• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Issue with member “Archer59”

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been an interesting one. Seems to me that the opposing points of view are both eminently reasonable. As neither party seems open to a mutually acceptable compromise, I say let PayPal sort it out.

B BM-EDC If you'll humor me, I have a hypothetical question that I hope will illustrate my point a little better.

If Benchmade screwed up in a different manner and accidentally put a basic Griptillian in the box instead of what is labeled, would you hold the same position you do now in this instance?

I would have been more than happy to come to a reasonable solution with the buyer had he not initiated the conversation by calling me names, accusing me of fraud, lying and threatening me. I have serious reservations providing my address to someone who acted the way Archer59 did. That sort of behavior makes me seriously doubt anything he says.

I see your guys point of view saying I should have inspected it, if for anything to avoid this kind of junk.

By agreeing to the terms knowing full well what he was buying he assumed all risk at that point. It should be between him and Benchmade at this point in my opinion.

This has been an interesting one. Seems to me that the opposing points of view are both eminently reasonable. As neither party seems open to a mutually acceptable compromise, I say let PayPal sort it out.

Indeed.

I would say to split the cost to send to Benchmade for a fixxer up and use a PayPal decider as a last resort.

I would have been more than happy to come to a reasonable solution with the buyer had he not initiated the conversation by calling me names, accusing me of fraud, lying and threatening me. I have serious reservations providing my address to someone who acted the way Archer59 did. That sort of behavior makes me seriously doubt anything he says.

I see your guys point of view saying I should have inspected it, if for anything to avoid this kind of junk.

By agreeing to the terms knowing full well what he was buying he assumed all risk at that point. It should be between him and Benchmade at this point in my opinion.
To say that I think the buyer handled it poorly is an understatement. The threats and accusations were unnecessary and unhelpful. But, as I've said, I don't think deferring to look at the item in any way absolves you of providing a solid product without defects.

Because you could return it to SMKW for a full refund, something that you're vehemently denying the buyer.

Indeed.

I would say to split the cost to send to Benchmade for a fixxer up and use a PayPal decider as a last resort.

I would not be completely opposed to your first suggestion.

I would have been willing to accept a return and refunded him. But unless he was able to decipher my chicken scratch return address, I’m not comfortable sending my address to someone so seemingly unstable and unhinged.

I would have been willing to accept a return and refunded him. But unless he was able to decipher my chicken scratch return address, I’m not comfortable sending my address to someone so seemingly unstable and unhinged.
Two people need to grow up and start acting like gentlemen

Perhaps nitpicking here, but really? Ugh. Type it up or buy some damn labels. I say this as someone who has trouble reading my own writing.

Now I don't think that you have any malicious intent and the following is by no means intended as a put down, but IMO your words and actions don't really inspire much confidence that you'll give the level of care in getting a buyer their item as most here would for others.

Rejoice! For it's far from the end of the world!. The GBU is a great learning tool for buyers, sellers, and the peanut gallery alike.

Meh, I hand write labels. I don’t own a computer. I don’t have time to go to the library and print labels. Never had an issue with a package making it where I sent it. I do package things well with plenty of padding, and lots of tape. None of that is relevant here but whatever.

Yeah, most likely. Just saying I have reservations after I was threatened. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Chicken scratch return address is no way to package an item IMO. They do sometimes return. I prefer to print mine since my handwriting is so bad, but can write a legible one if needed.
Not sure what your worries are in providing an address. He doesn't have time to deal with customs or send it to BM-doubt he is going to bother you in any way, since you are complying with what he wants. He likely can get it from PP anyway if needed.

A Archer59 , a sincere apology (sent privately) would go a long way toward patching this mess up.

I am willing to refund you $300, PayPal goods and services if you ship the knife back to me.

Send the knife as it was sent to you, with the extra pocket clip I included, along with the Benchmade blue box kit.

I will refund you the money in a reasonable amount of time upon receipt of the knife and associated items. Should be within 24 hours of taking delivery.

I refuse to pay for any of your additional costs incurred getting the knife to you, or getting it back to the US.

These are the only terms I will agree to and believe this is reasonable, and more than fair.

I know you have my address since I emailed you a picture of the package with the label ready to be sent out. Just saw that in our prior emails.

Last edited:
In all my local USPS offices, you can have the labels printed out for you filled out. It also helps to have friends with excellent handwriting ;)

This was an interesting read, and one full of unnecessariness. It was unnecessary for OP to send the knife out without inspection, unnecessary for the buyer to threaten OP. Common decency and good manners go a long way. Good to see the buyer is offering resolution, seeing as how it was done through a proxy without informing the buyer I'd say the seller is lucky to be offered anything.

This is the trickiest one I've read, and certainly some lessons to be learned.

I also think the middle man could have performed an inspection to at least mitigate some risk before it became quite the poop storm that this currently is. I understand the selling it in an unopened box, just like you assume what's in the unopened box is acceptable.

This kind of reminds me of a scenario when a product is used the first time and it breaks, was it faulty or was it misused? Who's at fault? It's a bit tricky and an unfortunate risk of selling.

The difference from the hypothetical, though, and this one is that there are a few things that could have been done to completely prevent this bad interaction. Hindsight is 20/20, I suppose.

Good luck guys, I don't envy either of you as I see both sides of this and besides the insults, I really don't think either of you are wrong but I don't think one of you is right either, IMO.

Yes, tale of woe is a good description of how you chose to respond. You waited until after you received the knife to complain about the cost being too high, that you'd have to waste your valuable time arguing with a customs agent about paying duty if you chose to send the knife in question in for repair, you called the seller a liar with no evidence and you seem to think that claiming to have been in the military once upon a time had some sort of relevance to buying a knife from a private party in another country. Calling it a tale of woe was me being polite.

As far as your having read Catch 22, you may well have and you may well think that what you described was an accurate example of what Joseph Heller meant but you'd be wrong. What you meant and what Heller meant have nothing to do with one another.

P.S. Do a little reading on the topic of "rhetoric" especially the method described as "throwing sand in the bulls eyes". You might find some relevance.

Of course it has no relevance, but I thought to mention it anyway, I know Americans love those kind of anecdotes, but it does'nt make it untrue.

I'm Israeli, the military is a very real and bitter part of life for every adult male here and I truly and sincerely have the highest respect for American servicemen of which I had the pleasure to serve with on occasion over the years.

I don't give shit about rhetoric, being well read and I am also still being polite and as far as throwing sand , pounding sand or any kind of sand you're invited to the BM forums to find out if that's really what I do, more than a few people will vouch for me.

Now that we got that out of the way, Robert (bm-edc) came up with a solution, we are making headway, I'll consider the options, throw in my considerations and terms and we will be in touch through private mail only, I think we are past the insult and accusations stage.

Last edited:
Of course it has no relevance, but I thought to mention it anyway, I know Americans love those kind of anecdotes, but it does'nt make it untrue.

I'm Israeli, the military is a very real and bitter part of life for every adult male here and I truly and sincerely have the highest respect for American servicemen of which I had the pleasure to serve with on occasion over the years.

I don't give shit about rhetoric, being well read and I am also still being polite and as far as throwing sand , pounding sand or any kind of sand you're invited to the BM forums to find out if that's really what I do, more than a few people will vouch for me.

Now that we got that out of the way, Robert (bm-edc) came up with a solution, we are making headway, I'll consider the options, throw in my considerations and terms and we will be in touch through private mail only, I think we are past the insult and accusations stage.
Glad to hear that you want to resolve this.

Thank you for your service.

Now quit screwing around and do your part to make this right.

You have been offered a fair solution, so will you take advantage of it?

Last edited:
Not much to add to what has already been said, other than to mention the old saying, don’t buy (and in this case don’t sell either) a pig in a poke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back