It followed me home (Part 2)

...It was my Grandpa's axe...

vyixjSx.jpg

Was your Grandfather's nickname "Poco"?
Or maybe that's the axe's name.
(The punch marks seem to spell something.)

I picked up a lot on ebay for around 58$. I came with these:

2 Plumbs - 1ea 3# double bit and 1ea 4# single bit
1 3.5# JB Stohler
2 Craftsman - 1ea 4# double bit and a 3.5# single bit
An unknown Broad axe

and then an Unknown Double bit my Brother in Law found buried in the yard in the middle of no mans land....

I hung the Craftsman and the unknown double bits last week.

And with my beater, crap Husky 3.5....

That Stohler is awesome. Anybody have an idea on the age? It looks to be in great condition.

Picked up this Plumb BSA hatchet a few weeks ago for $2. The handle was very wobbly and I was able to pull the wedge out easily with pliers. Did a vinegar soak and some wire brushing on the head which then took a keen edge with a little filing then stone sharpening. Decided to try and keep the original handle so I sanded it then soaked in BLO overnight, which did it a world of good. Rehafted it and I'm pretty content with the results.

Dunno why the edge looks all chalky in the pic... I'm not a very good photographer.

Guess I should have posted this in the "what did you rehaft today" thread... Move it?

Last edited:
That Stohler is awesome. Anybody have an idea on the age? It looks to be in great condition.

I'm sure it was forged in the late 1800's. From the research provided by many here, Most of his work was done between the mid and late 1800's. Doesn't look like it got used much. Probably the best looking Stohler I've seen based on what is depicted on the net.

Here's more

I'm sure it was forged in the late 1800's. From the research provided by many here, Most of his work was done between the mid and late 1800's. Doesn't look like it got used much. Probably the best looking Stohler I've seen based on what is depicted on the net.

Here's more

That's what I was thinking judging by its form and from the previous thread. That's a nice score! It has been well cared for. I'm sure you will get years of enjoyment out of that beauty.

i just moved up to Prince George BC this week for a land survey job and i was all ready exited that i get to carry an axe all day and get a lot of use out of it and then i got even luckier and found this bulldog shovel in the bush today. i just need to get myself a good machete now.

i just moved up to Prince George BC this week for a land survey job and i was all ready exited that i get to carry an axe all day and get a lot of use out of it and then i got even luckier and found this bulldog shovel in the bush today. i just need to get myself a good machete now.

Those old split handle shovels are easy on the hands. I still have a CPR coal shovel version that my dad found in a snow bank at a rail crossing in the late 50s. Newer versions of these handles can still be had (I think) through Lee Valley Tools who market outrageous-priced 'made in England' garden shovels featuring these type of handles. Myself have been lucky and found a couple of NOS of these at a surplus store 30 years ago and squirreled them away for a rainy day and/or in the event of a broken handle. Leaving these out in the sun or under the weather is a no-no and a routine application of oil (BLO seems to be a popular choice) will extend the life of them by a goodly margin.
When I lived nearby of Prince (Fort Fraser and following year Bear Lake) there were annual beer strikes in B.C. during the summers and only a Ben Gintner product named Prince George Gold could be had during these droughts. I suspect that he gathered and bottled this stuff at a horse stable somewhere, but it did contain alcohol and didn't taste quite so bad once you'd worked your way through 1/2 dozen of them!

What's the back look like? Is it closed or open? The back will be closed on a good vintage shovel.

Those old split handle shovels are easy on the hands. I still have a CPR coal shovel version that my dad found in a snow bank at a rail crossing in the late 50s. Newer versions of these handles can still be had (I think) through Lee Valley Tools who market outrageous-priced 'made in England' garden shovels featuring these type of handles. Myself have been lucky and found a couple of NOS of these at a surplus store 30 years ago and squirreled them away for a rainy day and/or in the event of a broken handle. Leaving these out in the sun or under the weather is a no-no and a routine application of oil (BLO seems to be a popular choice) will extend the life of them by a goodly margin.
When I lived nearby of Prince (Fort Fraser and following year Bear Lake) there were annual beer strikes in B.C. during the summers and only a Ben Gintner product named Prince George Gold could be had during these droughts. I suspect that he gathered and bottled this stuff at a horse stable somewhere, but it did contain alcohol and didn't taste quite so bad once you'd worked your way through 1/2 dozen of them!

Good post!

there were annual beer strikes in B.C. during the summers and only a Ben Gintner product named Prince George Gold could be had during these droughts. I suspect that he gathered and bottled this stuff at a horse stable somewhere, but it did contain alcohol and didn't taste quite so bad once you'd worked your way through 1/2 dozen of them!

haha, nice.

its better then anything at the hardware store and it was the right price so im happy.

I found a few goodies this weekend.

72" lance tooth crosscut saw. Missing handles but minimal rust and long in the tooth.

Crosscut%20saw.jpg

1944 US Navy Collins Legitimus machete with 26" blade. Very good condition.

Legitimus%20machete%201.jpg

Legitimus%20machete%202.jpg

Hay knife.

Hay%20knife.jpg

Unknown axe and sickle.

Unknown%20axe%20%26%20sickle.jpg

Made in USA digging bar. I lost my junky import. Won't miss it now.

Digging%20bar.jpg

Best weekend I've had in a while.

Yeah, I got pretty excited when I found that one. It's hardly been used. I touched up the edge this afternoon with the new belt grinder I got from wesm (fellow Bladeforums member). I debated leaving as-is but I wanna use it.

Peg, I like your saw. It has John Sells handle hardware on it. All you need is to turn a wood handle for it.

file.php

Looks like you had a great weekend.

Tom

Back