It followed me home (Part 2)

My teenage daughter got me this Disston saw for Christmas.

z4rCOeHh.jpg

She added something special to it.

RMHqZEmh.jpg

I was able to sneak away and pick myself up a little something today that has been waiting a few weeks for my return and made a better deal for it.

36" Keystone 954

I was told it was purchased and promptly hung on the wall in the tobacco barn / farm garage where it had been walked past for the last thirty odd years.
True or not, the saw is in great shape and the price was better than fair.

20171226_161643.jpg

20171226_161617.jpg

20171226_161814.jpg

20171226_172750.jpg

1514337891734974791696.jpg

Thanks for looking

For some this may be a surplus item but living in the Midwest I have never seen one. This is one of my holy grails you could say. A TT Puget Sound 4lbs. I would still like to get one with a better stamp but the is one of the best xmas gifts ever!!! If anyone has one that they maybe want to do something with let me know!! Thanks for looking!

Yes I believe it is a Vulcan!! I was very happy with it!! I haven’t found one in about three years. I have never even found a puget Sound ever!! But I have about ten phantom beveled Kelly perfect doubles haha. Crazy how geography makes that much difference. But I would love to have a few more!!

I like that score. I have been hoping myself to come across some Simonds Files. You got maybe a mill 8" or 10"file, 4 in hand maybe and a stone, excellent!
$10 all day long :thumbsup::cool:

Definitely a good score.
My only Simonds file is on an early Gerber multiplier my dad gave me and it's a great file.

Not axe related at all, but these followed me home from my uncle's house.

The 18" RITCO is made by Ridge, and the 14" is a PROTO.

He's a plumber , and was cleaning out his old work trailer getting rid of some stuff.
He tells me he's got a pile of old pipe wrenches out back that I can pick through.
I asked if there were any RIGID'S and he told me he kept them all but that I was welcome to one if I wanted, as he figured the pile might be all junk.
I dug through the pile of about 20 and most were grey coated aluminum ones which were unmarked that I'm assuming were imports because they all got retired when their little springs kinked making them useless.
These two stood out to me as they said USA, and a quick google search revealed the RITCO to be RIDGE / RIGID product. I believe it was a homeowner line due to it's non removable static jaw.

The little one was a pleasant surprise and didn't reveal itself to be faintly stamped PROTO till I took the wire wheel to it.
I didn't have a pipe wrench yet, so now I own two that I'm better off having and never needing.

Not axe related at all, but these followed me home from my uncle's house.

The 18" RITCO is made by Ridge, and the 14" is a PROTO.

He's a plumber , and was cleaning out his old work trailer getting rid of some stuff.
He tells me he's got a pile of old pipe wrenches out back that I can pick through.
I asked if there were any RIGID'S and he told me he kept them all but that I was welcome to one if I wanted, as he figured the pile might be all junk.
I dug through the pile of about 20 and most were grey coated aluminum ones which were unmarked that I'm assuming were imports because they all got retired when their little springs kinked making them useless.
These two stood out to me as they said USA, and a quick google search revealed the RITCO to be RIDGE / RIGID product. I believe it was a homeowner line due to it's non removable static jaw.

The little one was a pleasant surprise and didn't reveal itself to be faintly stamped PROTO till I took the wire wheel to it.
I didn't have a pipe wrench yet, so now I own two that I'm better off having and never needing.

I have gone thru 2 - 18" and 2 - 24" grey painted aluminum home depot rigids over the past twenty years. I only have an 18" left, the last 24" I had walked off a job site never to be seen again.
The light weight convenience of humping them in and out of a job, and wrenching overhead or in tight one handed spot is why they sell.
They hold up well for awhile however they do not last when compared to an older steel.

Great pipe wrenches Hickory.
Now that you have them you will certainly find them useful from time to time on a wide range of projects and repairs in out and around the house.

I have gone thru 2 - 18" and 2 - 24" grey painted aluminum home depot rigids over the past twenty years. I only have an 18" left, the last 24" I had walked off a job site never to be seen again.
The light weight convenience of humping them in and out of a job, and wrenching overhead or in tight one handed spot is why they sell.
They hold up well for awhile however they do not last when compared to an older steel.

Great pipe wrenches Hickory.
Now that you have them you will certainly find them useful from time to time on a wide range of projects and repairs in out and around the house.

Any chance you know why they're marked 18" and 14" when they measure at 15" and 12".

Btw He'sgoing to clean out his old work trailer and convert it into a mobile concessions stand that he can run with his youngest son, and said hell save any unwanted tools that he thinks I may want. Hopefully I end up with some decent stuff, it's just too bad axes and hatchets aren't a tool you'd find in a plumbers arsenal.

Last edited:
Any chance you know why they're marked 18" and 14" when they measure at 15" and 12".

Btw He'sgoing to clean out his old work trailer and convert it into a mobile concessions stand that he can run with his youngest son, and said hell save any unwanted tools that he thinks I may want. Hopefully I end up with some decent stuff, it's just too bad axes and hatchets aren't a tool you'd find in a plumbers arsenal.

Thats a good question, something i didnt give much thought to. I always just thought it was jaw extension or handle only length and never thought much past that.
I do know i always had the feeling it was like the 2X6 board measurements or McDonald's straw. Charge you the same for a smaller, shorter, thinner product.

I have been thinking this morning on this and I will probably measure up the dozen+ pipe wrenches i have, young and old, to see what variences there may be and if the older examples are more accurately measured.

AFAIK pipe wrenches (Stillson patent type) are measured by the handle length. I have not been able to find out exactly why. I do know that the handle length is a fixed part of the wrench and that the top of the handle (top of bottom jaw) is the pivot point for the torque applied by the handle.

Charge you the same for a smaller, shorter, thinner product.
I have never compared the bf cost, for example, of a 4/4 board four inches wide just out of the log to a nominal 2 x 4 of the same species that has been dried and milled to 3 1/2 x 1 1/2.

History:
"Early standards called for green rough lumber to be of full nominal dimension when dry. However, the dimensions have diminished over time. In 1910, a typical finished 1-inch (25 mm) board was 13⁄16 in (21 mm). In 1928, that was reduced by 4%, and yet again by 4% in 1956. In 1961, at a meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona, the Committee on Grade Simplification and Standardization agreed to what is now the current U.S. standard: in part, the dressed size of a 1-inch (nominal) board was fixed at 3⁄4 inch; while the dressed size of 2 inch (nominal) lumber was reducedfrom 1 5⁄8 inch to the current 1 1⁄2 inch."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumber

Also two-by-fours are marked 2 x 4 (not 2" x 4").

Bob

Back