It followed me home (Part 2)

Definitely a great score, especially that DB can't remember what they call them when they've got a proper curved handle made for a DB.

Btw I actually can see the Disston etch on that saw in the picture, when you know what it looks like it can be easy to make out.

Thanks man! It's my first DB and I am stoked I found it treasure hunting.

I was wondering it it's an Adirondack handle?

I still have to clean it up a little to see if there is a mark and now compare the chart to see what pattern I have here.
I hope to hear back from an old welder friend of mine and see what can be done here...

20180313_202420.jpg

20180313_202437.jpg

Just a seam down the middle. No twist that I can see.
You're most probably right....
https://imgur.com/a/lFe8I
https://imgur.com/a/Nnbtb

But,working single-hand,(even my PH's down at present),i chose to do a twist...Otherwise,my weld was about to get unhappy...
https://imgur.com/a/39cSV
(it would've been possible to forge out the tell-tale traces, one would have to allow a bit of extra mass for that).
But,in all other respects,i think we read the design correctly...(i Had to try it...:))
https://imgur.com/a/Nvf3t
https://imgur.com/a/dNj3p
https://imgur.com/a/S7WSP

I still have to clean it up a little to see if there is a mark and now compare the chart to see what pattern I have here.
I hope to hear back from an old welder friend of mine and see what can be done here...

20180313_202420.jpg

20180313_202437.jpg
IMO it's a quick bevel, weld, and grind. Couldn't ask for a better location because you can't get any farther away from the heat treated edge and weld stress won't warp anything. It's basically a six pack job -- three each at a leisurely pace while you shoot the shit.

20180313_202420.jpg

20180313_202437.jpg

Yep that's it, Adirondack is what I was thinking of.

That's a curved handle that was made for a DB.

IMO it's a quick bevel, weld, and grind. Couldn't ask for a better location because you can't get any farther away from the heat treated edge and weld stress won't warp anything. It's basically a six pack job -- three each at a leisurely pace while you shoot the shit.

Thank you for that, as I don't know much at all about welding. Drinking beer, that I can handle:thumbsup:
I did notice the crack being absolutely far far away and hoped that wouldn't be an issue. I am happier even more after hearing what you've said.
Now I just need to hear back from the welder I knew a while ago and hopefully all will go probably near as you suggest.;)

Yep that's it, Adirondack is what I was thinking of.

That's a curved handle that was made for a DB.

That's what I'm talking about, Thanks Hickory n Steel.
Hopefully heading out to brush a little rust away soon, see what if any makers marks may be hidden.
The handle is still good, the head may already be down on the shoulder as far as can be, but I will check it out and see.

Last time I looked beaver tooth wanted a hundred bucks for an adirondack handle.That looks like a standard fire axe to me and if I remember right op1975 said the best Collins had marks like that one.

Last time I looked beaver tooth wanted a hundred bucks for an adirondack handle.That looks like a standard fire axe to me and if I remember right op1975 said the best Collins had marks like that one.

Thanks junkenstien, I will look back thru the Collins thread on that.
This handle is a beauty and can be used again.
Having gone to school and lived in the Adirondacks during, just makes this handle even sweeter.

No markings found yet, maybe there isn't any, on the double bit itself.

That's what I'm talking about, Thanks Hickory n Steel.
Hopefully heading out to brush a little rust away soon, see what if any makers marks may be hidden.
The handle is still good, the head may already be down on the shoulder as far as can be, but I will check it out and see.

I can’t wait to see that handle all cleaned up. From the looks of it it can be saved for sure! I have always wanted to find one of those. In the Midwest unless it is brought over from the east coast they just aren’t here!

I managed to find a few things today...even with a snowstorm that fizzled out and my boys home with no school due to the 3"noreaster...ok, maybe 4".

20180313_165558.jpg

Saw is a 60" Disston, if the picture was better you would see the etching too :)

20180313_165622.jpg

20180313_165844.jpg

20180313_165900.jpg

Legitimus...with a nasty full length, all the way thru crack...canyon really but it was the free one in the bunch :thumbsup:

20180313_165633.jpg

20180313_165643.jpg

Miller's Falls Hatchet, a gimme and always a no brainer. I am taking it home if it has my name on it:D

20180313_180633.jpg

Legitimus Pulaski Fire
CD?...I will need to look into what this is.

20180313_165649.jpg

20180313_200228.jpg

20180313_200220.jpg

And this 11" long DB, 4&1/2" at each bit, on a 25" handle
Total weight at 4&1/8 lb.

20180313_165706.jpg

20180313_165722.jpg

20180313_165712.jpg

Not bad for the kids being home on a snowday.

That is some fun stuff there! Miller, would you say the existing handle's tongue of the double bit fills the eye pretty much end to end?

Civil Defense - CD?

Y
Yup, and it looks like that eye wouldn't mind a bit of softening anyway.

That is some fun stuff there! Miller, would you say the existing handle's tongue of the double bit fills the eye pretty much end to end?

Civil Defense - CD?

Thanks it's always fun, this take was a lot of fun:thumbsup:
The tounge filled the eye end to end, I am guessing the handle got so dry the top had dry rotted a bit and i could wiggle and slide the head right off, still wedged.

Civil Defense is probably what i will find...excellent, i hadnt thought about that. :thumbsup:

20180313_202420.jpg

20180313_202437.jpg

Here is a video with what looks like the same axe with the same crack (same type).

“Vintage axe head restoration/cheap welder/Collins Legitimus pt.1”

Not the best welder but shows the right grind to make. Basic V groove bevel

I would tack the top and bottom and run a series of spot or skip welds to prevent any worpage. Even stepping away for a bit after each skip weld would be good I would think.

Made it home safe from my midnight run!

20180314_224403.jpg

20180314_224417.jpg

20180314_224411.jpg

20180314_224419.jpg

•Collins Hatchet on the handle
•Collins Brush Hook
•Sears Hatchet
•Kelly Vandium Hatchet
•Homestead with lugs
•Stanley Linesman
•2 unknown to me, possible Mann, cedar type pattern
•5&1/2' Perforated Lance Tooth felling, need to clean to find an etch
•Cant Hook, haven't looked for marks yet.

Made it home safe from my midnight run!

20180314_224403.jpg

20180314_224417.jpg

20180314_224411.jpg

20180314_224419.jpg

•Collins Hatchet on the handle
•Collins Brush Hook
•Sears Hatchet
•Kelly Vandium Hatchet
•Homestead with lugs
•Stanley Linesman
•2 unknown to me, possible Mann, cedar type pattern
•5&1/2' Perforated Lance Tooth felling, need to clean to find an etch
•Cant Hook, haven't looked for marks yet.

Those 2 " cedar type " heads would actually be modern potentially made in Mexico interpretations of the Michigan pattern.
Probably Mann, but that doesn't mean they weren't made in kexiMe though.

Still a decent lot, and those two late michigans would be great for modification or beater / loaner axes.

Those 2 " cedar type " heads would actually be modern potentially made in Mexico interpretations of the Michigan pattern.
Probably Mann, but that doesn't mean they weren't made in kexiMe though.

Still a decent lot, and those two late michigans would be great for modification or beater / loaner axes.

Thanks man.
Not sure if you noticed this SEARS M, I know we have shared our like of craftsman before...

20180315_002949.jpg

Ya these two guys are definetly beat and loans...reminds me I have a cousin that has borrowed a Chinese hung michigan for a weekend about 6 months ago...

20180315_003548.jpg

Of the two the US96 on the right has a better feel to it...if that makes any sense.
I am most pleased to pull the cant hook. I can put it right to use as is, i will clean it a bit first though, and that's perfect because I could use one.

20180315_003101.jpg

My first perforated lance tooth...still working on clearing up around a faint etch I found late last night...obsessed mad scientist early morning hours late...

20180315_005237.jpg

Hoping to scratch out some time today for more cleaning to expose the etch more clearly.

Back