It followed me home (Part 2)

Really cool stuff!

The shovel is fascinating! The image showing the front of the shovel makes it difficult to see the rivet connecting the front of the socket to the blade. But it must be there. The back takes most of the load but some stiffness is gained by having that one rivet connecting the blade to the front of the socket. That connection would be in tension during use. The back of the socket would be in compression.

What's the maker's name?

Love the little Black Diamond. I'm interested.
Actually i forgot to do a close-up of the front of the shovel. That closeup pic is of the back. But yes there is a rivet there. I'll take a few more pics and post em. The maker is IXL (in a rectangle). Then the letters
C.HPH?D. I think the missing letter is an E but I'm not sure.
I was totally pumped as i was cleaning the Walters because the words black diamond were not visible at all! It weighs #2-1.8oz and measures 7" with "3-1/4" bits.

Really cool stuff!

The shovel is fascinating! The image showing the front of the shovel makes it difficult to see the rivet connecting the front of the socket to the blade. But it must be there. The back takes most of the load but some stiffness is gained by having that one rivet connecting the blade to the front of the socket. That connection would be in tension during use. The back of the socket would be in compression.

What's the maker's name?

Love the little Black Diamond. I'm
What is that axe in the middle of the photo? The shiny one? Looks nice...

Really cool stuff!

What's the maker's name?

Love the little Black Diamond. I'm interested.
Here's some pics of the shovel. Do you know who IXL is as a maker or distributor?
Front of shovel;
d6qoSca.jpg

Back of it;
g70Vt45.jpg
V3qUcrP.jpg
vAifgla.jpg
3z8YY3E.jpg
C5t6nlJ.jpg

Do you know who IXL is as a maker or distributor?

content

IXL
Ser. No. 55,969
Ames Shovel and Tool Company, Jersey City NJ and Boston Mass.
Filed Apr 26, 1911
Description of goods - shovels, spades, and scoops
Claims use since June 12, 1877

from Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office, Volume 168
July 4, 1911
Page 240

=============

Oliver Ames & Sons operated in Easton from 1844 - 1901.
In 1901 they were reorganized as Ames Shovel and Tool Co. and merged with H. M. Myers Shovel Co., T. Rowland's Sons, Wright Shovel Co. and Elwood Steel Plant.
In 1952 the name was changed to O. Ames Co.

from https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioAmesShovel.html

content

IXL
Ser. No. 55,969
Ames Shovel and Tool Company, Jersey City NJ and Boston Mass.
Filed Apr 26, 1911
Description of goods - shovels, spades, and scoops
Claims use since June 12, 1877

from Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office, Volume 168
July 4, 1911
Page 240

=============

Oliver Ames & Sons operated in Easton from 1844 - 1901.
In 1901 they were reorganized as Ames Shovel and Tool Co. and merged with H. M. Myers Shovel Co., T. Rowland's Sons, Wright Shovel Co. and Elwood Steel Plant.
In 1952 the name was changed to O. Ames Co.

from https://www.davistownmuseum.org/bioAmesShovel.html
Thank you Steve! Man oh man you seem to have info coming out of your "eyes". Super interesting... I'm very pleased with the shovel. It's in great shape.

Find a good local welder. Un-hang it. Ask him to grind it open (or do that yourself). Make a good v-groove down the crack on the poll and get into the eye as far as is convenient. Have him preheat the poll and weld it with 7018 rod. You could wrap the cheeks with a wet rag if you're concerned about the temper but you're not likely to damage bit temper while welding the poll.
@Agent_H There is something weird about that Plumb. The hatchet looks unbalanced; like somebody has ground down most of the poll.

Back