifter thats connected to the transmission.. but i got my refund.

I would try to overlook the emotional responses and think the seller taking it back and issuing a refund would be best.
Likely not out much since he didn't have to ship internationally, but has to deal with a warranty repair.. like he would have if he had opened the box originally.

I don't think 'sealed in box' carries any additional value with knifes but i probably wouldn't have thought less of a knife 'sealed in box' until reading this thread.
Yeah. The idea that not opening the box would both add value and somehow absolve the seller of responsibility is absolutely wild to me.

Seems like neither the OP or buyer really considered the possible results of their actions, resulting in this unnecessary quagmire (giggity).
Really, and exactly what "action" did I take? Call out someone privately that i think wronged me out $300, much more actually, threatened to go public?
Heck he did that all by himself, time will tell how that will work out for him.
For all those that called names over the public forum, f***king stop it right now, high school was over for some us a long time ago,

I agree. Yet at the same time, and if you've been here or around knives long enough, you will eventually see that even the best of knife manufacturers are not perfect and put out a lemon here and there.

If you willingly agreed to the price it wasn't an "overprice" and you shouldn't also be claiming that the knife was only worth $220-250 USD as you did ONLY AFTER YOU RECEIVED IT. It became an issue because you included it in your complaint against the seller after the fact.

You haven't read Catch 22 or you wouldn't try to make that analogy. If you were concerned about not getting what you paid for as you obviously were then you had the option of asking for an inspection prior to purchasing. The buyer could have refused and then you could have made a more educated decision. You chose not to do so. Apparently you were willing to take a chance on buying something sight unseen at what you now claim was an "overprice" and when things didn't go your way you called the seller a liar even though you provided not a shred of evidence that he did anything dishonest or misstated the facts of the deal in any way.

Tossing in your tale of woe about customs and wasting your time is just another example of using things you already knew about and trying to use them to somehow blame the seller for your actions and the ramifications of buying something sight unseen and having it privately shipped to you by a third party AFTER the seller apparently made delivery to a U.S. buyer a condition of the sale according to his posts here.

Presumably you're a mature adult capable of making rational decisions, when you decided to make this deal KNOWING all of the reasons why it should have been more carefully considered your response when things went bad was to accuse the seller of dishonesty.

Really, and exactly what "action" did I take? Call out someone privately that i think wronged me out $300, much more actually, threatened to go public?
Heck he did that all by himself, time will tell how that will work out for him.
For all those that called names over the public forum, f***king stop it right now, high school was over for some us a long time ago,

The action you took was committing to buy a knife sight unseen to either you or the seller. As stated by others, sealed in the box holds no extra value potential in the knife world. I can't say whether or not the seller in question here would have opened to verify its condition for you had you asked, but I would have had no problem with that nor would practically anyone I've come across or dealt with had a problem with that.

If you willingly agreed to the price it wasn't an "overprice" and you shouldn't also be claiming that the knife was only worth $220-250 USD as you did ONLY AFTER YOU RECEIVED IT. It became an issue because you included it in your complaint against the seller after the fact.

You haven't read Catch 22 or you wouldn't try to make that analogy. If you were concerned about not getting what you paid for as you obviously were then you had the option of asking for an inspection prior to purchasing. The buyer could have refused and then you could have made a more educated decision. You chose not to do so. Apparently you were willing to take a chance on buying something sight unseen at what you now claim was an "overprice" and when things didn't go your way you called the seller a liar even though you provided not a shred of evidence that he did anything dishonest or misstated the facts of the deal in any way.

Tossing in your tale of woe about customs and wasting your time is just another example of using things you already knew about and trying to use them to somehow blame the seller for your actions and the ramifications of buying something sight unseen and having it privately shipped to you by a third party AFTER the seller apparently made delivery to a U.S. buyer a condition of the sale according to his posts here.

Presumably you're a mature adult capable of making rational decisions, when you decided to make this deal KNOWING all of the reasons why it should have been more carefully considered your response when things went bad was to accuse the seller of dishonesty.

"Tales of woe"? seriously
I chose all those things, so what? getting a defective knife makes it okay? they are non relevant facts, there are actual other people than yourself that came up with viable solutions, at least I can do is answer them with my my consideration.
If you read the posts instead of bieng condescending you would've understood that, I am stating facts, from customs to paying overprice, non of the above has any relevance that the seller sold me something defective knife for a full price and not taking responsibility, his little ego was hurt when I called him out, again, privately not wishing any blowback regardless of my chose of words.
I read Catch 22 a very long time ago, I know exactly what I meant.

I would have absolutely opened the box upon request and taken any amount of additional pictures etc.

Had the issue been discovered through that course of action, it would have been a non issue.

But that’s not what happened. The buyer is attempting to place all of his assumed risk and additional cost on me, despite the fact he received exactly what he paid for.

Would you accept that knife as brand new in box if you recieved it?

Actually upon reading your question again; yes, I would.

And if I was dumb enough to commit to buying a pig in a poke, I wouldn't call the seller a liar if he hadn't misrepresented the item in question.

Now having said that, if this sort of thing happened to me I would have tried a much more diplomatic approach to try and reach an equitable resolution keeping in mind that unless I could prove the seller lied to me it wasn't his responsibility to make me whole given the ludicrous situation that I put myself in.

So if you bought it from a retailer instead, you'd be fine with receiving that?

Different scenario. If the item was defective upon receipt I'd return it as retailers are obligated to be responsible for the delivery of and the quality of the goods they sell by law.

And again, if this sort of thing ever did happen I'd avoid calling anyone a liar without evidence if I wanted a positive result, something the buyer in this case chose not to do.

Actually upon reading your question again; yes, I would.

And if I was dumb enough to commit to buying a pig in a poke, I wouldn't call the seller a liar if he hadn't misrepresented the item in question.

Now having said that, if this sort of thing happened to me I would have tried a much more diplomatic approach to try and reach an equitable resolution keeping in mind that unless I could prove the seller lied to me it wasn't his responsibility to make me whole given the ludicrous situation that I put myself in.
In that case, I have some things I'm selling. Any interest in a bridge in California?

Different scenario. If the item was defective upon receipt I'd return it as retailers are obligated to be responsible for the delivery of and the quality of the goods they sell by law.

And again, if this sort of thing ever did happen I'd avoid calling anyone a liar without evidence if I wanted a positive result, something the buyer in this case chose not to do.
Yup, the buyer was a jerk, but nothing changes the fact that the seller failed to disclose a major defect in the knife.

Also, people keep insisting this is different. How? How is this in any way different from buying a knife sight unseen from a retailer? Explain it to me, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back