It followed me home (Part 2)

Last edited:

Got these at a last minute stop by a buddy’s house. First is what I believe to be a Wards Master Quality I believe. By the looks of the casting, this example didn’t get the same quality. But still a decent little lathing hatchet.

I need some help with the next one. A hatchet marked diamond something... I’m guessing shapleigh’s diamond edge but maybe not?

Then a nice Dayton Woodslasher. Had a little red paint on the bottom side still. And the eye ridges...

Any help with The hatchet ID would be great! Thanks for looking!!

Maybe that DIAMOND is one of the ones from China like these ones found elsewhere online:

9237820498_880ae32880_z.jpg

9237935706_4bdd6c07fa_z.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

I thought that at first too but the placement of the stamp is off. And I have one of those hatchets. It’s not convex and this one is. It has a decently high centerline. Those are the two things that make me think it is not a China made hatchet. The placement could just be bad but it is convex and the Chinese example is not.... but who knows. And is there an E at the end of diamond or am I wanting to see that?

Here is my Chinese hatchet with diamond stamp next to the hatchet in question...

I just don’t think it is. If this is just wishful thinking please tell me. I just don’t see this being from The orient. But anything is possible.

Top view

Last edited:
I thought that Imperial fixed blade looked familiar, I believe it's a 1950's pilots knife issued before they came out with the common sawback JPK issued during Vietnam and onwards.
I just thought it was plain hh-5 Sportsman's Knife. Although, different shape of the sheath. (page 41 of the catalog) http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Imperial/ibdennis-Jackmaster1952.pdf
After you mentioned pilot knife i found this link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27058-schrade-walden-knife-gi-issue/ So, I am not sure about it anymore.

It looks really bad(maybe Dremel grinding marks), needs some love, but it is actually very sharp as it is.

I thought that at first too but the placement of the stamp is off. And I have one of those hatchets. It’s not convex and this one is. It has a decently high centerline. Those are the two things that make me think it is not a China made hatchet. The placement could just be bad but it is convex and the Chinese example is not.... but who knows. And is there an E at the end of diamond or am I wanting to see that?

I'm agreeing with you and Bradenk1987. And I think I might see the E and maybe the D. It helps that some examples of the Diamond Edge stamps were plain type, and not part of a diamond logo:

vintage-axe-head-diamond-edge_1_1198f17f55299c20acf638aebfe82e16.jpg

very-old-antique-diamond-edge-broad-axe-broad_1_82ddb6cac568fa9852d7be2403fa497b.jpg

very-old-antique-diamond-edge-broad-axe-broad_1_82ddb6cac568fa9852d7be2403fa497b.jpg

I'm agreeing with you and Bradenk1987. And I think I might see the E and maybe the D. It helps that some examples of the Diamond Edge stamps were plain type, and not part of a diamond logo:

Steve you have made me a happy guy!! Validation from Steve Tall is like finding that Kelly Perfect stamp under a smooth layer of rust!!!!! Haha thank you sir!!

I just thought it was plain hh-5 Sportsman's Knife. Although, different shape of the sheath. (page 41 of the catalog) http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Imperial/ibdennis-Jackmaster1952.pdf
After you mentioned pilot knife i found this link: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27058-schrade-walden-knife-gi-issue/ So, I am not sure about it anymore.

It looks really bad(maybe Dremel grinding marks), needs some love, but it is actually very sharp as it is.

Hmm, well how thick is the blade ?
And is the guard nickle silver ?
In that catalog these fixed blades were under their Hammer brand.

This sheath looks like the standard cheap sheath that came with knives like the H6, so I'm not sure.

It's probably just the commercial knife but if you post it in the Bernard Levine's collectors and identification forum you may get confirmation.

I get to look forward to these posts by JB like to a special treat...Thanks!:)

Those riveting dies,rivet-sets,are neat.They make a great,correct fastening,and look it too,afterwards.Very much work and fuel to make,have you a need for something like that.
Riveting is a fantastic way of fastening,and highly engineered,so proper setting tools are a must if called for.

Back