Photos It followed me home! :D :D

Nice work Bawanna! Those look great! You ought to checker one! Ha! Prolly to small eh? Can you cut stabilized wood? I would imagine so but never tried it? Im thinking it would turn like delrin? Do either of you have a pic of the naked pen without the wood? Im curious what a kit looks like.

I'll try to take one. You can just google pen turning and there's lots of video's.
It's surprisingly easy. Shop around and I think I found a 10 pack of kits that are cheaper than buying just an ink refill.
I got 3 all ready to spin but spent the day in the hospital waiting room. Wife had her hand wrist worked on. 10:30 check in for a 45 minute procedure and we got home after 4. Nothing happens fast in a hospital. Not sure why I'm exhausted just sitting watching the world go by.
Wildman, didn't get the wood mailed today, maybe tomorrow, I hope.

I got a wood stabilizing set up for Christmas, haven't totally figured it out yet.
I've used a lot of stabilized wood that a guy does. It works great, checkers very nice and cuts clean.
I imagine it would turn great.
I'm told it's all in the recipe though, I do know that not all stabilized wood is equal. Some is very brittle.
The one guy I use mostly apparently has it figured out. Shame its so bloody expensive.

Nice work Bawanna! Those look great! You ought to checker one! Ha! Prolly to small eh? Can you cut stabilized wood? I would imagine so but never tried it? Im thinking it would turn like delrin? Do either of you have a pic of the naked pen without the wood? Im curious what a kit looks like.

I have one more Pen and one more Pencil kit in the house. Will try to get you a picture tomorrow. Am heading to work in a few minutes. Yes, you can cut stabilized wood. They use a Glue or Acrylic to stabilize it.

I'll try to take one. You can just google pen turning and there's lots of video's.
It's surprisingly easy. Shop around and I think I found a 10 pack of kits that are cheaper than buying just an ink refill.
I got 3 all ready to spin but spent the day in the hospital waiting room. Wife had her hand wrist worked on. 10:30 check in for a 45 minute procedure and we got home after 4. Nothing happens fast in a hospital. Not sure why I'm exhausted just sitting watching the world go by.
Wildman, didn't get the wood mailed today, maybe tomorrow, I hope.

Turning pens sure is easy, and fun! You just need a steady hand and some patience. The tool rest sure helps. Along with Pen and Pencil kits, I have some Christmas Ornament kits, and Seam ripper kits to turn. Am just waiting on the last tool to show up in the mail. Hope yo have a bunch of pictures to share this weekend.

No worries on the box. Family comes first! How's your wife doing today? Got some cool looking oak today from my mom. Guess one of her neighbors does some wood work and they gave her scraps for her fire place. A handful looked perfect for Ornaments or pens so I snagged some. Do you want some Oak or Black Walnut? I can send you some of either.

I haven't looked at the pencil sets, I'll probably have to try them too. Are they about the same process or harder?
I'm probably ok for awhile on wood. Don't throw none of that Walnut away, that's generally pretty nice stuff, maybe use some after a bit.
I gotta go back to work one of these days, might take one more day tomorrow.
Wife is kind of challenged with a wounded wing. She bounces back fast though. Guess you dont appreciate your hands till one is on the injured reserve list.

I haven't looked at the pencil sets, I'll probably have to try them too. Are they about the same process or harder?
I'm probably ok for awhile on wood. Don't throw none of that Walnut away, that's generally pretty nice stuff, maybe use some after a bit.
I gotta go back to work one of these days, might take one more day tomorrow.
Wife is kind of challenged with a wounded wing. She bounces back fast though. Guess you dont appreciate your hands till one is on the injured reserve list.

The pencils are just as easy as the pens to make. They assemble a little differently, but are still super easy to do. . . I went with the same series 7mm Slim line pens and pencils. Figure I'll buy a bunch more next weekend.

The cross type pen refills are only $0.79 cents each at the local turning store. The local store has a good selection and good prices. Think I'll also try other pen styles too in the future.

Spun up a couple more pens. This is a blast and I could just set home and do these full time. Kind of fun playing with different woods, kind of like a box of chocolate, never know what your gonna get.
First one I call my stealth pen, officers at work I think will love it. Great for taking notes during a situation at night so the bad guy don't see the reflection of your pen. (yeah right)
It's Wenge wood and turned better than I expected, pretty tight grain, nice smooth finish. Kind of hard to catch the grain with the camera.

The gold appointed one is made with Leopard wood. It spun OK, the grain is a bit loose. I'll probably just get close next time and get down to finish size with sand paper or something to try not to tear up the grain. It's smooth but there are some tiny voids. Looking at it again now, it's not bad at all, it will pass muster.

Stayed home one more day to help the wife. She's doing ok as I expected. Hate to go back to work for 1 day but a 1 day work week is something I've always dreamed of. Guess a lot of folks are out sick so guess I'll go in and act like I care.

Probably done for today on the lathe but think I'll spin up a few and send them to Yangdu, she sends me stuff, maybe she can use some of these and be a very tiny bit of pay back.
I'll put on my A game so they turn out real nice.

Some more nice pens Bawanna Bawanna ! Glad your wife is doing better. Working 1 day a week sounds lovely! I'd love to have a shorter work week so I could do wood and leather work more. he he.

My night job changed my schedule tonight. Instead of going in at 9 pm, I go in at 6 pm. No turning projects today. Got to get dressed, bake cookies, clean and get to work.

This weekend though, look out! I should have a bunch of stuff to show.

Nice pens yall! I like that leopard wood. Ive never heard of it before. Wenge is cool looking too but never had a chance to work it.

Spun up a couple more pens. This is a blast and I could just set home and do these full time. Kind of fun playing with different woods, kind of like a box of chocolate, never know what your gonna get.
First one I call my stealth pen, officers at work I think will love it. Great for taking notes during a situation at night so the bad guy don't see the reflection of your pen. (yeah right)
It's Wenge wood and turned better than I expected, pretty tight grain, nice smooth finish. Kind of hard to catch the grain with the camera.

The gold appointed one is made with Leopard wood. It spun OK, the grain is a bit loose. I'll probably just get close next time and get down to finish size with sand paper or something to try not to tear up the grain. It's smooth but there are some tiny voids. Looking at it again now, it's not bad at all, it will pass muster.

Stayed home one more day to help the wife. She's doing ok as I expected. Hate to go back to work for 1 day but a 1 day work week is something I've always dreamed of. Guess a lot of folks are out sick so guess I'll go in and act like I care.

Probably done for today on the lathe but think I'll spin up a few and send them to Yangdu, she sends me stuff, maybe she can use some of these and be a very tiny bit of pay back.
I'll put on my A game so they turn out real nice.
That Stealth Pen is very Tacticool :cool::thumbsup:. As a matter of fact they are all very cool indeed sir, Beautiful work.

Turned 3 more projects today. Christmas Tree ornament out of Oak, a pencil out of Zebrawood, and a pen out of Sapele. This makes a total of 8 projects that I've completed this month. Am out of Pen and Pencil kits, will need to get more. Still have a few more kits of other styles though to keep me busy.

Here they are. #1, Pen in Walnut. #2, Pencil in Walnut. #3, Firesteel handle out of Black Walnut. #4 Pen out of Zebrawood. #5, Pen in Padauk. #6, Oak Christmas Tree ornament. #7, Pencil in Zebrawood. #8 Pen in Sapele.

first8_01_resize.jpg first8_02_resize.jpg first8_03_resize.jpg first8_04_resize.jpg first8_05_resize.jpg first8_06_resize.jpg

A friend brought over his 9" Band saw, showed me how to use and adjust it. Now I can cut larger chunks of wood into project blanks. Got a Black Walnut pen blank ready to go, once I have more Pen kits to turn. He he he. Hope you guys like what you see. I may turn another ornament or a Seam ripper tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Here are some better shots of the Oak Ornament. The Oak was hard to cut to size by hand, but turned nicely. May end up adding a little paint to this ornament to give it more zing. What do you guys think?

ornament1_01_resize.jpg

ornament1_02_resize.jpg ornament1_03_resize.jpg

Zebra wood set is way Khul! Great work Heber. The Christmas ornament looks like it would make a good plumb bob too!

Back