Photos It followed me home! :D :D

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
Picked up an old wood lathe for free today. It was sitting neglected in the yard of one of my mom's neighbors. All I know is it's a 36" Wood lathe and that it's old. A machinist friend looked it over and was impressed with my find. He checked all the mechanical parts and everything works. We spun the motor and it spins, but the power switch needs to be rewired or replaced so that wasn't tested. Thinking I'll clean it up, repair/replace a few modified parts and make some things off it this summer.

Anyone on her turn wood? Do you recognize this lathe? Next time I run to my mom's house I'll see if I can find a way to ID it. Right now I'm happy I scored a lathe for such a good price. "Haul it off and it's yours".

lathe_01_resize.jpg lathe_02_resize.jpg

It looks good to me and even if the motors no good, not tough to find another.
Sounds a bit like Ndog's dumpster diving. Good find and excellent price.
You will be amazed how big a mess you can make with one of those things.

It looks good to me and even if the motors no good, not tough to find another.
Sounds a bit like Ndog's dumpster diving. Good find and excellent price.
You will be amazed how big a mess you can make with one of those things.
Thanks! I've been watching some wood turning videos and noticed that they can make quite the mess.

Friday I'm heading to a large Wood Turning stores store front in Provo, UT. Got quite the shopping list of stuff to buy to make some pens and other projects. A week after that, a friend should be bringing his Mini Lathe over to instruct me and have dinner. Figure to learn on his little one while we are restoring my big one. Been telling my brother about my wood working and turning plans. He's been asking what I'd like for Christmas and my birthday. This has made it easy for him. I just send him a list and he picks what he wants to get me from that list. He he he.

Time to shower, clean the house, then get some Leather work done. Am setting up a spare room in my apartment to do Leather and wood. Got to have something to keep me busy that's not TV and Movies.

Excellent find Heber! Man id love to find an old one like that. I have a metal lathe but no wood lathe. Is that a bag of tools you got with it too? Not sure what kind it is but like Joe said its worth swapping out parts to get it running. Im going to try and set up my metal lathe to do some wood but I have to use it on the highest speed and fabricate me some kind of tool rest. Ive watched a crap load of videos on bowl turning etc but havent used one yet. Take safety seriously tho. Messing up on a lathe can really be harmful and mess you up good! Measure across the coil windings and if you get some kind of resistance then the motor is prolly good. Its likely single phase so should be an easy fix.

MY! What a great find! Looks like you've got something to look forward to. You'll have fun working it over and getting it up to snuff. I know I did. Took my thirty-six incher and stretched it out to 10 feet. (to turn porch posts) Count your blessings and enjoy!

I'm jealous. I never find good stuff like that.

The truth is, my biggest problem would be clearing enough space for the larger equipment that I would love to have.

And then after that, clearing enough time for projects to make use of that equipment.

Excellent find Heber! Man id love to find an old one like that. I have a metal lathe but no wood lathe. Is that a bag of tools you got with it too? Not sure what kind it is but like Joe said its worth swapping out parts to get it running. Im going to try and set up my metal lathe to do some wood but I have to use it on the highest speed and fabricate me some kind of tool rest. Ive watched a crap load of videos on bowl turning etc but havent used one yet. Take safety seriously tho. Messing up on a lathe can really be harmful and mess you up good! Measure across the coil windings and if you get some kind of resistance then the motor is prolly good. Its likely single phase so should be an easy fix.

Thanks! Yes, it came with a leather apron/tool holder and some tools. Safety is paramount. That's one of the big reasons why I'm having my Machinist friend teach me. I want to be safe as I learn and use this new tool.

MY! What a great find! Looks like you've got something to look forward to. You'll have fun working it over and getting it up to snuff. I know I did. Took my thirty-six incher and stretched it out to 10 feet. (to turn porch posts) Count your blessings and enjoy!

Stretched it to 10 feet, wow!! Thanks. I'll post pictures as this project progresses. Right now I'm spending my weekends dealing with some family issues and fixing my car. Hope to have the car sorted out before I head to my brothers Monday.

I'm jealous. I never find good stuff like that.

The truth is, my biggest problem would be clearing enough space for the larger equipment that I would love to have.

And then after that, clearing enough time for projects to make use of that equipment.

I hear that! I live in a small two bedroom apartment. Am not sure if I have room for a Lathe this big. Will work on it at my mom's house and borrow my friends mini lathe. Do to the limited space, I may just have to keep this big one at Mom's house. Guess I need to get out of debt and find a bigger place. LOL!!

Just found out who made my Lathe. It's a Duro Multipurpose Lathe made by Duro Metal Company out of Chicago, IL. You can add a tool holder to turn it into a Metal Lathe, or a tool to turn it into a Disk sander. There may have been other tools you could add also. Headstock should be a #2 Morse Taper. But am not sure on the tailstock.

The Chuck is a 3 jaw chuck from Leavitt Machine co.

You did good sir! I have a JET metal lathe and from what I read many people have used it to turn wood too. In general wood turns much faster than most metals but I know mine spins pretty dang fast. I feel sure I can gear it up fast enough. Im thinking I could clamp up a bar or something for a tool rest and that would work. Have fun with that thing Heber. Keep showing off your work.

ndoghouse ndoghouse Jet Makes some good lathes! Didn't know they made Metal lathes, only knew about their Wood Lathes. Bet it's nice! You might be able to order a tool rest for your metal lathe. If not, bet you could make one off a wood lathe work.

Here's Pen #2, made from Zebrawood. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but Zebrawood has so much more depth to the color. Also, the sunset was amazing tonight!

pen2_02_resize.jpg pen2_03_resize.jpg pen2_04_resize.jpg pen2_05_resize.jpg pen2_01_resize.jpg

Pen #3 was made from a piece of Padauk wood.

Attachments

• pen3_01_resize.jpg
    pen3_01_resize.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4
  • pen3_02_resize.jpg
    pen3_02_resize.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
  • pen3_03_resize.jpg
    pen3_03_resize.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 5
  • pen3_04_resize.jpg
    pen3_04_resize.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 5
  • pen3_05_resize.jpg
    pen3_05_resize.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 4
  • pen3_06_resize.jpg
    pen3_06_resize.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 5
Yeah they make metal lathes. I didnt know they made wood lathes? They may even have a tool rest that will work?
Those are some really sweet pens man! I do love Zebra wood. I havent worked padauk but it sure it nice too. Is that a jig you use to turn the wood? Is that middle piece just a reference diameter so you know where to stop? I like the waist shape on the pens.
I feel pretty sure I can make a tool rest. I got a JET turret head milling machine too. It aint wired up yet because I only have two phases of power into the shop. That was a big mistake. I wish id have added one more wire but i was on pretty low budget at the time. Theres several ways to add a third phase. I just aint done it yet.

Wildman has sort of been mentoring me and encouraging me to take my new 20 year old unused Jet Lathe out of moth balls and do something. So I've made a few pens, it feels good to actually do something productive with it and it's fast and rewarding. Wish I'd known about this long ago.

Your right about the jig, the bushings on the end and in the middle are a reference guide, the same size as the piece of the pen kit the will be up against. So you just turn it down flush with the bushings.

Bawanna, you should post some pictures of your work. Thanks for your help and inspiration!

Yep, I turn the pens on a mandrel and the spacers are bushings to turn the wood to. Some turning kits like my Ornament kits use the same 7mm pen bushings. But other kits use different sizes.

Bought some seam ripper kits to make for gifts and to sell. Needed to buy different bushings, drill bit and other stuff. All that should be here in a few days. The start up costs can be a bit high, but once you have the basics, you can turn a bunch of stuff.

Help and inspiration, this is your deal wildmanh, your the one that instigated it for me. Glad you did though. I like doing them.
Here's my first, I was in a hurry, it was cold, just not a great environment but I wanted to get one done.

#2 turned out much nicer and I kind of shaped it like one a coworker got me years ago.

#3 is best so far, wife grabbed onto it the minute she saw it.
DSCN7695.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Got a couple more ready to spin, need to sort through the wood pile and use up some of the stuff too small for other stuff. Grips and such.

Marine son and wife wanted to make a pen so I rolled them through the process.
Son made the light colored one, wife made the walnut one, mostly cause that's what I had ready to spin.
# 3 is at the top.

Wildman, email me your address. I got the table saw unburied this morning so I ripped you some pen stock. Ripped a few sticks for myself too. Cut much better than I expected.

Some Bubinga, Wenge, Figured Hickory and several sticks of Zebra.
Probably 12 - 14" a stick so should make a pile of pens or whatever.

Gosh durn it, I ripped some Leopard Wood too but left it on the saw, just found it.
Now I gotta open the gall durn box and squeeze a couple more sticks in there. Got distracted, grand kids arrived for the usual Tuesday afternoon with Tata and Grams.

Bawanna Bawanna Those are some good looking pens and blanks! I emailed you my address, thanks a bunch! I'll send you some wood, once I get some more.

Back