It followed me home (Part 2)

Nothing exotic... found on Ebay ($15..."make an offer") ... True Temper U.S.A. 8lb.
maul. Suffers from adolescent acne but still appears to be a functional hunk of American
steel. I brushed the rust off and honed the already established edge. I will re-hang this
week. Should be fun to work with....feels powerful. Not too pretty is it ? :cool:
Charles
https://imgur.com/a/Kz6KiX5
Beauty is in the eye of beholder. I am 100 % positive I do not need more mauls, but whenever I see TT maul that unusual shape makes my hand reach for wallet :) It is some kind of TT maul sickness

I brought this home today after soccer...

20180519_133933.jpg

20180519_133957.jpg

20180519_134017.jpg

20180519_134030.jpg

20180519_134025.jpg

20180519_134037.jpg

20180519_134055.jpg

20180519_134101.jpg

20180519_134045.jpg

20180519_133946.jpg

•The Collins 1 1/4lb. Hatchet came to me as an unknown.
•The top axe head I believe to be a G. W. Bradley, Weston CT...connie as i like to think and see it as...
•The bottom axe head reads, Cast Steel and below that the number 94 with hints of red within the numbers
•The saw maker, J.P.H. Everkeen, I have not heard of but its straight and teeth look to be plenty servicable. I like the lesser known (to me) makers
•The perforated lance felling I could not pass up, for a few reasons. I have a hard time saying no, its teeth are still pretty long, it was cheap, I have a western handle ;) (thank muleman77) that may look reeeaaal good on her, and it's only a 5' straight blade. I can make it a buck saw and single feller...if I ever come across the right conditions.
•American Boy plane, made by Stanley
•The cobblers hammer(?) Just neat to save, it's very loose and needs to be rehung, great little handle
•...and of course the awesome 1944 US PLUMB military mattock

A cool little rescue from the crusher!
I do not know what kind of scrap yards do you visit (municipal, commercial). Wherever I go, I am being told they do not sort or some do not even buy ferrous metals. I do not know, maybe I need to start the conversation with 6-pack of IPA in my hand. Any suggestions?

crbnSteeladdict... I too was drawn to the shape.... I have seen a 1950 True Temper catalog
with this maul pictured... they were labelled an "Oregon" model... and, came with the oval
eye or the 2 bit eye. The price seemed reasonable ... not a steal , but a steel. ;)

Charles

Nothing exotic... found on Ebay ($15..."make an offer") ... True Temper U.S.A. 8lb.
maul. Suffers from adolescent acne but still appears to be a functional hunk of American
steel. I brushed the rust off and honed the already established edge. I will re-hang this
week. Should be fun to work with....feels powerful. Not too pretty is it ? :cool:
Charles
https://imgur.com/a/Kz6KiX5

Beauty is in the eye of beholder. I am 100 % positive I do not need more mauls, but whenever I see TT maul that unusual shape makes my hand reach for wallet :) It is some kind of TT maul sickness

I share and enjoy in both your good tastes sirs

t5jSQLX.jpg

Sadly mine came to me with a cracked but original handle

4AQwKWg.jpg

...that I nicely married to this near 6lb.'er Quikwerk

wQ0B7FZ.png

I do not know what kind of scrap yards do you visit (municipal, commercial). Wherever I go, I am being told they do not sort or some do not even buy ferrous metals. I do not know, maybe I need to start the conversation with 6-pack of IPA in my hand. Any suggestions?

A beer and a smile has worked more for me than not ;):thumbsup:

Miller'72 excellent re-purposing of a damaged handle . I have started a smallish pile
of "cut-off" hafts to be used at some point down the road. And... always on the look -
out for "blems" attached to damaged hand tools. :thumbsup:

Charles

Back