It followed me home (Part 2)

You can see hammer marks around the bevels on the sides of the bit. I think it’s hand forged. Would I be right in this assumption?

Brian,"hand forged" can be a tricky definition....

Lately,by a general ,but rather unofficial consensus,it can have involved the use of some rather heavy and complex machinery,as long as the forging was held,and manipulated inside these machines by a living person....

That axe has grind-marks from an abrasive over all the visible surfaces,including those bevels.It was Definitely forged,prior to this grinding.Probably by hand.After,it was ground all over,chances are-also by hand.(In a sit-down rig that one sees in that "Pioneer axe" video,or the like).

(that's the best i can figure the events...i may as always be mistaken in some detail...American manufacture of tools was intense,and complex,and often took some interesting turns...)

It could have started with a pre-form shaped like this.
Adze%20pre-form-1.jpg

The inner dashed lines represent the poll. The lugs are drawn up as you suggest. The outer dashed lines indicate the start of forge welded section. After welding this section would be drawn out flat.

I have to preface this by admitting that I'm not familiar with early forging work. I don't doubt there's a simpler way than I just described. I'd like to hear more about the way you think this was created.

IMG_20180309_232048 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180309_232040 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180309_232055 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180309_232105 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr
IMG_20180309_232059 by Justin Lyttle, on Flickr

$35 at a garage sale today. The gentlemen said he picked the up “back east” I believe he said New Hampshire. I was pretty excited !!

Mast axe.. is that a pattern or it was used for making masts for ships?

It's a pattern that was used for hewing masts for ships as well as other tasks. Because it's double beveled you could fell, juggle and hew your mast with this single axe, though it usually would have been used in conjunction with other axes.

The handle was typically upturned to get your hands away from the work and prevent 'barking your knuckles'.

1.JPG

Masting%20axe.jpg

It's a pattern that was used for hewing masts for ships as well as other tasks. Because it's double beveled you could fell, juggle and hew your mast with this single axe, though it usually would have been used in conjunction with other axes.

The handle was typically upturned to get your hands away from the work and prevent 'barking your knuckles'.

1.JPG

Masting%20axe.jpg
i heard somewhere that it was double beveled so that, in a pinch you could make a new mast but that's not very realistic

Oh,wow,JB,that is a pretty iconic shape for Norse tools...Not something seen all that often.

http://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/using-source-norse-ship-tools.html, Plate 26,examples from the Mastermyr tool find,Copenhagen museum...

Ironically,(and in spite of what i said),eyes on those very old examples were punched.But Very traditional ...The maker most definitely had some ties to the Old Country....

Among the modern makers this style is reflected in the work of Svante Djarv,(Sweden)among others,http://www.woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/product/svante-djarv-small-adze-600g/...

But what you have there seems older...A product of some country forge in Scandinavia?Work of a descendant?...Dunno...

Last edited:
Oh,wow,JB,that is a pretty iconic shape for Norse tools...Not something seen all that often.

http://warehamforgeblog.blogspot.com/2008/07/using-source-norse-ship-tools.html, Plate 26,examples from the Mastermyr tool find,Copenhagen museum...

Ironically,(and in spite of what i said),eyes on those very old examples were punched.But Very traditional ...The maker most definitely had some ties to the Old Country....

Among the modern makers this style is reflected in the work of Svante Djarv,(Sweden)among others,http://www.woodsmithexperience.co.uk/shop/product/svante-djarv-small-adze-600g/...

But what you have there seems older...A product of some country forge in Scandinavia?Work of a descendant?...Dunno...
Who can say? It looks like it could be very old, and who knows it's journey? I bought that lot from a barn digger in RI along with several other rusty old things hidden away for decades. It was stashed with those newer (But still old) adzes so some forgotten collector/picker gathered them. I wonder what that head's story was before that? It would go way back. But with no markings and no one to ask, it's a mystery.

Work of a descendant?...

Reminds me of an article on goosewing axes that gives guidelines on how to distinguish Made-In-Europe goosewing axes from Made-In-Pennsylvania goosewing axes (made by immigrants, descendants...) Following a study with 60 specimens, some physical differences (tendencies) were noted, such as width of socket eyehold, width of poll, socket angle cant, handle curve, socket base slant, ribs, decorations and markings. I can quote from the article about these differences, if there is interest here from the goosewing axe enthusiasts.

"Pennsylvania's Goosewing Axes and Early Iron and Steel Technology,"
Frank Kosmerl, December 1, 2002
The Chronicle of the Early American Industries Association, Inc.
54:4. 135–143.
https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P3-98031699.html

You got it from a barn digger, who got it from a picker/collector; the incredible mobility of old tools too in that scene makes identifying it also not easier.
Yes. Where I am in the northeastern United States, we have the oldest parts of the country with the highest population density and the largest concentration of old industry and trade work. Although this location may be looked at with jealousy by my picker brothers from other regions :D, it does hold a huge concentration of old tools and history. Added to this is the fact that many European immigrants landed in this region first and may have brought their own historical treasures with them. We have heavy concentrations of Irish/English/Swedish/Portuguese here and I'm sure many others in smaller amounts. I'm sure that the issue of historical provenance/tool history is even more of a factor in Europe where travels and history go back so much farther.

i heard somewhere that it was double beveled so that, in a pinch you could make a new mast but that's not very realistic

Suppose your demasted schooner has been dry humping the beach for a couple weeks. You look out past the beach and see tall straight pines. Onboard you have 20 healthy young sailors who miss their girlfriends back home, a few axes, and some highly skilled riggers. What do you suppose would happen?

Found this one at the flea market this mornin! $6 can’t beat it! It’s a #3.5. Cleaned up perfect. Plenty of bit left. I’m glad someone didn’t take it to a bench grinder. The handle felt great, it’s a shame I couldn’t keep it.

You found a beauty for sure.
Can't wait to see it cleaned up.

The boys homestead I grabbed this morning has great shape left but the handle sealed the deal.:thumbsup:

Back